WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
IDEAS for SF/38 February 2013 (Read 74299 times)
Reply #30 - Sep 22nd, 2012 at 11:36am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Glad to see that things have changed so much around here.  Kirok gives a personal opinon and the horde descends upon him.  Oh yea, that's gonna draw more people here.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #31 - Sep 23rd, 2012 at 2:05pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Forgot to mention this year's ROBOT & FRANK with Frank Langella. It's a softish SF tale which could have been a segment of the anthology ROBOT STORIES (which played at the Dedham at SF/29). Nothing great, but, like ROBOT STORIES might hit the spot for certain Marathoners.

It's still playing in theaters.

IP Logged

Reply #32 - Sep 25th, 2012 at 9:02pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Frank wrote on Sep 22nd, 2012 at 11:36am:
Oh yea, that's gonna draw more people here. 

Let's face it guys, if we want to get some more activity on the board here we have got to let people know it's here. That means putting the address on Facebook, Twitter etc.
I mean when the early bird tickets went on sale there was an announcement on Facebook WITH NO LINK!
Seriously.
And yes I do know what might happen if the address does get out there on those sites.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #33 - Sep 29th, 2012 at 4:19pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

There are some revamps on the various websites in the works.

Meanwhile, toss in your ideas and suggestions for the upcoming Marathon and Festival.

Not sure if this would work in either, but I personally can't wait to see this:

http://drafthousefilms.com/blog/entry/drafthouse_films_trailer_war

TRAILER for this film about Trailers here (Warning NSFW):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NDD6S8MuECQ

DRAFTHOUSE FILMS UNLEASHES EXPLOITATION COMPILATION “TRAILER WAR”
September 28, 2012 by Casey Warnick

The Alamo Drafthouse, The American Genre Film Archive and filmmaker Joe Dante come together to present the Ultimate Trailer Collection! Rescued from impending destruction and donated by Tim League, these rare 35mm prints and trailers will blow your mind! Read on for the official press release...
AUSTIN, TX –  Drafthouse Films, the film distribution arm of the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema, has partnered with the American Genre Film Archive to release Trailer War, a meticulously curated feature-length program of vintage, rare 35mm coming attraction trailers. Each of the selections are presented for the first time in high-definition and most have been previously unavailable on any home video format. A theatrical tour presented in 35mm is planned for December 2012 and pre-order is available now for DVD/Blu-ray fan packs which will be available December 18th exclusively on www.DrafthouseFilms.com. Animal Protector and Amuck, both featured on the compilation, are available now as free digital downloads in HD here: http://t.opsp.in/a0Fv5.

IP Logged

Reply #34 - Sep 29th, 2012 at 8:52pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Saw the trailer for Trailer War and it really looks wild. I did not recognize any films in the trailer.
From what I understand it's a video only release (I'm going to order the DVD for my collection>)

IP Logged

Reply #35 - Sep 30th, 2012 at 12:32am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

da_Bunnyman wrote on Sep 29th, 2012 at 8:52pm:
Saw the trailer for Trailer War and it really looks wild. I did not recognize any films in the trailer.
From what I understand it's a video only release (I'm going to order the DVD for my collection>)

Actually, in the Press Release I linked to, they specifically note that there will be 35mm prints!

Word has been passed on........ Wink

IP Logged

Reply #36 - Sep 30th, 2012 at 9:00am

kirok   Offline
God Member

L.A. Connection wrote on Sep 30th, 2012 at 12:32am:

Actually, in the Press Release I linked to, they specifically note that there will be 35mm prints!

Word has been passed on........ Wink

Wink Wink

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #37 - Sep 30th, 2012 at 7:40pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Ah you're right, looks like a very limited release starting in Dec so by Feb it could in theory be available to us.
Definitely gonna have to be a late night flick though.

IP Logged

Reply #38 - Oct 2nd, 2012 at 1:08pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Yeah, because nothing in the world would make my life more complete than wrestling with a pile of trailers -- in different ratios, sound formats, & condition -- while single-handedly running a 24 hour marathon!
     Will no one take pity on my miserable plight?  Cry

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #39 - Oct 2nd, 2012 at 1:31pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I think the idea is that it will be edited together as a single MOVIE. You wouldn't project each individual trailer.

David the Projectionist wrote on Oct 2nd, 2012 at 1:08pm:

Yeah, because nothing in the world would make my life more complete than wrestling with a pile of trailers -- in different ratios, sound formats, & condition -- while single-handedly running a 24 hour marathon!
     Will no one take pity on my miserable plight?  Cry

IP Logged

Reply #40 - Oct 2nd, 2012 at 2:52pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

L.A. Connection wrote on Oct 2nd, 2012 at 1:31pm:
I think the idea is that it will be edited together as a single MOVIE. You wouldn't project each individual trailer.

oh no. did i just here someone say release the kracken. i'll go see if i can find the head of medusa somewhere.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #41 - Oct 2nd, 2012 at 3:04pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

It's too bad that the film looks like it focuses on obscure grindhouse titles that only Quentin Tarrantino could love.  As a drive-in projectionist, I saw a lot of films during the 70's but not one of those looked familiar. If the focus were more on science-fiction or even horror, it would be a beter fit.

The article goes on to mention that the Trailer Wars DVD features an interview with Joe Dante, creator of, among many other things,  "Trailers From Hell".

That site rocks. What I particularly like is the organization of films into playlists by director or genre.

Looking for William Castle?
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL899C10B1CFEAECB7

Looking for Bugs?
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3A0580CB8E77217E&feature=plcp

Not only are there cheesy trailers for bad movies, there are also surprisingly corny trailers for movies that are actually good! You would never guess by the trailer that "Sid and Nancy" or "Rosemary's Baby" were quality films.

Looking for "Schlock"? You've come to the right place!

Director John Landis on "Schlock"

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #42 - Oct 2nd, 2012 at 10:39pm

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

L.A. Connection wrote on Oct 2nd, 2012 at 1:31pm:

We all ready have trailers like that, remember?  They come from Bruce, every year.  And whom do you suppose goes through every one of those reels & writes down the titles & sound formats for every trailer so you can see & hear them correctly?  I'll give you one guess.
     I tell you, you do your job as a projectionist well, & no one is aware of your existence.
     And we dont need more trailer reels!!   Angry

IP Logged

Reply #43 - Oct 2nd, 2012 at 10:59pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I think the point here is that this is a compilation MOVIE. Feature film. Single unit. The various clips are edited together like the Who's KIDS ARE ALRIGHT, or the horror scenes in TERROR IN THE AISLES, or the Musical bits in THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT.

You don't splice up each and every clip. It's already done by Drafthouse Releasing.

IP Logged

Reply #44 - Oct 2nd, 2012 at 11:37pm

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

L.A. Connection wrote on Oct 2nd, 2012 at 10:59pm:
I think the point here is that this is a compilation MOVIE. Feature film. Single unit. You don't splice up each and every clip. It's already done by Drafthouse Releasing.

Goddammit, Tony, Ive run trailer compilation shows before & theyre certain death!  Have you ever sat through one?  It's okay for the first 20 minutes or so (average trailer length is 2 to 3 minutes), but after that, you start to lose your mind & wonder if the damn thing will ever end.  (How much longer is this going to run?  Will it never end?  Lemme outta here!!!)
     We run enough trailers!
     And I dont trust what you say: it sounds like theyre splicing a bunch of trailers together, which means that every reel will have to be very carefully checked.  Unless, of course, you want a disaster in your hands.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7