WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

war of the worlds. (Read 4506 times)
Jan 15th, 2013 at 10:13pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

suddenly i have a problem with the 50's version of war of the worlds. at the end the martians die and leave all there technologically advance war machines strewn uniformly over the planet earth. immediately following this there should be a mad dash by all governments and warlords to harness the alien technology for their own uses. a horrendous global conflict would likely ensue wouldn't it?

please don't respond with the likes of " oh the alien technology was probably organic and was also infected by bacteria". because it wasn't.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jan 15th, 2013 at 10:22pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

kirok wrote on Jan 15th, 2013 at 10:13pm:
suddenly i have a problem with the 50's version of war of the worlds. at the end the martians die and leave all there technologically advance war machines strewn uniformly over the planet earth. immediately following this there should be a mad dash by all governments and warlords to harness the alien technology for their own uses. a horrendous global conflict would likely ensue wouldn't it?

please don't respond with the likes of " oh the alien technology was probably organic and was also infected by bacteria". because it wasn't.

Who said it did not happen. Just cause everyone is praying at the end of the film does not mean governments all over the world are not reverse engineering the stuff the martians left behind.

And have you forgotten the horrible TV show based on the film where it was said that everyone in the world had just put the martians out of their minds. In other words we forgot we were invaded by aliens (who it turns out just went to sleep anyway.)

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jan 16th, 2013 at 7:41am

kirok   Offline
God Member

da_Bunnyman wrote on Jan 15th, 2013 at 10:22pm:
kirok wrote on Jan 15th, 2013 at 10:13pm:

Who said it did not happen. Just cause everyone is praying at the end of the film does not mean governments all over the world are not reverse engineering the stuff the martians left behind.

And have you forgotten the horrible TV show based on the film where it was said that everyone in the world had just put the martians out of their minds. In other words we forgot we were invaded by aliens (who it turns out just went to sleep anyway.)

i didn't say it didn't happen. i said it was imminent. there fore the ending does not represent reality. instead of standing in a field and worshipping the sun god.  they should be saying "the sh!t's gonna really hit the fan now" or "first get the shields going so that no one can touch me. then figure out the heat rays and the meson beams. then get the sucker to levitate and move. then start destroying all the other martian machines"

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jan 16th, 2013 at 10:46am

Jon   Offline
MA

It's a movie, people!  Based on an old book with an actual denoument....

(Also, where do we think they got all the recycled toys for the 21st century re-make?)

NOTE:  Many people simply forgot about the Spanish Flu epidemic in 1917 (or so).  It was so awful and so many people died that no one wanted to remember it -- they certainly didn't want to study it.

...Just sayin'.... Undecided

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jan 16th, 2013 at 8:56pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

Jon wrote on Jan 16th, 2013 at 10:46am:
It's a movie, people!  Based on an old book with an actual denoument....

(Also, where do we think they got all the recycled toys for the 21st century re-make?)

NOTE:  Many people simply forgot about the Spanish Flu epidemic in 1917 (or so).  It was so awful and so many people died that no one wanted to remember it -- they certainly didn't want to study it.

...Just sayin'.... Undecided

the above is a diversion.

the post martian invasion scenario would include some bizarre strategies. some one in possession of a few machines would hold a population center hostage indefinitely. demands could be made of the hostages and of the local authority.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged