WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11
Photo of the Day (Read 138566 times)
Reply #60 - May 31st, 2013 at 3:06pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Yes, I saw GAMMA PEOPLE on TCM a while back as well. It's a pretty whacked out film that veers from too serious, to oddly offbeat humorous.

It was on my Top 10 sci-fi oldies to see for years! I think I posted the story before about owning it on VHS, lending it to a friend, who then got the tape stolen from him!

I tried to get it at the 'thon back in the day when film prints of it were still available. Now, it's not even out there on DVD. VHS copies are going for $30 or so!

R_F_Fineman wrote on May 31st, 2013 at 1:31pm:
"The Gamma People" (1956)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049248/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

[img]

"Gamma People" fanboys? Wink

[img]

I saw this on TCM some months back. Is it a good film? No way! Is it good for the 'thon? Way! Wink They were doing 80's before the 80's were cool. Wink

IP Logged

Reply #61 - Jun 2nd, 2013 at 10:13am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

One of the cast members in 2001 gets updated on the Future of Man:

IP Logged

Reply #62 - Jun 3rd, 2013 at 12:34pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

The House on Haunted Hill

IP Logged

Reply #63 - Jun 5th, 2013 at 7:50pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Who knew that Gotham City had a red light district.

(sorry bat-fans)

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #64 - Jun 7th, 2013 at 10:39am

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

Actually the district is in Columbus.
Seen at their last Marathon---

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #65 - Jun 11th, 2013 at 9:36pm

ed symkus   Offline
SF Rocks

IP Logged

Reply #66 - Jun 13th, 2013 at 2:10pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Christopher Reeve gets made up as the Man Of Steel:

IP Logged

Reply #67 - Jun 17th, 2013 at 2:41pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

File this one under "The Future that was not to Be"

What Michael Jackson will look like in the Year 2000 from an article in the 80s:

It's kind of sad really.

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #68 - Jun 17th, 2013 at 4:10pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Scary sad........

R_F_Fineman wrote on Jun 17th, 2013 at 2:41pm:
File this one under "The Future that was not to Be"

What Michael Jackson will look like in the Year 2000 from an article in the 80s:

[img]

It's kind of sad really.

IP Logged

Reply #69 - Jun 25th, 2013 at 12:25pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Quote:
Scott Carey: I was continuing to shrink, to become... what? The infinitesimal? What was I? Still a human being? Or was I the man of the future? If there were other bursts of radiation, other clouds drifting across seas and continents, would other beings follow me into this vast new world? So close - the infinitesimal and the infinite. But suddenly, I knew they were really the two ends of the same concept. The unbelievably small and the unbelievably vast eventually meet - like the closing of a gigantic circle. I looked up, as if somehow I would grasp the heavens. The universe, worlds beyond number, God's silver tapestry spread across the night. And in that moment, I knew the answer to the riddle of the infinite. I had thought in terms of man's own limited dimension. I had presumed upon nature. That existence begins and ends in man's conception, not nature's. And I felt my body dwindling, melting, becoming nothing. My fears melted away. And in their place came acceptance. All this vast majesty of creation, it had to mean something. And then I meant something, too. Yes, smaller than the smallest, I meant something, too. To God, there is no zero. I still exist!  - Richard Matheson (1926-2013)

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #70 - Jul 8th, 2013 at 7:25pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Ben Nye applying the first test make-up to David (Al) Hedison for “The Fly" 1958

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #71 - Jul 9th, 2013 at 12:11pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Pacific Rim - the early years?

IP Logged

Reply #72 - Jul 9th, 2013 at 7:44pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

From "The Beast of Hollow Mountain (1956)" I saw this and had a flashback to the Saturday afternoon TV of my childhood. I haven't seen and seldom even thought about it since.  The first hour was a better than average western about a new rancher in town suspected of cattle rustling by his neighbors. Then things go terribly wrong... Shocked

From the IMDb:
Quote:
"The first feature film to combine stop-motion animation with anamorphic Cinemascope and color. "

"Willis O'Brien was originally to have also provided the special effects for the film. The beast was animated using two separate stop-motion animation methods. A two foot-high armatured, rubber covered model was moved, exposing a frame at a time. Also utilized was replacement animation", a technique involving several different models of the same character made of plaster, each slightly different to represent a particular action. When filmed in sequence for a few frames per second, the illusion of motion is achieved. The breathing effect of the creature was accomplished by pumping air in small increments into a cavity of the throat of the two foot-high model and then releasing it in the same manner. When seen on the screen the throat rises and falls creating the breathing effect. Two large rubber feet were filmed for the shots of the monster walking. These 'feet' were worn as shoes by a technician.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048992/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #73 - Jul 11th, 2013 at 1:48pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

More of the early pre-production fotos from PACIFIC RIM:

Wink

IP Logged

Reply #74 - Jul 21st, 2013 at 1:12pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

With THE CONJURING at the top of the box office, here's a pic from another similar haunted house flick, THE AMITYVILLE HORROR (apparently referenced in THE CONJURING as well):

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11