WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

IRON MAN 3 (Read 11427 times)
May 20th, 2013 at 2:36pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

The first IRON MAN movie is probably the best of the recent wave of comic book flicks - a fast, witty and even wise origin story with a recognizably "human" superhero. And, it wasn't just an Iron Man show. There was also Tony Stark and a pretty touching love story with Pepper Potts.

The second film was a pretty big betrayal. It made the mistake of many a sequel, substituting bigger special effects, louder explosions and flashier action sequences for the human drama that was the core of the original. Plus, they brought in a then trendy actor to garner attention (Mickey Rourke, hot off his 'comeback' with THE WRESTLER. The 'comeback' didn't really last and he's back doing stuff like JAVA HEAT and sequels to THE EXPENDABLES and SIN CITY).

But, the IRON MAN series was lucky and survived II's debacle that could have killed other franchises. Not only did it still have it's ace in the hole - Robert Downey Jr. - but, a featured appearance in the superhero tag team film THE AVENGERS. Downey and Tony Stark shined in this otherwise bloated epic.

Now, comes IRON MAN 3. It's definitely better than II - much better. Still, there's a bit too much going on for its own good. Too many subplots, and, yes, too much in the way of wearying "exciting" action set-pieces. And, while a valid topic, it is getting a bit too easy to use "terrorism" as a backdrop in movies from THE DARK KNIGHT to TREK to not one, but two, White House under siege flicks coming this year. I'm not in the "too soon" crowd, but, this is getting dangerously close to not only over-usage, but, verging on piling on (how many vaguely "Russian" student bomber subplots are we going to see in the coming years on TV and in the movies?)

Fortunately, you still have Stark & Pepper at the center. Although it's still a bit odd to see an Oscar-winning actress play "the girlfriend" (Natalie Portman is also doing the second banana thing in THOR. You would NEVER see Daniel Day Lewis playing "the boyfriend" in a female-centric series).

The villains are good, and I've rarely seen - the usually intense to the point of looking like his bald head is about to explode - Ben Kinglsey have so much fun with a role. He's a hoot.

IRON MAN 3 is certainly worth seeing. The question is whether the series will survive the threatened departure of Robert Downey Jr.? He admits that he is pushing the age where he can't handle all the physicality (he apparently broke an ankle shutting down production for a while) much longer, although he has been announced to be in AVENGERS II. I can see "Tony Stark" continuing to be part of the series, but, not necessarily IN the Iron Man suit all the time.

Possible Minor Spoilers:

As others have pointed out, with The Mandarin threatening to terrorize the entire world, why didn't ANY of the other Avengers help out? Geez, they all supposedly bonded just last summer (as the snot-nosed kid keeps pointing out), and nobody lends a hand?
Also, wouldn't it have been kinda well-known where Tony Stark lived? Why is it such a big deal that he gives his address on TV? It's not like he lived in a remote cave! It's a #$#$ing Mansion on an exclusive seaside cliff!

IP Logged

Reply #1 - May 20th, 2013 at 5:29pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

who's the snot nosed kid? cap?

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #2 - May 20th, 2013 at 10:14pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

I liked the film as an action film.
Can't really say it's a great superhero movie.
Besides turning one of Iron Man's long time arch villains into a clown (imagine leaving a hint that the Mandarin really was the menace he pretended to be, keeps the fans happy and sets up that Tony was fooled and is not as smart as he thinks he is.)
But worse still was how much of the movie was not Iron Man but the adventures of Iron Man's suit while Stark just stays on the sidelines.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #3 - May 20th, 2013 at 10:25pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

da_Bunnyman wrote on May 20th, 2013 at 10:14pm:
But worse still was how much of the movie was not Iron Man but the adventures of Iron Man's suit while Stark just stays on the sidelines.

I really do think that is where the series is headed. If they want to keep Robert Downey Jr much longer, they are going have to put him more and more on the "sidelines"....  Wink

IP Logged

Reply #4 - May 21st, 2013 at 6:45pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on May 20th, 2013 at 10:25pm:
da_Bunnyman wrote on May 20th, 2013 at 10:14pm:

I really do think that is where the series is headed. If they want to keep Robert Downey Jr much longer, they are going have to put him more and more on the "sidelines"....  Wink

Yeah but since the armor has a full face covering you can write Stark still being the action hero even while Downey has gone back to his trailer for the day.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - May 21st, 2013 at 9:07pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

So I guess the whole spoiler warning thing is pretty much gone, right?  I can't wait until I get to spoil the next movie.  Not everyone has seen Iron Man 3 and if you are going to discuss plot points a spoiler warning would be friggin helpful, just sayin'.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #6 - May 21st, 2013 at 10:23pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

?

I don't see any real spoilers. Downey Jr is all over TV and the internets talking about lessening his role in the series. The producers have addressed it and talked about how happy they were to announce Downey for AVENGERS II
« Last Edit: May 22nd, 2013 at 6:45pm by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #7 - May 22nd, 2013 at 6:51pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Sorry, didn't realize Mandarin was an established character - it's just a word for a type of Orange or Chinese Food to me!
And, the whole suit thing is a bit overblown - it's more of a down the road type of thing.

But, just for the record.......

Bad spoiler, Kirok, bad!

and

Bad spoiler, Da Bunnyman, bad!

IP Logged

Reply #8 - May 22nd, 2013 at 8:08pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Not only that but Rosebud is a sleigh.

Okay seriously sorry for the spoiler.

(And if you knew what Hearst really called Rosebud you'd know why he was so upset at Welles)

IP Logged

Reply #9 - May 22nd, 2013 at 8:22pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

da_Bunnyman wrote on May 22nd, 2013 at 8:08pm:
Not only that but Rosebud is a sleigh.

Okay seriously sorry for the spoiler.

(And if you knew what Hearst really called Rosebud you'd know why he was so upset at Welles)

Discussing a movie released in 41 is exactly the same as discussing a brand new one.   

By the way, thanks for telling me how it won;t spoil MY enjoyment of the movie this weekend. Roll Eyes

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #10 - May 22nd, 2013 at 8:26pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

L.A. Connection wrote on May 22nd, 2013 at 6:51pm:
Sorry, didn't realize Mandarin was an established character - it's just a word for a type of Orange or Chinese Food to me!
And, the whole suit thing is a bit overblown - it's more of a down the road type of thing.

Kinda of the entire point about using *spoiler alert* .  I guess I should know better than to expect anything but a sincere apology here.  No, folks always have to add a wiseass remark.

By the way, I did not single out Bernie as his remark is so vague it is not even a spoiler to me. 

IP Logged

Reply #11 - May 23rd, 2013 at 6:53am

kirok   Offline
God Member

you mean, i can't say darth vader is luke skywalker's father?

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged