WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

RIP Harryhausen One of the last of the greats. (Read 8470 times)
May 7th, 2013 at 11:58am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

RIP to the master, Ray Harryhausen. A tip of the hat to one of the men who was a huge part of my childhood. His effects enthralled me from the start and filled a young boy with a sense of wonder that has rarely been equalled. I won't even attempt to list all of his accomplishments.  His body of work in science fiction and fantasy has few equals and no superiors. He is well known at the marathon having been with us right from the start with Earth Versus the Flying Saucers. We saw First Men in the Moon, 20 Million Miles to Earth, Mysterious Island, It Came From Beneath The Sea and Valley of Gwangi. Let's not forget One Million Years B.C. His body of work in fantasy is just as impressive: Mighty Joe Young, 3 Worlds of Gulliver, Seventh Voyage of Sinbad and the sequels, Jason and the Argonauts, Clash of the Titans. He has influenced countless of directors and effects artists. A master in every respect. I happily met the man back in 1993 and I had a brief chat with him on an elevator along with Ray Bradbury and Robert Bloch. I went right to Harryhausen and thanked him for the wonderful memories his films gave me and how his art impacted on a young child. He smiled broadly and we spoke briefly but he was everything that I had hoped he would be: a consumate artist who had not forgotten the folks for whom he had crafted his special magic. This passing really hurts as one of the very few remaining links with my childhood has now passed. Godspeed good sir and thank you for the Ymir, giant octopi with six legs, Mr. Joseph Young of Africa, cyclopes and dragons, flying saucers, Talos, harpies, living skeletons, hydras, selenites, moon calves, giant bees, medusa and all of the rest. They will keep me company and always remind me of your genius and greatness.
« Last Edit: May 7th, 2013 at 3:38pm by Frank »  

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #1 - May 7th, 2013 at 12:42pm

Caleb451   Offline
NYC

Gone but never forgotten. The Terrific Trio is once again united!

Dinner break? What's a dinner break?
IP Logged

Reply #2 - May 7th, 2013 at 1:27pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

No words can approximate the loss we in the 'thon community feel today. Would there have been a Marathon without Ray Harryhausen. Probably. But, would it have been the same? No way in hell.

As hard as it may be for some younger Marathoners to fully comprehend, Harryhausen's work truly transformed the cinema. His Honorary Oscar a few years ago was richly deserved. When one watches a modern day special effects film, the end credits roll can sometimes take 5 full minutes. Harryhausen often worked alone (or with just an assistant or two) to achieve some of the most remarkable effects in the history of cinema. Seeing JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS (his finest achievement overall IMHOP) as a young kid scared the hell out of me, but in a good way in the long run!

In retrospect, Harryhausen had the good sense to retire after 1981's CLASH OF THE TITANS. He could see that computers were taking over and that his hand-crafted masterworks were already considered passe in the era of STAR WARS, CLOSE ENCOUNTERS etc. It's a damn shame, however, that were cheated out of 30 more years of his wonderous creations.

On a personal note, I got to meet Ray several times over the years. He is also a member of what my Writing partner Paul Parla and I call, "The June 29th club" (Paul and I were born on that date, along with Ray AND Bernard Herrmann!). One glorious afternoon about 20 years ago, Paul and his wife arranged for a private get together at Ray's home near the beach. We four spent an entire afternoon together talking about his work, sipping tea and just enjoying the afternoon. A finer afternoon I cannot recollect.

Certainly, a tribute in some way at next year's SF/39 will be in order. But, it will still not be enough to fully thank the man for his contributions.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - May 8th, 2013 at 6:39am

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

A loss of a true artist and craftsman.
When you think of it, he was the first special effects person whose name you knew above the star of the picture.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #4 - May 8th, 2013 at 7:42am

kirok   Offline
God Member

da_Bunnyman wrote on May 8th, 2013 at 6:39am:
When you think of it, he was the first special effects person whose name you knew above the star of the picture.

evidently you have forgotten about george pal. how on earth could you forget george pal. not to detract from mr. harryhausen.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #5 - May 8th, 2013 at 11:33am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Pal, while he dabbled in animation, was primarily a producer and director, not the actual hand-on special effects artist that Harryhausen was.

kirok wrote on May 8th, 2013 at 7:42am:

evidently you have forgotten about george pal. how on earth could you forget george pal. not to detract from mr. harryhausen.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - May 8th, 2013 at 11:54am

kirok   Offline
God Member

L.A. Connection wrote on May 8th, 2013 at 11:33am:
Pal, while he dabbled in animation, was primarily a producer and director, not the actual hand-on special effects artist that Harryhausen was.

kirok wrote on May 8th, 2013 at 7:42am:

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=john+henry+george+pal&view=detail&mid=6BA174...

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #7 - May 8th, 2013 at 2:26pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Anybody with the SONYHD movie channel can watch a new documentary and three of his Sinbad films. Ironically, this Harryhausen tribute was already scheduled and my DVR had already been set.
I'm sure that TCM will also be showing several of his films very soon.
http://www.sonymoviechannel.com/

IP Logged

Reply #8 - May 10th, 2013 at 6:15pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

Here's a link to a live interview with the master that was re-broadcast yesterday on Fresh Air.
http://www.npr.org/2013/05/09/181947528/remembering-monster-maker-ray-harryhause...

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged