WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
More 36 Hour Marathons? Yeah or Nay? (Read 18118 times)
Dec 15th, 2012 at 7:34pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I split the discussion of the concept of a 36 Hour marathon into this, it's own thread - admin

Yeah, but has Cleveland showed NIAGRAVATION, SPLIT! or BREAKFAST OF ALIENS amongst many other obscurities we've shown?? Not to mention one of the rarest films on earth - HU-MAN?

pogo wrote on Dec 15th, 2012 at 4:49pm:
LA said:

"Actually, BLACK HOLE has NEVER played at the Marathon! (though prints exist). SOLARIS (either version) is missing from you list of never played at the Marathon. Nor has ESCAPE FROM NY (ditto), WESTWORLD (tritto), ESCAPE FROM THE PLANET OF APES (quaitto), ROLLERBALL (quinitto), PREDATOR (sexitto), AVATAR (septemitto), GHOST IN THE SHELL (octoitto) and E.T. (novemitto).

DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS has not only played - but, twice. All in the first Three years of the event (they must have loved 'em their schlock back in the earliest days!)."

Interestingly, my real Marathon affiliation, Cleveland/CWRU, (27 years vs. 1 year for Boston) has played each and every one of the films you listed - excepting Avatar..
The difference is not one of quality, but of duration.
CWRU is a 36 hour affair. Any thoughts of expanding Boston?

« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2012 at 2:38am by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Dec 15th, 2012 at 8:24pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

Jealous????

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Dec 17th, 2012 at 12:32am

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

pogo wrote on Dec 15th, 2012 at 4:49pm:
LA said:

"Actually, BLACK HOLE has NEVER played at the Marathon! (though prints exist). SOLARIS (either version) is missing from you list of never played at the Marathon. Nor has ESCAPE FROM NY (ditto), WESTWORLD (tritto), ESCAPE FROM THE PLANET OF APES (quaitto), ROLLERBALL (quinitto), PREDATOR (sexitto), AVATAR (septemitto), GHOST IN THE SHELL (octoitto) and E.T. (novemitto).

DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS has not only played - but, twice. All in the first Three years of the event (they must have loved 'em their schlock back in the earliest days!)."

Interestingly, my real Marathon affiliation, Cleveland/CWRU, (27 years vs. 1 year for Boston) has played each and every one of the films you listed - excepting Avatar..
The difference is not one of quality, but of duration.
CWRU is a 36 hour affair. Any thoughts of expanding Boston?

Yeah but it's also a pay as you go marathon, you can buy a ticket for just part of the 36 hrs. I made it through SF10 the 36 hr marathon.

Black Hole okay if we can get  70mm print, Solaris, NO DON'T SHOW EITHER VERSION, EVEN IT'S FANS SAY ITS DULL. Escape from NY SHOULD BE SHOWn,, ITS A GOOD ACTION PIC. Westworld needs to be shown  before some Hollywood hack decides to remake it with the brilliant idea of making all the robots black and mexican. Escape from the Planet of the Apes is pretty good, it also has lots of clues about the recent remake. Rollerball deserves a shot, the game scenes are excellent, trouble is the film has to restart after every one. Predator and ET deserve a shot too.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Dec 17th, 2012 at 1:58pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Bunnyman said,
"Yeah but it's also a pay as you go marathon, you can buy a ticket for just part of the 36 hrs. I made it through SF10 the 36 hr marathon."

The pay as you go option is a recent innovation in Cleveland. I would assume that it's an attempt to foster sagging attendance. Seems a good idea, particularly since the event is held on a college campus.
Strosacker has a seating capacity of 580. Add people lying on the stage and you get about 600. What's Somerville? About 800?

For true believers the dynamic is different. I have met only one person who claimed to have stayed awake and in attendance through an entire 36 hour marathons. He claimed to have done it twice.
Choices to go out & eat or socialize make more sense with half again as many films, some almost have to  be of little interest.
Perhaps Boston is too hectic to expect people to take off for what really comprises two days. And it certainly would  put strain on already overworked planners in Boston who have an additional week of shows to plan.
But for the hard core fans, a 36 hour event is a gas.

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Dec 17th, 2012 at 3:33pm

Jon   Offline
MA

RE: 36 hour marathon
For the "hard core" - that's why God gave us cable, DVDs and big screen TVs - or portable DVD players....
For the rest of us - 24 hours is fun.  36 hours is just an endurance test and I don't have that much to prove to anyone.  (I lasted for nearly 24 of the 36-hour SF10.)
In the meantime, I really, really enjoy the marathon every year and have since 1977. Smiley
(If only they hadn't started giving away the best seats in the house to "volunteers" before anyone else gets in - even those who try to pay for the priviledge of early entry.  Angry )

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Dec 17th, 2012 at 9:48pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

There was a bit of talk around SF/25 about re-visiting the notion of a 36 hour marathon. The one and only 36 hour Boston event was the 10th. I survived. I didn't sleep. But, I didn't enjoy it as much as most other years.

Plus, the Festival is now the "extended" version of the Marathon.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Dec 17th, 2012 at 11:18pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

pogo wrote on Dec 17th, 2012 at 1:58pm:
Strosacker has a seating capacity of 580. Add people lying on the stage and you get about 600. What's Somerville? About 800?

900, sucker.  Grin

Quote:
Perhaps Boston is too hectic to expect people to take off for what really comprises two days.

Or perhaps the projectionist who runs the marathon and works twenty-eight hours straight might complain (loudly) about working forty.  And perhaps the theatre's schedule cant handle it (and it cant).  And perhaps even the audience members, most of whom cant even make it through 24 hours -- I see them splayed out sleeping everywhere, when theyre not off getting food or talking in the lobby -- would find it overwhelming to make it through 36.  What is the point of this?  It wont be enjoyable for anyone.

Quote:
But for the hard core fans, a 36 hour event is a gas.

For hard core idiots, you mean.  The attendees would have to load my tip jar with gold to get me to do it.
     Honestly, do you have even the foggiest notion how much work it takes just to run the regular marathon?

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #7 - Dec 17th, 2012 at 11:33pm

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

da_Bunnyman wrote on Dec 17th, 2012 at 12:32am:
Black Hole okay if we can get 70mm print

Hallelujah!

Quote:
Solaris, NO DON'T SHOW EITHER VERSION, EVEN IT'S FANS SAY ITS DULL.

"Dull" hardly describes its glacial, molasses-like turgidity!

Quote:
Escape from NY SHOULD BE SHOWN

If you can overlook the fact that it was shot in St Louis, & looks nothing like New York!

Quote:
ITS A GOOD ACTION PIC.

Thats a debatable assertion.

Quote:
Westworld needs to be shown

I totally agree (for once)!  Westworld is a terrifically fun flick!

Quote:
Escape from the Planet of the Apes is pretty good

Good Jerry Goldsmith score.  "Because I loathe bananas!"

Quote:
Rollerball deserves a shot

That movie is dull, dull, dull.  And I know someone who owns a print of it.  It's red, of course.

Quote:
Predator

Yes!  "Get to da choppa!"

Quote:
and ET deserve a shot too.

NO!  Keep that treacly, sappy, over-ripe pile of crap away from me!  Do you know how many times Ive been forced to run this?????  ET, GO HOME!  (And stay there!) Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Dec 18th, 2012 at 1:18pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

David the P,
As usual you present a unique perspective. No, I hadn't considered what a 36 hour thon would do to you.  And I would cross your palm with silver for the extra work (can't afford gold - but I did contribute to your jar last year.)
Have you considered acolytes/groupies to aid you in your efforts? My impression, reading your prose,  is that you are too much of a perfectionist to allow any other damn dirty ape hands on the controls.
And I respectfully disagree about extending the event would not be enjoyable. Been doing it for almost 30 years. 36 hours lets you make choices to ignore the films not on your personal agenda. You do have to sleep some, but you have the slots to do so - and enjoy the best of the product  presented without crashing involuntarily.

L.A.
Good point that the Festival provides more for those who just can't get enough. Doesn't speak to me as I can only visit Boston for a few days a year & spend most of it with the offspring. Good for Bostonians & those who can be there for an extended period.
You hated your sole 36 hr. event. I hated my first few. But experience allows you to pace, choose sleep when appropriate & enjoy the rest to it's acme.
And the old hand Cleveland attendees who I have attempted to talk into coming to Boston have wondered if it's worth it for 24. They've adapted to & learned how to enjoy 36.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Dec 18th, 2012 at 1:25pm

Jon   Offline
MA

"The attendees would have to load my tip jar with gold ..."

The projectionist has a tip jar?!? Shocked

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Dec 19th, 2012 at 2:35am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

First of all, I don't sleep. So, that makes it a long slog for 36 hours. And, even those who can cat nap a bit, are going to feel mighty uncomfortable by the end. Of course, if you live nearby or rent a hotel room, you can get a real stretch of sleep, shower etc.. But, that's really no longer a "Marathon" at that point. It's more a Day and half festival or convention with folks coming and going at will.

Like I said, we now have a week-long pre-Marathon fest that should sate most folks' need for Sci-Fi in February.

pogo wrote on Dec 18th, 2012 at 1:18pm:
And I respectfully disagree about extending the event would not be enjoyable. Been doing it for almost 30 years. 36 hours lets you make choices to ignore the films not on your personal agenda. You do have to sleep some, but you have the slots to do so - and enjoy the best of the product  presented without crashing involuntarily.

L.A.
Good point that the Festival provides more for those who just can't get enough. Doesn't speak to me as I can only visit Boston for a few days a year & spend most of it with the offspring. Good for Bostonians & those who can be there for an extended period.
You hated your sole 36 hr. event. I hated my first few. But experience allows you to pace, choose sleep when appropriate & enjoy the rest to it's acme.
And the old hand Cleveland attendees who I have attempted to talk into coming to Boston have wondered if it's worth it for 24. They've adapted to & learned how to enjoy 36.

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Dec 19th, 2012 at 12:06pm

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Jon wrote on Dec 18th, 2012 at 1:25pm:
"The attendees would have to load my tip jar with gold ..."

The projectionist has a tip jar?!? Shocked

He does indeed.  It was on a stool under the Somerville Theatre sign in the lobby, and it will be there again.
     Your spontaneous generosity would be appreciated.  You have no notion how woefully underpaid I am for the work I do for this thing....
     It is, though, my one big challenge of the year.  Each time, I try to get through all 24 hours with no technical glitches or mistakes of any kind.  Hasnt happened yet, but I always get to try again!   Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Dec 19th, 2012 at 12:28pm

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

pogo wrote on Dec 18th, 2012 at 1:18pm:
David the P,
As usual you present a unique perspective.

Yeah, thats me!  "Unique!"  And with film in its death throes, getting "uniquer" by the day!

Quote:
No, I hadn't considered what a 36 hour thon would do to you.

No one ever does.  *Sigh*   Cry

Quote:
And I would cross your palm with silver for the extra work (can't afford gold - but I did contribute to your jar last year.)

Your humble operator thanks you kindly!

Quote:
Have you considered acolytes/groupies to aid you in your efforts? My impression, reading your prose,  is that you are too much of a perfectionist to allow any other damn dirty ape hands on the controls.

There are only a handful of other people still working who could deal with my machines & my system.  Then there are the demands of the marathon itself, with its ever-shifting formats & print handling strictures.
     As for apprentices, what for?  It's a dying craft!  Theres no future in it at all!  Why go through months (or years) of training so you can master something that no one will need?
     I know people in this business who have never done a changeover, & who have no idea how to do a cement splice.  They dont know the difference between Dolby A & SR, dont know how to compensate for a variable density soundtrack, cant tell one AR from another, & have never run a mono print!  Into their tender mercies you would go!  It would be (following on your quote) a madhouse!  A maaaaaaadhouse!!
     No thanks!

Quote:

Yeah, but youre not sitting through a marathon!  That would be like running in the Boston marathon, but being able to stop at sidewalk cafes along the route, while you amble your way toward the finish line!
     And your being able to take breaks wouldnt mean that I could!  Show must go on & all that, dontcha know...

Quote:

You can tell them that I'll bet my presentation is better!  Cheesy

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Dec 19th, 2012 at 12:32pm

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

L.A. Connection wrote on Dec 19th, 2012 at 2:35am:
First of all, I don't sleep. So, that makes it a long slog for 36 hours. And, even those who can cat nap a bit, are going to feel mighty uncomfortable by the end. Of course, if you live nearby or rent a hotel room, you can get a real stretch of sleep, shower etc.. But, that's really no longer a "Marathon" at that point. It's more a Day and half festival or convention with folks coming and going at will.

Mark your calendars, folks!  Tony & I agree on something!  Shocked

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Dec 19th, 2012 at 1:14pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

i saw solaris at the harvard film archive about 5 years ago. the theater was packed and the response was very positive.
okay i did fall asleep but i still think it's a good marathon choice.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2