WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
More 36 Hour Marathons? Yeah or Nay? (Read 18217 times)
Reply #15 - Dec 19th, 2012 at 6:10pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

Saw Solaris at the CWRU Fest. Actually I didn't really SEE it. Tried to watch it, but it was so soporific that it became my classic example of a film "Not on my agenda."  Have a memory of waking momentarily several times - and every time the screen had a shot of waving reeds - quickly returned me to the arms of Morpheus.

LA,
Your analogy to a running marathon is  less than accurate. The similarity of the name does not require a similarity of experience. My 36 hour experiences have included showings of Battlefield Earth and Plan 9 From Outer Space.
Without the 36 hour option, I doubt that the scheduler would have dared to program such cheese. But some wanted to see them. And some (me) used them as an occasion to sleep and be chipper for other films. Including foreign and classic films that were of more interest to me than to the somewhat more pop oriented audience in Cleveland.
And I do like a lot of cheese. Would you ever have dared to schedule Howard The Duck? Cleveland did, and I was glad to watch it. Could you have ever devoted more than two hours, of 24, to this epic??? Roll Eyes
My point is not that Boston should go 36. It's just that there are advantages to the format that you don't see. And I might not if I felt compelled to stay awake for the entire duration of the experience. As David the P. points out, many do not have your fortitude to stay alert even for a full 24. I almost made it in Boston, but conked out during Folklore.
Sleep does have it's advantages.
« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2012 at 7:58pm by pogo »  

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #16 - Dec 19th, 2012 at 7:24pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

pogo wrote on Dec 19th, 2012 at 6:10pm:
Saw Solaris at the CWRU Fest. Actually I didn't really SEE it. Tried to watch it, but it was so soporific that it became my classic example of a film "Not on my agenda."  Have a memory of waking momentarily several times - and every time the screen had a shot of waving reeds - quickly returned me to the arms of Morpheus.

Thats because the movie blows chunks.  Well, actually, if it did do that, it wouldnt be so bloody boring!
     The same thing would happen if we were stupid enough to book that hideous 2045 here: no one would survive!

Quote:
Without the 36 hour option, I doubt that the scheduler would have dared to program such cheese.

I see the point youre trying to make, but must disagree.
     Sure, Garen cant program too many lousy movies, but he usually makes it a point to schedule one or two.  For instance, in 2010, we were all forced to suffer through The Giant Gila Monster AND The Day the Sky Exploded AND The Lathe of Heaven AND Night of the Comet AND Night of the Creeps.  Thats so much cheese that Wallace & Gromit were prepared to move into the theatre!

Quote:
Would you ever have dared to schedule Howard The Duck?

First of all, that movie is so bad that the closest it comes to "cheese" is the mould that grows on it after it's been left out of the fridge for about three years.
     Why would anyone want to resurrect that corpse?  Let it rot in the ground where it belongs!

Quote:
Cleveland did, and I was glad to watch it.

So, YOURE the one!  I'm surprised you havent died from ptomaine poisoning!

Quote:
Could you have ever devoted more than two hours, of 24, to this epic???

Would we have wanted to?

Quote:
I almost made it in Boston, but conked out during Folklore.

Folklore so successfully narcotized the audience that manufacturers of barbiturates are suing for patent infringement!
     But at least you didnt have to RUN the gall-blamed thing!

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #17 - Dec 19th, 2012 at 8:05pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Quote:
Would you ever have dared to schedule Howard The Duck?

First of all, that movie is so bad that the closest it comes to "cheese" is the mould that grows on it after it's been left out of the fridge for about three years.
     Why would anyone want to resurrect that corpse?  Let it rot in the ground where it belongs!

Quote:
Cleveland did, and I was glad to watch it.

So, YOURE the one!  I'm surprised you havent died from ptomaine poisoning!

Quote:
Could you have ever devoted more than two hours, of 24, to this epic???

There's actually more of us out there. Don't you remember the Howard's tagline? FROM THE STREETS OF CLEVELAND!!!
Cool

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #18 - Dec 19th, 2012 at 9:37pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

pogo wrote on Dec 19th, 2012 at 8:05pm:
There's actually more of us out there. Don't you remember the Howard's tagline? FROM THE STREETS OF CLEVELAND!!!

I thought that was the banner of the Harvey Pekar's comic book, American Splendor.
     The problem with the Howard the Duck movie (besides the fact that it was god-awful, & contributing to its god-awfulness) was that it just ignored everything in the original comic that made the character popular in the first place.
     Howard the Duck was the creation of Steve Gerber (since deceased).  Gerber had been writing Man-Thing (a Swamp Thing knock-off), & Howard appeared in it one day, as part of a temporal dimensional shift of some sort.  The fans loved the cigar-chomping, short-tempered fowl, & Howard was spun off into a couple of back of the issue stories before getting his own title.  (The best of which was Hellcow, where a very thirsty vampire drinks the blood of a grazing cow, turning her into a vampire cow, who sprouts leathern wings & flies away crying, "HAHAHAHAHAMOOOOOOOOOOOOO.")

For whatever reason, Howard lit a fire in Gerber's creativity, & he did the best work of his comic book career (he later went on to write children's TV cartoons, & in an interview he gave to The Comics Journal, poked so much fun at the rules governing what he could or could not write that Ive never forgotten what he said).  Over its tiny run, there was nothing going on the world at the time that Gerber wouldnt tackle & skewer.  He took aim at American politics (usually carefully avoided in all comic books, but especially at Marvel), at our culture, at (deliciously) the Reverend Sun-Yun Moon (also now deceased), with a Korean named the Reverend Joon-Moon Yuc (with his followers, the Yuccies), who, when Howard is mistaken for him ("Come with me, Mr Duck), shouts, "Yuc! Yuc!  I'M the second coming!  Hes just a stupid duck!!!"  Those comics were a hilarious breath of fresh air.

None of what made the book work, NONE of it, was transferred to the movie, which is depressingly typical.
     So, Pogo, dont go defending the indefensible.  Walt Kelly would be annoyed.  "God is not dead, he is merely unemployed," indeed.  Deck the halls with Boston Charlie.
     Picked up volume 2 of the Fantagraphics Pogo reprint, BTW?

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #19 - Dec 20th, 2012 at 12:48pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

show solaris at 4 am and give a prize to anyone who can provide video evidence that they stayed awake throughout the movie.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #20 - Dec 20th, 2012 at 10:03pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Easy money. Provide the camera and we're on.

One of the great SF films. On the big screen with my favorite audience? A breeze....

kirok wrote on Dec 20th, 2012 at 12:48pm:
show solaris at 4 am and give a prize to anyone who can provide video evidence that they stayed awake throughout the movie.

IP Logged

Reply #21 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 4:01pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Speaking of 36 hour Marathons, Cleveland is coming up, starting Jan 18.
I'll post the schedule here as soon as they announce it.
If anyone has any inclination to come to my fair city, I usually put up a few out-of-towners. PM me.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2