WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

RIP Radioactive Rich Macchi - brother marathoid (Read 9152 times)
May 9th, 2014 at 9:22am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

"We few..... we happy few" Rich Macchi one of the original Crusaders of Damnation Alley during the Coolidge years has passed away.  Rich began attending the 'thon during our first go-round at the Somerville theater.  I got to know him during the Coolidge years when our groups would fight to be first on line in order to have the front row and the bragging rights.  It was a good-natured competition that quickly grew into a friendship because we started to arrive so early that the groups had 10-12 hours of waiting until the doors opened. We quickly learned to survive overnight on the cold streets of Brookline.  We slept in tents, we had food, we had portable propane heaters, we knew when the first coffee shop would open for java and a bathroom break.  Mostly, we the fellowship of like-minded people who enjoyed the ritual of meeting in the freezing cold once a year.  We only met once a year, but the bond that was forged in Damnation Alley is a strong one.  Rich was in the center of all of these proceedings.  He always brought something of value to the group.  We would share all that had happened in the year between events.  We would discuss movies, books and all manner of nonsense.  What I remember the most is the laughter and the good feelings generated within this group.  Again, Rich was at the center of this. He was the real deal.  A warm and decent man with a great sense of humor and arms stretched out not to take but rather to give.  He did not attend the last 'thon and he was sorely missed.  His absence will be felt at all future 'thons.  He will aways be one of the front row crew. I wish my friend were still here.  I know that I am going to miss him terribly.  Go easy into the either, brother

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #1 - May 10th, 2014 at 10:30am

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Frank wrote on May 9th, 2014 at 9:22am:
"We few..... we happy few" Rich Macchi one of the original Crusaders of Damnation Alley during the Coolidge years has passed away.  Rich began attending the 'thon during our first go-round at the Somerville theater.  I got to know him during the Coolidge years when our groups would fight to be first on line in order to have the front row and the bragging rights.  It was a good-natured competition that quickly grew into a friendship because we started to arrive so early that the groups had 10-12 hours of waiting until the doors opened. We quickly learned to survive overnight on the cold streets of Brookline.  We slept in tents, we had food, we had portable propane heaters, we knew when the first coffee shop would open for java and a bathroom break.  Mostly, we the fellowship of like-minded people who enjoyed the ritual of meeting in the freezing cold once a year.  We only met once a year, but the bond that was forged in Damnation Alley is a strong one.  Rich was in the center of all of these proceedings.  He always brought something of value to the group.  We would share all that had happened in the year between events.  We would discuss movies, books and all manner of nonsense.  What I remember the most is the laughter and the good feelings generated within this group.  Again, Rich was at the center of this. He was the real deal.  A warm and decent man with a great sense of humor and arms stretched out not to take but rather to give.  He did not attend the last 'thon and he was sorely missed.  His absence will be felt at all future 'thons.  He will aways be one of the front row crew. I wish my friend were still here.  I know that I am going to miss him terribly.  Go easy into the either, brother            

Very nice tribute, Frank.

R.I.P. to our fellow traveller in the history of the Marathon.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - May 13th, 2014 at 9:16am

Caleb451   Offline
NYC

RIP Rich.

Dinner break? What's a dinner break?
IP Logged

Reply #3 - May 13th, 2014 at 1:33pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

R.I.P. Radioactive Rich
The first-in-liners are some of the thon's true believers.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #4 - May 16th, 2014 at 1:51am

Caleb451   Offline
NYC

Does anyone have a photo of Rich they can post?
I'm sure I would recognize him and would like to be able to remember him properly.

Dinner break? What's a dinner break?
IP Logged

Reply #5 - May 16th, 2014 at 5:45pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Caleb451 wrote on May 16th, 2014 at 1:51am:
Does anyone have a photo of Rich they can post?
I'm sure I would recognize him and would like to be able to remember him properly.

All I can offer are these videos from YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x935Lr5HO0&list=PL475E533E97DA40AE&index=37

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwINdEsGyGI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLEUyE58_Cw

If he's there maybe can get a decent screengrab.
« Last Edit: May 16th, 2014 at 10:30pm by da_Bunnyman »  

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #6 - May 20th, 2014 at 5:06pm

Metaluna   Offline

Do we still have a link to the SF photo page? He showed up pretty clearly in one of the crowd shots.

Here is a link to his memorial page on facebook. There are lots of pictures there and a post about marathon memories of Rich.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/richmacchi/

When the last of my old group of marathon-goers had given up I joined up with Rich and his group. He is the one who gave me the stuffed Marvin the Martian that I bring with me. Lately we mostly only had time waiting in line to chat. I thought we would have time for a lot more of those waits.

He was my friend for more than twenty years. He was my roommate for two years. Some of that even overlapped. Grin

He will be missed.

"MAKE ME A SERGEANT, CHARGE THE BOOZE!"
IP Logged