WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

"Upstream Color" - a followup to "Primer" (Read 9000 times)
Apr 5th, 2013 at 1:58pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

The late Roger Ebert gave a very positive review (three and a half stars) to "Upstream Color" by "Primer" director Shane Carruth. He describes the movie as "smart" and it sounds like it's the smartest movie to feature brain-eating maggots in some time.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130403/REVIEWS/13040...

Has anyone seen it? It sounds like a good fit for the 'thon but that just might be the maggots in my brain talking. Wink

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Apr 6th, 2013 at 12:54pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

I saw it at a preview a couple weeks ago (blog post with horrible photography, link to full review, well-labeled spoilers) and really liked it.  It plays the Brattle starting next week for Boston-area folks, and I recommend going in just as cold and ignorant as you can; a great deal of the fun is the discovery.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Apr 6th, 2013 at 3:00pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Jay Seaver wrote on Apr 6th, 2013 at 12:54pm:
...I recommend going in just as cold and ignorant as you can...

That should be NO PROBLEM for most Marathoners!

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Apr 26th, 2013 at 2:04pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Hard to believe, but it has been 9 years since PRIMER (he spent several years developing TOPIARY, but it was never made). With the release of UPSTREAM COLOR, Director Shane Carruth has been making the rounds with interviews and Q&A's at screenings (he is releasing the film independently). He's said that it was NOT his intention for PRIMER to be known as an unfathomable 'puzzle' film with viewers trying to figure out what was happening.

So, what about Carruth's new film? It's perhaps even more puzzling than PRIMER! At least with PRIMER, SF fans understood the rules of the road when it comes to time travel stories. Here, Carruth creates a stew with memory loss, farm animal experimentation, Henry David Thoreau's Walden books, earthworms, telepathy, orchids, sound waves and romance - and more! Parts of it have echoes to the early films of David Cronenberg with a couple of direct quotes to THEY CAME FROM WITHIN and VIDEODROME. As with Cronenberg, Carruth seems destined to combat the notion that he is a cold, intellectual filmmaker with a taste for the offbeat.

As with PRIMER, Carruth seems to have discarded the first act entirely. He plunges you into what would normally be the second act. On one hand, this forces the viewer to be an active participant; On the other, it makes the lead actors into hollow vessels without much sympathy.

As confounding as UPSTREAM can be at times (and there were a handful of walkouts at the theater), Carruth is such a meticulous filmmaker that it is engrossing to watch and, ultimately, a rewarding experience. Amy Seimetz is very watchable as the lead who gets experimented on. Not only does Carruth produce, direct, write and compose the score - he is also the male lead (and does a credible professional job). This truly is a one-man band indie.

On paper, this may sound like good challenging Marathon fodder (PRIMER went over very well with the crowd), but, I think this one is just too confounding to go over nearly as well. Worth seeing on your own, however.

Perhaps next time out, Carruth will make a film with a simple linear three-act structure. Otherwise, he will be tagged as a confounding tinker toy abstactionist.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Apr 26th, 2013 at 4:50pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Quote:
LA:
Upstream Color...too confusing...
Perhaps next time out, Carruth will make a film with a simple linear three-act structure. Otherwise, he will be tagged as a confounding tinker toy abstactionist.

The only film less watchable than a confusing low-budget puzzle film is a confusing big-budget puzzle film. Last years "Found in Time" and "Safety Not Guaranteed" were enjoyable not in-spite-of but because-of their limited scale. If either of those directors had a cigar-chomping producer calling for more sex, violence, car chases and explosions then the films would have been disasters.

I have the suspicion that the producers don't really care whether the audience gets an answer to "Inception" type movies, as long as there's room for another chase and shootout in each of the alternate worlds, dreams, hallucinations and their ilk.

With the exception of the original "Matrix" over a decade ago and "Dark City" two decades ago, have there been any good big-budget sci-fi puzzle films?

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Apr 26th, 2013 at 11:56pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Apr 26th, 2013 at 2:04pm:
I think this one is just too confounding to go over nearly as well. Worth seeing on your own, however.

(a) I think as long as you don't worry about "where did all this stuff come from", Upstream Color is actually pretty straightforward (says the guy who missed a big chunk of Carruth's basic idea).  Granted, that's kind of a huge thing to ask the audience to not care about, but it really is kind of irrelevant to the story he's telling.

(b) I don't know that he really cares about being tagged as something.  A Topiary would have been a big expensive thing that had to sell to a mainstream audience, so maybe he'll try that again, but if he finds satisfaction making quality movies in his house, I'll take that and not wish he was something else.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Apr 28th, 2013 at 4:00pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Director Shane Carruth reveals what his ultimate Superman film would be like: http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/upstream-color-director-shane-carruth-rev...

But, this quote is curious: "...the only Superman movie I'd ever want to see is the one where Superman comes to understand that people have become too reliant on him and he can't be their God anymore. And he basically, actively, doesn't help them. And people end up dying in the learning process that they can't rely on their God anymore."

I guess Carruth never saw SUPERMAN III, a flawed but interesting take on just that storyline
........  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Apr 28th, 2013 at 4:45pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

L.A. Connection wrote on Apr 28th, 2013 at 4:00pm:
Director Shane Carruth reveals what his ultimate Superman film would be like: http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/upstream-color-director-shane-carruth-rev...

But, this quote is curious: "...the only Superman movie I'd ever want to see is the one where Superman comes to understand that people have become too reliant on him and he can't be their God anymore. And he basically, actively, doesn't help them. And people end up dying in the learning process that they can't rely on their God anymore."

I guess Carruth never saw SUPERMAN III, a flawed but interesting take on just that storyline
........  Roll Eyes

[img]

THe two funniest things you said here are:  "flawed" and "interesting' to descibe Superman III.  Understatement "flawed" and overstatement "interesting" in one sentence.   
« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2013 at 3:47pm by Frank »  

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #8 - May 1st, 2013 at 2:57pm

Spatch from the balcony   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Balcony or bust!
Davis Square

L.A. Connection wrote on Apr 28th, 2013 at 4:00pm:
[img]

...the bartender looked down at the man splatted on the pavement fifty stories below and said "You know, Superman, you can be a real jerk when you're drunk."

IP Logged

Reply #9 - May 1st, 2013 at 5:56pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Quote:
LA:
Shane Carruth...a confounding tinker toy abstactionist.

Carruth is not alone in this irritating trend. Looking at IndieWire's review of the 2013 Tribeca film festival, there are more than a few films that take the nontraditional nonsensical approach to storytelling.

Maybe they need to watch this video from the guys who brought us "Mystery Science Theater 3000"...

21st Century Man
IP Logged