WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

rise of the apes (or is it dawn of the apes?) (Read 4848 times)
Jul 10th, 2014 at 3:06pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

i can never remember. i will be seeing this sommewhere this weekend. sommewhere. my big question is still how the hell are they going to get this franchise back on track. meaning how the hell are they going to get human astronauts to go 5000 years into the future with present day technology AND have them be oblivious to the fact that apes have begun revolting and hijacking airplanes and flying their i.q. boost gas all over the world. i suppose they could land on the earth of the future and say "wow. looks like the apes won"
if you see it on friday don't forget to use spoiler alerts.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jul 10th, 2014 at 10:30pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

The Icarus and Taylor are mentioned in a broadcast in Rise of the Planet of the Apes and later in the movie a newspaper reports that the ship is lost in space. This all happens before the contagion and subsequent ape revolt so if they want to go that route, the ship is already on its' way.  Some space anomaly might propel the damned thing into the future.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jul 13th, 2014 at 12:46am

kirok   Offline
God Member

i thought it sucked pretty bad. i would not recommend you rush out to see this one. there was no mention of the icarus.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jul 13th, 2014 at 8:21pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

I thought it was the second best film I've seen this summer. (first was Edge of Tomorrow)
Also one of the better sequels I've seen avoiding just about all the cliches. (Transformers 4 hit just about EVERY sequel cliches starting with the ones who saved us in the last film are now our enemies and banned by the government for some reason.)

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Aug 10th, 2014 at 8:34pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

If the last Apes film (RISE) was a re-imagining of CONQUEST OF THE PLANET OF THE APES (the 4th in the original series), this is sort of BATTLE FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES PART I.

What I like about the re-boot is that they have been smart films which treat the story (and the audience) intelligently (unlike the laughable Marky Mark-Tim Burton disaster). They are serious thoughtful blockbuster movies, and, if for that alone, they are a cut above the norm.

But, the seriousness cuts both ways. One one hand, it elevates the stakes, on the other - where is the sense of fun? Like this year's GODZILLA re-boot, the filmmakers seem to be trying ape (sorry) Nolan's BATMAN films with the idea that seriousness denotes quality. That the APES reboots work is a tribute to the writing, acting, production and directing.

What's most interesting about DAWN is that they give us the Apes POV first and foremost (indeed, the first 20 minutes or so is set entirely in Ape world). The humans are treated very much like the invaders. Unfortunately, the character development of the humans is also secondary, with Gary Oldman's one-note character being the worst example.

There is also a sense of this being just a sequel. A segment. A Part I of a two part BATTLE storyline. Hopefully, there will be more suprises and sense of story urgency in the next one besides just a Part II of the war. Oh, an a little more fun wouldn't hurt, either.

IP Logged