WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11
Photo of the Day (Read 137263 times)
Reply #30 - Apr 30th, 2013 at 12:13pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

My new favorite old time movie spaceship. From 1918's Himmelskibett (Heaven Ship) welcome aboard The Excelsior a prop driven biplane ship that flies to Mars. Inside it's like a submarine with steel plating everywhere. Looks like it was built as a full size prop for the film.
The film is listed as the first space opera and it's also the answer to the question what sci fi film did the Danes make BEFORE Reptilicus (1962).

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #31 - Apr 30th, 2013 at 2:48pm

Jon   Offline
MA

When the crew of this thing got to Mars, they must've been really annoyed to find that Frenchman Georges Melies had already come and gone (1902, I think).  We saw "Voyages dans la Lune" (or something like that) at a Marathon some years back.  I recall a wonderful pianist from some local college or other accompanied.  (Gosh, I wish I had a memory!)

IP Logged

Reply #32 - Apr 30th, 2013 at 4:14pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I think your memory is even worse than that!  Wink

I don't recall EVER having live music for A TRIP TO THE MOON. We have had several like AELITA, THE LOST WORLD, METROPOLIS etc with live music, but, never TRIP.

Anyone with alternate evidence?

Jon wrote on Apr 30th, 2013 at 2:48pm:
When the crew of this thing got to Mars, they must've been really annoyed to find that Frenchman Georges Melies had already come and gone (1902, I think).  We saw "Voyages dans la Lune" (or something like that) at a Marathon some years back.  I recall a wonderful pianist from some local college or other accompanied.  (Gosh, I wish I had a memory!)

IP Logged

Reply #33 - Apr 30th, 2013 at 7:52pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Jon wrote on Apr 30th, 2013 at 2:48pm:

Not sure if Melies made it to Mars, there are a lot of shorts to check for that. I know Edison did "A Trip to Mars" in 1910 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np7VImsSMQM

The crew of the Excelsior find a typical utopian society (complete with robes and funny hats) who are upset that the crew brings canned meat with them and are appalled when a crew member shoots a bird.The message of peace and love is undone by an accident of language. "The End" translates in Danish films as one word, 'Slut'.
Check out some scenes courtesy of the IOIC http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjKyBofRLqM

IP Logged

Reply #34 - Apr 30th, 2013 at 9:58pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Speaking of TRIP TO THE MOON, here is the man himself, George Melies at his French toy store:

IP Logged

Reply #35 - May 1st, 2013 at 9:01am

Jon   Offline
MA

I think your memory is even worse than that!   Wink
I don't recall EVER having live music for A TRIP TO THE MOON. We have had several like AELITA, THE LOST WORLD, METROPOLIS etc with live music, but, never TRIP.
Anyone with alternate evidence?

Well, you're right, of course, and I am extremely stupid, and not very focused.  So, in my defense, I can only say -- "never mind." Lips Sealed

The pianist I had in mind was from Babson (So, I remembered that much -feeling like Dory in "Finding Nemo," though), and he did not play for the Melies showing (nobody did).

Still, I loved "Hugo" and being able to see some of the hand-colored versions of a bit of Melies' work.  Wonderful movie, that.  ...Not SF, of course, but magical, nevertheless.

IP Logged

Reply #36 - May 1st, 2013 at 9:08am

Jon   Offline
MA

[size=7]Not sure if Melies made it to Mars, there are a lot of shorts to check for that. I know Edison did "A Trip to Mars" in 1910 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np7VImsSMQM

The crew of the Excelsior find a typical utopian society (complete with robes and funny hats) who are upset that the crew brings canned meat with them and are appalled when a crew member shoots a bird.The message of peace and love is undone by an accident of language. "The End" translates in Danish films as one word, 'Slut'.
Check out some scenes courtesy of the IOIC http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjKyBofRLqM
[/size]

Thanks for this.  I will check out the Edison with great interest. Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #37 - May 1st, 2013 at 10:52am

kirok   Offline
God Member

little known fact. peter sellers was originally cast to play the role of major kong in "dr. strangelove". the story is he hurt his  ankle but some suspect he could not do the texas accent. (i tend to doubt that). the role was offered to john wayne and dan blocker. either of which would have been fantastic. not to detract from slim pickens job.

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/thid=H.4843036145222489&pid=1.7

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #38 - May 1st, 2013 at 7:50pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

kirok wrote on May 1st, 2013 at 10:52am:
little known fact. peter sellers was originally cast to play the role of major kong in "dr. strangelove". the story is he hurt his  ankle but some suspect he could not do the texas accent. (i tend to doubt that). the role was offered to john wayne and dan blocker. either of which would have been fantastic. not to detract from slim pickens job.

Y'know I think I won a pass to the Orson Welles Cinema with that info in one of their weekly trivia questions.
I'm sure Sellers could've done an authentic Texas accent no problem. But there is an alternate version of the story that while Kubrick wanted Sellers to play Major Kong, Sellers did not want to play another character in the film and used the injury as an excuse.

IP Logged

Reply #39 - May 2nd, 2013 at 11:13am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Grant Williams from this year's best Marathon film, THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN.

I think he just finished taking his SAT's, but realized he was using a Number 3 pencil!

IP Logged

Reply #40 - May 2nd, 2013 at 11:34am

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on May 2nd, 2013 at 11:13am:
Grant Williams from this year's best Marathon film, THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN.

I think he just finished taking his SAT's, but realized he was using a Number 3 pencil!

[img]

In the words of Maxwell Smart, That's the second biggest pencil I've ever seem. Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #41 - May 2nd, 2013 at 2:01pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

da_Bunnyman wrote on May 2nd, 2013 at 11:34am:
L.A. Connection wrote on May 2nd, 2013 at 11:13am:

[img]

In the words of Maxwell Smart, That's the second biggest pencil I've ever seem. Smiley

Well, with the recent passing of Harry Reems, it may be time for Da Bunnyman to re-assess his list!

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

Reply #42 - May 2nd, 2013 at 6:34pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Quote:
LA:
Well, with the recent passing of Harry Reems, it may be time for Da Bunnyman to re-assess his list! 

Harry Reems has passed on? I hadn't heard. Censorship? You think they would have covered it in the China People's Daily:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/02/china-peoples-daily-penis-newspaper-bui...

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #43 - May 5th, 2013 at 12:41pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

"War of the Worlds" martian: They just don't make 'em like that anymore. Smiley

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #44 - May 6th, 2013 at 5:13pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

R_F_Fineman wrote on May 5th, 2013 at 12:41pm:
[img]
"War of the Worlds" martian: They just don't make 'em like that anymore. Smiley

Reminds me of an old charity appeal photo.

Yes friends, your donations will help send little Jimmy here to a summer camp on Phobos.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11