WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11
Photo of the Day (Read 138538 times)
Reply #90 - Sep 13th, 2013 at 2:05pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Cool photo of Debbie Harry looking...er...cool, on the set of Amos Poe's underground film, THE FOREIGNER:

IP Logged

Reply #91 - Sep 18th, 2013 at 4:52pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #92 - Sep 18th, 2013 at 5:31pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

R_F_Fineman wrote on Sep 18th, 2013 at 4:52pm:

I'll drink to that!

Care for a snack, to go with it?

IP Logged

Reply #93 - Sep 24th, 2013 at 8:58pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Wish I could remember the year this took place because it just might be the first film marathon I ever went to.

Wow a whole half a buck discount.

A fun nights entertainment. It ended up being held at the Liberty Tree Mall Cinema in Danvers which was still a single house at the time with a huge screen. Pre video days of course and no revival houses in the suburbs so for many fans it was the first chance to see these films. hard Days Night & Help were both still very funny. Yellow Submarine was really trippy since I'd only seen it on TV before. Let It Be was likely a first viewing for most of the crowd since it got limited distribution when it first came out. Sad watching it and knowing they were no longer together but that rooftop concert at the end is a great last look.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #94 - Sep 24th, 2013 at 9:04pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Well, 50cents is 1/8th of the $4 ticket price - not bad.

On a side note, I was watching TCM the other night and they showed an old MGM promo reel and they spotlighted the exciting 2nd music-filled film with........

......HERMAN'S HERMITS!

Forget about 2001, FAR FROM THE MADDENING CROWD, ICE STATION ZEBRA - MGM has Mrs. Brown, You've Got a Lovely Daughter coming to a theater near you!

Funny, how so many rock films from the 60s are totally forgotten now. Really, TWO Herman's Hermits movies?!!

da_Bunnyman wrote on Sep 24th, 2013 at 8:58pm:
Wish I could remember the year this took place because it just might be the first film marathon I ever went to.

[img][img]
Wow a whole half a buck discount.

A fun nights entertainment. It ended up being held at the Liberty Tree Mall Cinema in Danvers which was still a single house at the time with a huge screen. Pre video days of course and no revival houses in the suburbs so for many fans it was the first chance to see these films. hard Days Night & Help were both still very funny. Yellow Submarine was really trippy since I'd only seen it on TV before. Let It Be was likely a first viewing for most of the crowd since it got limited distribution when it first came out. Sad watching it and knowing they were no longer together but that rooftop concert at the end is a great last look.

« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2013 at 10:13pm by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #95 - Sep 26th, 2013 at 8:35pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Sep 24th, 2013 at 9:04pm:

On a side note, I was watching TCM the other night and they showed an old MGM promo reel and they spotlighted the exciting 2nd music-filled film with........

......HERMAN'S HERMITS!

Forget about 2001, FAR FROM THE MADDENING CROWD, ICE STATION ZEBRA - MGM has Mrs. Brown, You've Got a Lovely Daughter coming to a theater near you!

Funny, how so many rock films from the 60s are totally forgotten now. Really, TWO Herman's Hermits movies?!!

The Hermits also made a movie called "Hold On" that might just barely qualify as a marathon title. Here's the actual synopsis from IMDb "The rock group Herman's Hermits, on tour in the USA, is offered an opportunity to have a spaceship named after the group. Several people seem to care whether it happens or not."

But never mind the movies, most folks don't even remember most of the groups from that era. Look at the Dave Clark 5 who were considered legit rivals for the Fab Four. They had a movie too of course "Having A Wild Weekend." Course their music was held up from any release till 2008.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #96 - Sep 26th, 2013 at 9:47pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Lots of disposale 60s rock band movies (of course that hasn't changed - a One Direction movie came out recently - who's gonna watch that in 2063??)

Because these movies were seen as here & now disposable items, there is the famous story of how Producer Walter Shenson put a clause in the contracts of HARD DAY'S NIGHT and HELP! where the rights would pass from United Artist to HIM after 15 years. United Artists figured the Beatles would be just another "fad" and agreed - much to Shenson's millions-of-dollars windfall!! UA figured, "who's gonna care about the Beatles fifteen years from now?" Ha!  Cheesy

da_Bunnyman wrote on Sep 26th, 2013 at 8:35pm:
L.A. Connection wrote on Sep 24th, 2013 at 9:04pm:

......HERMAN'S HERMITS!

The Hermits also made a movie called "Hold On" that might just barely qualify as a marathon title. Here's the actual synopsis from IMDb "The rock group Herman's Hermits, on tour in the USA, is offered an opportunity to have a spaceship named after the group. Several people seem to care whether it happens or not."

But never mind the movies, most folks don't even remember most of the groups from that era. Look at the Dave Clark 5 who were considered legit rivals for the Fab Four. They had a movie too of course "Having A Wild Weekend." Course their music was held up from any release till 2008.

IP Logged

Reply #97 - Sep 28th, 2013 at 7:01pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #98 - Sep 30th, 2013 at 10:17pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #99 - Oct 5th, 2013 at 12:32pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

The new "Godzilla (2014)" could be the next big thing!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0831387/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_1 Smiley

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #100 - Oct 15th, 2013 at 10:17am

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Remember when the mugs and t-shirts had artwork of a famous Boston area image juxtaposed on a thematic sci-fi image? I really enjoyed those "Dinosaur vs. The Green Monster", "War of the Worlds spaceships in Kenmore Square" and the "50 ft. Woman in the Public Garden" (etc.) designs.

If the tickets are correct in foretelling a robot year -  maybe something like this:

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #101 - Oct 15th, 2013 at 2:00pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Nice one, RF!

IP Logged

Reply #102 - Oct 15th, 2013 at 3:18pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Why not take this a step further!

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #103 - Oct 15th, 2013 at 3:41pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

NOW, you've gone too far.

R_F_Fineman wrote on Oct 15th, 2013 at 3:18pm:
Why not take this a step further!

[img]

IP Logged

Reply #104 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 9:49am

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Quote:
LA:
NOW, you've gone too far.

Yeah, like Ziggy Stardust I took it all too far!  Wink

As long as I'm at it, here's the King himself and his laptop from the 1950's.

While it may not have had state-of-the-art graphic capabilities it COULD play the vinyl equivalent of MP3s! Wink

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11