WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Cleveland/CWRU Marathon. January 18-20. (Read 8979 times)
Jan 9th, 2013 at 10:27pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

They just announced some of the films for the Cleveland/CWRU Marathon.
Why only a partial list when the event is less than two weeks away, I have no idea.

John Carter (2012)
Westworld (1973)
Hugo (2011)
Iron Sky (2012)
Solaris (2002)
Them! (1954)
Watchmen (2009)

Here's the link for the list and updates.http://films.cwru.edu/sfmarathon38/

Dave & other quality control types will be happy to know that CWRU installed digital last year, so some films will be shown 35mm & some, as they say, Sucky - - -

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jan 10th, 2013 at 9:20am

kirok   Offline
God Member

pogo. beg borrow or steal to get iron sky for us. also i can not believe that solaris 2002 is featured. it is so bad.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jan 15th, 2013 at 10:58am

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

FINALLY! The Cleveland Marathon list is out.
Note that there are three surprises.
Usually one is an old favorite , one a new film of some quality and one an absolute turkey.
Turkeys have included Howard the Duck & Battlefield Earth.
Last year the new film was Rise of the Planet of the Apes. And old favorites have included Dark Star & Invasion of the Body Snatchers (both versions.)

This year's list:

8:00pm - John Carter (2012, PG-13)
10:30pm - Logan's Run (1976, PG)
12:45am - Surprise I (?, R)
3:50am - Westworld (1973, PG)
5:35am - Solaris (2002, R)
8:00am - Thunderbirds (2004, PG)
9:50am - It Came From Outer Space (1953, G)
11:30am - Surprise II (?, G)
1:00pm - Them! (1954, Approved)
3:00pm - Hugo (2011, PG) [Plus mini-surprise short!]
5:35pm - Surprise III (?, PG)
7:50pm - Iron Sky (2012, R)
9:40pm - Paranorman (2012, PG)
11:30pm - Watchmen (2009, R)
Cleveland has been described as a 36 hour marathon. This one looks a little shorter, but they always run at least a couple of hours late, and do often hit 36 by the time they are through. Unlike Boston & Columbus, they don't cut films due to being behind on the schedule.
Doubt that anyone will be visiting, but if you should & need a place to crash, message me.
Cheers from Cleveland.

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jan 15th, 2013 at 12:28pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

pogo wrote on Jan 15th, 2013 at 10:58am:
Note that there are three surprises.
Usually one is an old favorite , one a new film of some quality and one an absolute turkey.
Turkeys have included Howard the Duck & Battlefield Earth.
Last year the new film was Rise of the Planet of the Apes. And old favorites have included Dark Star & Invasion of the Body Snatchers (both versions.)

This year's list:

8:00pm - John Carter (2012, PG-13)
10:30pm - Logan's Run (1976, PG)
12:45am - Surprise I (?, R)
3:50am - Westworld (1973, PG)
5:35am - Solaris (2002, R)
8:00am - Thunderbirds (2004, PG)
9:50am - It Came From Outer Space (1953, G)
11:30am - Surprise II (?, G)
1:00pm - Them! (1954, Approved)
3:00pm - Hugo (2011, PG) [Plus mini-surprise short!]
5:35pm - Surprise III (?, PG)
7:50pm - Iron Sky (2012, R)
9:40pm - Paranorman (2012, PG)
11:30pm - Watchmen (2009, R)
Cheers from Cleveland.

Interesting list
John Carter's much better than the critics say.
Westworld's long overdue at our thon.
Solaris, blech, the Russian one is dull and the remake just bad.
Thunderbirds? without puppets what's the point?
Hugo borderline sci-fi but certainly would fit in with it's subject matter, gee, wonder what the surprise short will be? Smiley
Iron Sky, yeah, we really should try to get it.
Paranorman good film but really horror/fantasy.
Watchman, love to see this again, likely get a lot of disagreement on it though.

Have fun   

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jan 15th, 2013 at 1:21pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

i want to get live negative reaction to solaris. how do i do this. twitter? instagram? pogo, can you give us live updates?

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jan 15th, 2013 at 1:55pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Quote:
pogo wrote Today at 10:58am:
Note that there are three surprises*.
Turkeys have included Howard the Duck & Battlefield Earth...

Given what I've seen of "Solaris", I think they've got the "Turkey" part all lined up. Is there any word on which titles are 35mm and which ones digital?

**Wouldn't it be a surprise if the surprise was "Surprise"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2354395/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_2

or "Spaceship Surpise"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0349047/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_4 Smiley

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jan 15th, 2013 at 2:18pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Responding to Kirok.
Personally don't tweet.
There is a twitter feed tha is supposed to be active during the marathon.The address seems to be @CWRUFilms
You can follow the feed via the film link I gave in my first post.
Re R_F.
CWRU just added digital last year. Their rationale then was that both for their regular series & for the marathon, some movies are only available in digital.
The only comments/ explanations I have heard from the two people there who I know are involved with Marathon selection were apologetic. They clearly preferred 35 mm.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jan 20th, 2013 at 10:18am

kirok   Offline
God Member

well? how was it?
specifically iron sky and solaris?
« Last Edit: Jan 20th, 2013 at 12:54pm by kirok »  

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #8 - Jan 20th, 2013 at 2:53pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

It was okay.
Solaris, I deliberately slept through. Comments from watchers tended to reinforce the earlier consensus that it was a fair attempt at a thoughtful film that totally failed. EG, it sucked.
Iron Sky was very well received. Uneven, but generally both funny and lively. Also, the levels of humor, action/violence and t & a made it perfect for a marathon audience.
Parenthetically, talking to two of the selectors of the Film Society, they obtained it directly from the guy who made it, in BluRay format (having written to him directly). He was very cooperative & even waived the fee.

The three surprises, were The PostmanThe Land Before Time(argh, yuch, patooie & why oh why??), and the Lost Skeleton of Cadavra.
Highlights included an actual wedding on stage, presided over by an extremely funny guy who as part of his regalia wore an excellent Tom Baker style scarf, several excellent shorts including both Hardware Wars a British concoction, & a couple of others that I'll comment on later.
Unfortunately the audience size continued to decline - as did, to my estimate, the average level of enthusiasm. Still pretty nice.

Both Joe Neff & VitruvianZeke from Columbus were there. Perhaps they'll comment.

Will comment further later.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Jan 20th, 2013 at 9:41pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

don't hold back on criticism of solaris. were there audible moans and groans? did it receive the "that sucked. that sucked. that sucked" chant?

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged