WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

PAUL MANTEE - Robinson Crusoe on Mars R.I.P. (Read 5284 times)
Nov 14th, 2013 at 3:36pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

PAUL MANTEE, star of Marathon favorite, ROBINSON CRUSOE ON MARS has passed on. Born Paul Marianetti, Mantee was best known to SF fans for ROBINSON CRUSOE as well as a roles in DAY OF THE ANIMALS, THE MANITOU and guest spots on Six Million Dollar Man, Time Tunnel, The Invaders, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea and more. ROBINSON CRUSOE was shown at SF/5 and SF/15 and is considered a mini-classic by sci-fi fans of a certain age.

Mantee did a string of TV shows over the years including regular supporting appearances on Cagney & Lacey and Hunter.

I got to work briefly with Mantee on DRAGON: THE BRUCE LEE STORY and saw him again at Comic Con several years ago, where he was trying to drum up support for a proposed sequel/remake of ROBINSON CRUSOE ON MARS. He was very generous in taking questions, signing autographs and even giving out free copies of the original film. He still spoke proudly of what was largely a one-man performance. A key one in SF film history, not to be forgotten.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Nov 14th, 2013 at 10:28pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

it's a little known fact that RCOM was an inspiration to SK for 2001 ASO.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Nov 14th, 2013 at 11:38pm

Lile   Offline
SF Rocks

RCOM has always been a favorite film of mine, I'm sad to hear that he's passed away.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Nov 15th, 2013 at 9:35am

kirok   Offline
God Member

omg. victor lunden, who played Friday in RCOM, passed away last june. IALNF that he was the first klingon to appear on star trek. he was a lieutenant on "errand of mercy". he also appeared in time tunnel and voyage to the bottom of the sea.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Nov 15th, 2013 at 2:13pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

kirok wrote on Nov 14th, 2013 at 10:28pm:
it's a little known fact that RCOM was an inspiration to SK for 2001 ASO.

Citation? Source?

All I've read is that Kubrick screened the film when prepping for 2001 - but, he also screened dozens of SF films.

IP Logged