WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Richard Matheson (Read 4359 times)
Jun 24th, 2013 at 5:18pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

We lost one of the greats today.  Richard Matheson has passed.  One of the best and most prolific writers of science fiction and horror.   Cry

« Last Edit: Jun 24th, 2013 at 9:03pm by Frank »  

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jun 24th, 2013 at 7:05pm

Caleb451   Offline
NYC

I am Legend, Duel, The Night Stalker, The Incredible Shrinking Man, almost as many Twilight Episodes as Rod Serling, Night Gallery, Star Trek, A Stir of Echoes, The Prey (Trilogy of Terror) and the list goes on and on.
Impossible to understate his importance to the genre.

Dinner break? What's a dinner break?
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jun 25th, 2013 at 9:07am

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

It is now more poignant that INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN was a centerpiece of this year''s marathon. An immense talent across many media. His kind doesn't come along often.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jun 26th, 2013 at 9:38am

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

I came here knowing that LA and others would have posted on Matheson.
I did not hear of his death until this morning when I read a full page tribute on page 2 of the Cleveland Plain Dealer. It is detailed, hugely respectful and covers not only his work but his influence.
http://www.cleveland.com/tv-blog/index.ssf/2013/06/richard_matheson_legendary_fa...
Not surprising given that the author, the PD television critic, was not just a friend but a colleague, having edited three of Matherson's short story collections.
To add to the detail mentioned by Caleb & LA - - -
Matheson wrote the screenplays of many of the Poe movies, influenced Romero,Stephen King & most other subsequent creators in the genre. His plethora of television and movie scripts practically defined the genre.
Quote: "I don't like the word horror. --- Horror is something visceral, whereas terror is something mental. . . I prefer terror.Horror has become a dirty word. It means blood and guts...body parts. Boris Karloff was a horror actor... Lovectaft a horror writer Now everyone just thinks of the gruesome movie stuff."

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged