WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
IDEAS for SF/38 February 2013 (Read 74376 times)
Reply #75 - Nov 25th, 2012 at 4:39pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

LA JETTE came close to being re-shown a couple of years ago. It should. Never was a fan of 12 MONKEYS although I was a driving force for it's showing a couple of years back. (I just thought it deserved a Marathon slot.) Too soon to show it again.

IP Logged

Reply #76 - Nov 25th, 2012 at 11:48pm

Paul-R   Offline
YaBB Newbies
I'll Be Blasting You
Lexington, Massachusetts

Perhaps some MARS movies would be appropriate if the Curiosity Rover's discovery (to be revealed in early December) turns out to be "one for the history books".

http://www.space.com/18565-mars-rover-curiosity-discovery-mystery.html

Stay tuned.

IP Logged

Reply #77 - Nov 30th, 2012 at 1:10pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

L.A. Connection wrote on Nov 25th, 2012 at 4:39pm:
LA JETTE came close to being re-shown a couple of years ago. It should. Never was a fan of 12 MONKEYS although I was a driving force for it's showing a couple of years back. (I just thought it deserved a Marathon slot.) Too soon to show it again.

With the many heretofore unshown films out there, I reluctantly agree. Just trying to think of quality films (I seem to have liked 12 Monks a lot more than LA did) -or combinations of films that have something to say about each other.
My really favorite films are so obvious & well known that even I might be bored seeing them again (Young Frank, Time Bandidos, Dr. Strangeglv. etc.)
What about Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel ?
Haven't seen it, but it's supposed to be funny and was pretty well reviewed. One source described it as  Doctor Who meets Shaun of the Dead.

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #78 - Dec 10th, 2012 at 11:47pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

This one's a repeat from last year.
Why not a Marvin Mini Marathon? The original series comprises, I believe;
    Haredevil Hare (1948)
    The Hasty Hare (1951)
    Duck Dodgers in the 24½th Century (1953)
    Hare-Way to the Stars (1958)
    Mad as a Mars Hare (1963)
In the 80s there are also:
    Spaced Out Bunny (1980)-
    Duck Dodgers and the Return of the 24½th Century        (1980)-
Given the popularity of Marvin -plus the Mars Rover - it would seem appropriate.

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #79 - Dec 16th, 2012 at 10:17pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

pogo wrote on Dec 10th, 2012 at 11:47pm:
This one's a repeat from last year.
Why not a Marvin Mini Marathon? The original series comprises, I believe;
    Haredevil Hare (1948)
    The Hasty Hare (1951)
    Duck Dodgers in the 24½th Century (1953)
    Hare-Way to the Stars (1958)
    Mad as a Mars Hare (1963)
In the 80s there are also:
    Spaced Out Bunny (1980)-
    Duck Dodgers and the Return of the 24½th Century        (1980)-
Given the popularity of Marvin -plus the Mars Rover - it would seem appropriate.

More Marvin is not a bad idea but I don't reccomend the second Duck Dodgers, it's not very good. check it out here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idB7zUnuZas
Lesser known and impossible to get is Marvin's 3D appearance http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meZDEjhV7rE it was part of a ride at the NYC WB store.
There is also one called Attack of the Drones done in 2003.
Actually Marvin appeared in the Looney Tunes Back In Action film (along with a Dalek, Man From Planet X, Triffids, and Kevin Mccarthy in B&W)

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #80 - Dec 26th, 2012 at 3:40pm

kickdacatt   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks
New York

What about:

Queen of Blood (1966) - Dennis Hopper

IP Logged

Reply #81 - Jan 2nd, 2013 at 10:13am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I d enjoy seeing QUEEN OF BLOOD myself - especially if we could get Bruce's print of SPACE BOY!                  

What 2012 films would u want to see this marathon?
« Last Edit: Jan 3rd, 2013 at 4:26am by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #82 - Jan 2nd, 2013 at 4:03pm

Jon   Offline
MA

Is it too soon for "Children of Men?"
I could watch anything from 2012 as I did not get to the movies much and haven't seen anything this year - John Carter would be nice and looked like fun; Prometheus is fine by me as almost anything is cool the first time around; you name it and I'll be there (clearly, I bought my tickets long ago, now).   
Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #83 - Jan 2nd, 2013 at 5:09pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

jon. prometheus is not fine. trust me on this one.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #84 - Jan 4th, 2013 at 12:36am

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

But in agreement with Jon. I would advocate for the newest stuff that has not been at the Thon. You don't have to lard up the schedule with everything new that comes down the pike, as the Cleveland fest does. But the newest, most commented upon, perhaps unseen by attendees flic? Might be nice.

IP Logged

Reply #85 - Jan 5th, 2013 at 10:54am

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

2012 stuff:

* Detention has been showing up on a number of more daring end-of-year lists, and I'd recommend it, having seen it both at a festival and in a regular theater.  It's fast, funny, and while the horror elements were promoted more the sci-fi elements are the most fun.  My only worry is that it is aggressively modern, made for teenagers who process multiple information streams better than us middle-aged folk.

* I liked Cloud Atlas and think it deserved a lot better at the box office, but fully recognize that it is long, weird, and only two of its six threads are science fictional and the whole thing is tied together by vague spiritual transmigration stuff.

* Dredd is a pretty damn great hard-R sci-fi action movie that succeeds in every place the Stallone movie fails.  Kind of slight, but I think it would be fun late-night blood-and-guts and work pretty well in 2D even though it was built for 3D from the ground up.

* DO NOT BOOK BRANDED.  I shouldn't have to say this, but I can totally picture Garen seeing the attempted cleverness and occasionally neat visuals and going for it.  DON'T DO IT!!!

* Robot & Frank is fun.  Slight, but a good AM selection.

* I'll admit it - I liked Battleship.  It is a whole box of dumb, but just so goofily literal at times that it can get past that.

* Did folks here see Chronicle?  Darn good superhero story that shows there's life in the found-footage form yet.  Its flight scenes recapture how new and exhilarating it must be as well as anything since the Donner Superman.

And three English-language films that played festivals this year that would fit right in:

* Manborg is short, pretty funny, and so good at recreating 1980s direct-to-video schlock that the audience might not recognize just how well-executed everything is.

* Grabbers is very funny; a Tremors vibe in an Irish fishing town.  IFC Midnight has it and I'm not sure what their rollout plans are, but it's worth a call.

* John Dies at the End has apparently been tweaked since it played BUFF last year.  I liked it and figure it makes a lot of sense to put it at the end of the program, both for the name and for how extra-trippy it will seem with the sleep deprivation (its on VOD now with a theatrical release at the end of the month; it's also scheduled to play midnights at the Coolidge the first weekend of March).

IP Logged

Reply #86 - Jan 5th, 2013 at 12:21pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Thanks, Jay.

CLOUD ATLAS is just too long for the marathon. I admired it's ambition, but, it never quite comes off - and, much of the makeup is downright laughable. I do recommend Marathoners see it, though.

ROBOT & FRANK isn't a bad idea for the 'thon. It's slight, but enjoyable. Like a modern day 'Twilight Zone' episode. I think some of the alzheimer's stuff plays the old screenwriters game of conveniently fitting the narrative more than the reality of the situation, but not bad.

I didn't see CHRONICLE, but I've suggested it for this year's event based on the positive reviews which has even placed it on a few Top 10 films of the year lists. It was one of those 'I want to see it, but never quite got around to it' movies.

MANBORG played our sister Marathon in Ohio last year. It didn't go over that well according to the posts on their messageboard: http://www.scifimarathon.com/phpBB2/search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=...
« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2013 at 1:59am by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #87 - Jan 5th, 2013 at 1:53pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Remember live acts? Remember "Serious Fun"? Remember "Astroslut"? Remember "The Borg"? Well, maybe it's better not to remember "The Borg". Here's a band that could really rock the 'thon.

http://gizmodo.com/5973352/watch-this-crazy-robot-band-rock-out-like-total-machi...

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #88 - Jan 11th, 2013 at 10:47pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Fritz Lang's 'Frau Im Monde' just added, long overdue for a marathon showing.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #89 - Jan 12th, 2013 at 2:10am

Lile   Offline
SF Rocks

I'm looking forward to seeing this.I noticed on IMDB that there is a 200 minute restored version,does anyone know anything about that?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7