WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
IDEAS for SF/38 February 2013 (Read 73992 times)
Reply #45 - Oct 3rd, 2012 at 2:31pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

i have it. the perfect tribute to neil armstrong.
skip forward to 12 minutes into this clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyFaHIXqOfc&feature=related

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #46 - Oct 4th, 2012 at 6:44pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Ah Bob & Ray, the two and only.
You're right a good tribute.

Actually since it was shot locally it's really too bad we can't show that entire film.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #47 - Oct 5th, 2012 at 3:10am

Lile   Offline
SF Rocks

I've wanted to see this film at the 'thon for years. I think there's only one print and it's in a museum.

IP Logged

Reply #48 - Oct 5th, 2012 at 11:58pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

Haven't been back here much since the Fantasia Festival in Montreal (this post on my blog serves as sort of a master index of everything I saw), but did see a smattering of foreign/indie stuff that might be worth considering:

Ace Attorney:  Takashi Miike's adaptation of the popular Nintendo DS game is one of the most entertaining movies ever made from a video game (and that's from a guy who likes the Resident Evil series).  It's probably too long, but it's just joyously absurd and funny even if you've never heard of Phoenix Wright before.

Alter Egos: An enjoyable superhero comedy that was picked up by Kevin Smith's label, which actually has enough plot to be interesting, rather than just jokes at the expense of comic book (movie) tropes.

Blood-C: The Last Dark:  A vampires-in-the-future movie that's got some nice animated action, but which is pretty much impenetrable if you aren't familiar with the "Blood" multimedia franchise.

Carré Blanc:  I wound up liking this French dystopian future picture, but even though it's pretty short, it requires a fair amount of patience.

Children Who Chase Lost Voices From Deep Below:  The new animated film from Makoto Shinkai, who is absolutely fantastic (if you like sf that's both emotional and based on good science, you owe it to yourself to track down his 20-minute "Voices from a Different Star".  Heck, "Voices" really should be put into the thon sometime).  This one is probably more fantasy than sci-fi, but close enough to the line to be worth including because it's beautiful and exciting and presents some new cool thing every ten minutes.

Doomsday Book: A Korean anthology film that should be hitting DVD/BD in December, but might be worth a slot in the marathon - the middle segment is done by Kim Jee-Woon (who did The Good, the Bad, the Weird and I Saw the Devil and is directing Schwarzeneggar's big comeback film The Last Stand), and the two on either side are highly entertaining end-of-the-world scenarios.

The Fourth Dimension:  A decent anthology film, although the English-language section is pretty silly (though it's nice to see Val Kilmer not taking himself too seriously), but some more sfnal bits in the Russian and Polish thirds.

Grabbers:  A fun & funny monster movie in the vein of Tremors, with blood-sucking monsters from under the sea who can be poisoned with alcohol.  Nice, likable cast, fun use of certain tropes at the end.  I liked it a lot.

Gyo: Tokyo Fish Attack: SF/horror anime.  Has sharks climbing out of the ocean on mechanical spider legs, and then gets more f'ed up.

The Human Race:  Should be considered for inclusion in the festival, especially since it wasn't completely finished when screened in Montreal.  It's a solid low-budget sci-fi action flick, with a lead who can kick your butt despite only having the one leg.

Isn't Anyone Alive?:  The apocalypse as dark, absurdist comedy.  Kind of wears out its welcome about halfway through.

Robo-G:  Japanese comedy whose SF elements are pretty light (old man pretends to be robot for wacky reasons).  Charming, though.

Schoolgirl Apocalypse:  Believe it or not, something very far from the exploitation/kitsch it sounds like.  Kind of gets betrayed by its low budget, but I liked it a lot.

The Warped Forest:  Anybody here seen Funky Forest: The First Contact?  This is the stuff from perhaps the most eccentric of that movie's three directors that was too weird for that film (but also much less random and scattershot, in its way).

IP Logged

Reply #49 - Oct 6th, 2012 at 7:01pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Thanks for the Fest update, Jay.

Of course, we do seem to have a submission to enter policy, so the question will be whether some of these filmmakers have heard of our Fest.

IP Logged

Reply #50 - Oct 26th, 2012 at 11:07pm

Paul-R   Offline
YaBB Newbies
I'll Be Blasting You
Lexington, Massachusetts

How about Matinee?

It hasn't played since SF18 and it is the 50th anniversary of the Cuban Missile Crisis.

IP Logged

Reply #51 - Oct 26th, 2012 at 11:11pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Actually, only the "Mant" parts of it were shown on a reel. MATINEE has NEVER shown in it's entirety!

Paul-R wrote on Oct 26th, 2012 at 11:07pm:
How about Matinee?

It hasn't played since SF18 and it is the 50th anniversary of the Cuban Missile Crisis.

IP Logged

Reply #52 - Oct 26th, 2012 at 11:22pm

Paul-R   Offline
YaBB Newbies
I'll Be Blasting You
Lexington, Massachusetts

It's a solid movie. Not really SF except for the MANT part I suppose, but it's certainly entertaining.

Are prints likely to be available?

IP Logged

Reply #53 - Oct 27th, 2012 at 7:00am

kirok   Offline
God Member

another cold war retrospective: "blast from the past". if we get blast from the past i will do my christopher walken impersonation in the alien mating cry contest.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #54 - Oct 27th, 2012 at 12:04pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Paul-R wrote on Oct 26th, 2012 at 11:22pm:
It's a solid movie. Not really SF except for the MANT part I suppose, but it's certainly entertaining.

Are prints likely to be available?

While no 35mm prints can be said to be readily "available" any longer, there have been film screenings of MATINEE in the last couple of years. Of course, FRANKENSTEIN played the Marathon in February, and just this week it was digital.

IP Logged

Reply #55 - Oct 31st, 2012 at 5:35pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Believe it or not,  the original "Creature From the Black Lagoon" has never played the thon!

I understand that a 3-D print has been making the rounds. Happy Day! Cheesy

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #56 - Oct 31st, 2012 at 6:30pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

We got close a couple of years ago.

Instead, IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE was booked ---- for the 3rd time in 3D (fourth time overall).

Roll Eyes

R_F_Fineman wrote on Oct 31st, 2012 at 5:35pm:
Believe it or not,  the original "Creature From the Black Lagoon" has never played the thon!

[img]

IP Logged

Reply #57 - Oct 31st, 2012 at 11:56pm

Lile   Offline
SF Rocks

R_F_Fineman wrote on Oct 31st, 2012 at 5:35pm:

[img]

Would love to see Creature from the Black Lagoon at the 'thon, does a 3 d print still exist?

IP Logged

Reply #58 - Nov 1st, 2012 at 12:25pm

Jon   Offline
MA

Saw both in the early 80s at a Brattle double-3D-bill.  Would like to see it again.  Modern 3D is better, but this would be cool to see again.
Can we get the latest "Journey to the Center of the Earth" in 3D?  Silly script and performances, yes, but 3D is OK just for its own sake sometimes.  We should all see it while it's still viable, and it'd be fun to get to compare 1957 to 2003 (probably have the actual year dates wrong, but my point is relative, not exact). Cheesy

IP Logged

Reply #59 - Nov 1st, 2012 at 7:36pm

UncleTim   Offline
SF Rocks

New to the boards so I don't know if any of these suggestions have been brought up for previous years and shot down for various reasons but here are a few ideas:

For the recent film pick, if there's no heavy objection to found footage there's Chronicle, which at least found new things to do with it.

Otherwise, Duncan Jones' Source Code was pretty good as well and I heartily agree with showing John Carter as I really think the opinion is going to turn around on that one eventually and it's a lot of fun.

For some random older suggestions that haven't (as far as I can tell) played at the 'Thon before (although there might be some good reasons):

The Thirteenth Floor
Time Crimes
Demolition Man
Mimic
The Final Countdown
The Fountain
Escape from New York
Natural City

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7