WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

ARGO - or, how PLANET OF THE APES saved 6 Hostages (Read 18333 times)
Oct 23rd, 2012 at 3:07pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

ARGO is a solid entertaining film by Ben Affleck about the 6 Americans who were trapped in Iran after militants took over the Embassy in 1979. There's too much B.S. that Affleck and the writers put into the true tale for my taste, but it is enjoyable.

What I really liked about the film was how it's a love-letter to John Chambers. Chambers was the make-up effects man who won an Oscar for the original PLANET OF THE APES. Chambers' work was so good that the CIA used him in their covert actions.

Caleb?

Here's a piece in the L.A. Times on Chambers:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/moviesnow/la-et-mn-john-chambers-arg...

excerpt:

By Susan King, Los Angeles Times

October 23, 2012, 7:00 a.m.

Retired movie makeup artist Robert Sidell got chills when he met actor John Goodman at the party following the Beverly Hills premiere earlier this month of Ben Affleck's acclaimed new film "Argo." It was like seeing an old friend again.

Goodman plays real-life Oscar-winning movie makeup artist John Chambers, who created the makeup for the 1968 classic "Planet of the Apes," as well as Spock's ears for the original "Star Trek" series. Chambers was one of the key players who helped CIA operative Tony Mendez (Ben Affleck) set up a phony film production company and movie in order to get six U.S. government workers out of Tehran during the 1979-81 hostage crisis.

"John Goodman was a Xerox copy of Johnny Chambers," said Sidell, 75, right up to capturing the legendary makeup man's limp.

Sidell is a big fan of "Argo," even if it deviates from some of the facts of the matter.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Oct 23rd, 2012 at 5:18pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

i remember that rescue. wasn't h ross perot involved?

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Oct 23rd, 2012 at 7:04pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

kirok wrote on Oct 23rd, 2012 at 5:18pm:
i remember that rescue. wasn't h ross perot involved?

Don't think so. It was nicknamed "The Canadian Caper" in the press. The details remained secret for years.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Nov 2nd, 2012 at 3:08pm

Caleb451   Offline
NYC

I haven't seen it yet but have heard it's very good.
My make-up efx friends are thrilled to see Chambers get his well deserved recognition.

Dinner break? What's a dinner break?
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Nov 2nd, 2012 at 4:03pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Oh, it's almost a love-letter to Chambers, you gotta see it. A little too much B.S. for my taste, but, you'll definately dig it!

Caleb451 wrote on Nov 2nd, 2012 at 3:08pm:
I haven't seen it yet but have heard it's very good.
My make-up efx friends are thrilled to see Chambers get his well deserved recognition.

IP Logged