WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

LOOPER (Read 6100 times)
Oct 9th, 2012 at 7:05pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

See it.
One of the best time travel movies ever. It's not the action film they were trying to sell it as, although there is plenty of action.
A lot to take in and it will keep you guessing till the very end.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Oct 22nd, 2012 at 2:46pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

LOOPER is a good solid time-travel film. It's not great, but flows along well, has decent performances and enough twists to keep interest from beginning to end. Emily Blunt is fine as usual.

The Time Travel element has a bit of a convulted set-up, and one can certainly question the hows, whys and whens of how it's used. Bruce Willis is fine - although his inclusion seems to necessitate a big action shoot-out that seems more a 'contractual obligation' than a plot necessity. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is good, but the makeup job involving his 'looping' looks more like a genetic mutation than the wages of 'time' that it's supposed to be.

Much of what one thinks of the movie will depend on the final act twists and turns. Suffice it to say what begins as a TERMINATOR riff, somehow morphs into a combination of DePalma's duo of THE FURY and CARRIE.

LOOPER would make a perfectly suitable 'dinner break' movie at the marathon.  Meaning, it would be good prime material, but, if you had seen it and want a meal break without missing something you hadn't seen - LOOPER would be the time. (I've never understood why so many Marathoners would rather go to their dinner break "on time" and miss something they really want to see, than wait for something they don't care as much about missing)
« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2012 at 6:13pm by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Oct 27th, 2012 at 8:08pm

Dragonator   Offline
YaBB Newbies
"They're made out of meat!"

If this is going to be play at the marathon, please make it a dinner break movie.  I lost interest in it by the time Act III started.  I'd rather get out of the theater and eat some pizza than see it again.  Thanks!

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Nov 20th, 2012 at 12:46pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

i'll be seeing looper i think tonight at the tuesday night special at the discount theater. see here for review.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Nov 23rd, 2012 at 9:35pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

it's a damn shame that this movie was a bit of a dog because jeff daniels had a killer line that could have been as popular as "i'll be back" or "go ahead make my day". i will be using it if the opportunity arises.
this movie fell short of the gold standard of time travel movies :back to the future 1, 2 and 3. the violence was a little excessive for my tastes. a 12 year old could easily see the main premise was ludicrous.
spoiler
spoiler
spoiler
i can see why a man from the future would send people back in time to be executed. but why on earth would he go through the rigamarole of putting a fortune in gold on the back of executioners future self and send him back to be executed by his present self. why not send the future executioner to some other executioner and have him do the job for the standard price. you save gold and you don't have that nasty problem of "oh my god i just killed myself" or "i can't kill myself. screw the dire consequences".
so with all this said, the movie arrives at the scene where old bruce willis escapes from being killed by young bruce willis. old bruce willis disappears with all the gold. subsequently young bruce willis is at his regular killing station, he kills old bruce willis at the regular time and he gets the golden payoff. i think the editor made a big boo boo here.
in the finale, to stop old bruce willis from killing emily blunt and her demon seed, young bruce willis kills himself to make old bruce willis nonexistent. i think he could have accomplished the same goal by cutting off his trigger finger or perhaps blinding himself. beats being dead and you get the undying gratitude of emily blunt.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Nov 25th, 2012 at 9:05pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

looper was set in a post industrial collapse america. i forgot to look for the clues as to the causation. i think i'll get the dvd and listen to the director's comments.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged