WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
IDEAS for SF/38 February 2013 (Read 74465 times)
Reply #60 - Nov 1st, 2012 at 9:12pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Welcome, Tim!

ESCAPE FROM NY has somehow 'escaped' being booked, despite the efforts to get it shown. A lot of the other suggestions sound ok. What is NATURAL CITY?

And, keep posting!

UncleTim wrote on Nov 1st, 2012 at 7:36pm:
New to the boards so I don't know if any of these suggestions have been brought up for previous years and shot down for various reasons but here are a few ideas:

For the recent film pick, if there's no heavy objection to found footage there's Chronicle, which at least found new things to do with it.

Otherwise, Duncan Jones' Source Code was pretty good as well and I heartily agree with showing John Carter as I really think the opinion is going to turn around on that one eventually and it's a lot of fun.

For some random older suggestions that haven't (as far as I can tell) played at the 'Thon before (although there might be some good reasons):

The Thirteenth Floor
Time Crimes
Demolition Man
Mimic
The Final Countdown
The Fountain
Escape from New York
Natural City

IP Logged

Reply #61 - Nov 1st, 2012 at 11:06pm

UncleTim   Offline
SF Rocks

L.A. Connection wrote on Nov 1st, 2012 at 9:12pm:
Welcome, Tim!

ESCAPE FROM NY has somehow 'escaped' being booked, despite the efforts to get it shown. A lot of the other suggestions sound ok. What is NATURAL CITY?

And, keep posting!

Thanks!

It's a South Korean film, obviously inspired by (some might argue outright ripping off) Blade Runner, about a man's attempts to find a human body to house his beloved android's mind before she expires. Despite the familiarity of the plot it has some interesting twists on the concept and some nice visuals.

IP Logged

Reply #62 - Nov 2nd, 2012 at 8:49pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

R_F_Fineman wrote on Oct 31st, 2012 at 5:35pm:
Believe it or not,  the original "Creature From the Black Lagoon" has never played the thon!  I understand that a 3-D print has been making the rounds. Happy Day!

It would depend entirely on which type of print it is (more on that in a moment).

Jon wrote on Nov 1st, 2012 at 12:25pm:
Saw both in the early 80s at a Brattle double-3D-bill.  Would like to see it again.

As I explained in a now long-gone post that vanished into the electronic ether when this board went belly-up, there are a number of different ways to project 3D on film: single strip with two images, dual projection, & anaglyph.  Anaglyph sucks, & I would fight against showing any film in that miserable process.

Quote:
Modern 3D is better

This is not technically true; in fact, it's so untrue it's exasperating.  Do you have any idea how digital 3D works?  I'll bet not.  If you did, you wouldnt be saying things like that. 
     Youve probably never seen 3D film properly projected.  It's very easy to screw up, believe me.

Quote:
Can we get the latest "Journey to the Center of the Earth" in 3D?  Silly script and performances, yes, but 3D is OK just for its own sake sometimes.

Currently, the big house in incapable of projecting 3D, either in film or digital.  Because of technical limitations which I'm not going to try to explain here, we will never be able to show digital (or "modern," as he puts it) 3D in the big house.
     We might, at some point in the future, be able to set things up to project film 3D, though.  It would be a huge expenditure (we would have to hang a new, separate screen; so we would need a frame, the rigging, & the screen, all of which equals a large outlay of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$), but it could be done.
     Dont hold your breath, however.  Grin

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #63 - Nov 3rd, 2012 at 11:09pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

we need a movie that will get a song stuck in the marathoner's heads for a week. last year it was mothra: MOTT OO ROY AH. MOTT OO ROY AH. before that it was the repoman riff. any suggestions?

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #64 - Nov 4th, 2012 at 12:08am

UncleTim   Offline
SF Rocks

kirok wrote on Nov 3rd, 2012 at 11:09pm:
we need a movie that will get a song stuck in the marathoner's heads for a week. last year it was mothra: MOTT OO ROY AH. MOTT OO ROY AH. before that it was the repoman riff. any suggestions?

How about The Green Slime?

IP Logged

Reply #65 - Nov 4th, 2012 at 11:50pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

On Facebook, Garen says he's found a nice print of DEMONLOVER!

Dare we?

IP Logged

Reply #66 - Nov 9th, 2012 at 10:52pm

STUARTe   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

Hello all.

IP Logged

Reply #67 - Nov 9th, 2012 at 10:53pm

STUARTe   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

I'm new here.

IP Logged

Reply #68 - Nov 9th, 2012 at 10:54pm

STUARTe   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

I need to post three times before i can post a picture for that funny countdown that you guys do.

IP Logged

Reply #69 - Nov 9th, 2012 at 11:54pm

Lile   Offline
SF Rocks

Welcome to the board.

IP Logged

Reply #70 - Nov 12th, 2012 at 5:08pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

How about,Whisperer In The Darkness.
It has a deliberately retro feel. For a fannish movie it's pretty good.
Would also like to see The Navigator: A Mediaeval Odyssey It's one of the few films that I've ever seen which juxtaposes Science Fiction content with the feel for real culture shock. Also fantasy with realism.
« Last Edit: Nov 12th, 2012 at 11:07pm by pogo »  

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #71 - Nov 12th, 2012 at 6:24pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

NAVIGATOR has been on my list since - oh, about, 2 weeks BEFORE it got released in this country! (saw it at a Film Festival) And, yes, there is a 35mm print.

Director Vincent Ward went on to make WHAT DREAMS MAY COME and he was the original writer/Director on the underrated ALIEN 3.

pogo wrote on Nov 12th, 2012 at 5:08pm:
It has a deliberately retro fee. For a fannish movie it's pretty good.
Would also like to see The Navigator: A Mediaeval Odyssey It's one of the few films that I've ever seen which juxtaposes Science Fiction content with the feel for real culture shock. Also fantasy with realism.

IP Logged

Reply #72 - Nov 12th, 2012 at 7:48pm

Lile   Offline
SF Rocks

L.A. Connection wrote on Nov 12th, 2012 at 6:24pm:
NAVIGATOR has been on my list since - oh, about, 2 weeks BEFORE it got released in this country! (saw it at a Film Festival) And, yes, there is a 35mm print.

Director Vincent Ward went on to make WHAT DREAMS MAY COME and he was the original writer/Director on the
underrated ALIEN 3.

I've heard about this movie but never got the chance to see it, would like to see it at the 'thon.

[img]

pogo wrote on Nov 12th, 2012 at 5:08pm:
It has a deliberately retro fee. For a fannish movie it's pretty good.

IP Logged

Reply #73 - Nov 25th, 2012 at 1:58am

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

Checking the list, I see that both La Jetee and 12 Monkeys have played the Thon, the latter as recently as #31. Still, it would be nice to see the two shown together.
Jetee predicted a world wide plague, long before AIDS. And 12 Monkeys took a genuinely scary film and turned it into something rarely seen in our genre, a work that is genuinely contemporary, with a message, but not didactic.

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #74 - Nov 25th, 2012 at 5:33am

Rich Bartlett   Offline

After both La Jetee and 12 Monkeys, we could play La Puppe to complete the trilogy.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7