WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
IDEAS for SF/38 February 2013 (Read 74298 times)
Reply #15 - Sep 17th, 2012 at 12:32pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

i have a cause. this ain't over.
http://www.myspace.com/video/vid/59474307

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #16 - Sep 18th, 2012 at 2:11pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Any ideas for SF films released in 2012 that are worthy of the obligatory slot or two?

PROMETHEUS was interesting if not wholly successful. HUNGER GAMES was just OK - maybe, if we paired it with a more classic 'Human Sport' film like 10TH VICTIM or DEATHRACE 2000 it might work as an old vs. new double feature.

IP Logged

Reply #17 - Sep 18th, 2012 at 8:51pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

by all means yes, do show prometheus at the marathon. it's significant. there hasn't been a big budget turkey like that since the mark wahlberg planet of the apes remake.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #18 - Sep 18th, 2012 at 9:03pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

I mentioned that Mrs F and I liked Paranorman in a review post. It might work in a Monster House kind of way.

Cabin in the Woods was also a lot of fun. One plot twist, that I will not reveal, kind of qualifies it but I will not argue with those who say its really a Horror Film parody.

Splice from two years ago is clearly science fiction and might be a good fit. It was no blockbuster but I liked the performances by Adrien Brody, Sarah Polley and an unrecognizable Delphine Cheneac.

Images of Mars are all the rage right now:

I'm a fan of Burroughs' book and, while I haven't seen the film, many who have say John Carter didn't deserve the premature burial that Disney gave him. Wink

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #19 - Sep 18th, 2012 at 10:01pm

Lile   Offline
SF Rocks

Did see John Carter and liked it. Wouldn't mind seeing it at the 'thon. I haven't seen either Cabin in the Woods or Splice yet.

IP Logged

Reply #20 - Sep 18th, 2012 at 11:48pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I thought MONSTER HOUSE was an ok film, but a rotten Marathon selection. Monster louse, more like it.

CABIN IN THE WOODS sucked as both parody and horror. Not to mention as a film.

SPLICE was on the consideration list last year so you never know.

R_F_Fineman wrote on Sep 18th, 2012 at 9:03pm:
I mentioned that Mrs F and I liked Paranorman in a review post. It might work in a Monster House kind of way.

Cabin in the Woods was also a lot of fun. One plot twist, that I will not reveal, kind of qualifies it but I will not argue with those who say its really a Horror Film parody.

Splice from two years ago is clearly science fiction and might be a good fit. It was no blockbuster but I liked the performances by Adrien Brody, Sarah Polley and an unrecognizable Delphine Cheneac.

Images of Mars are all the rage right now:

[img]

I'm a fan of Burroughs' book and, while I haven't seen the film, many who have say John Carter didn't deserve the premature burial that Disney gave him. Wink

IP Logged

Reply #21 - Sep 20th, 2012 at 7:29am

kirok   Offline
God Member

i saw hitchcock's "the birds" last night at a special one night showing. it was the 50th anniversary remastered version. very nice and the movie holds up well. i think it would be a great marathon experience and tribute.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #22 - Sep 20th, 2012 at 4:32pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

kirok wrote on Sep 20th, 2012 at 7:29am:
i saw hitchcock's "the birds" last night at a special one night showing. it was the 50th anniversary remastered version. very nice and the movie holds up well. i think it would be a great marathon experience and tribute.

That was a digital presentation, & if that were attempted here I would scream bloody murder until an actual print was procured.  The original negative is intact, so no "remastering" was necessary: it's just the typical con job to get people who dont know anything into the theatre.
     I would also argue about that turgid mess "holding up well."  Tippi "holds up well"?  Since when?  The woman couldnt act her way through a sleeping commercial, even if she were tranquilized.

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #23 - Sep 20th, 2012 at 5:21pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Quote:
"the birds" ...would be a great marathon experience and tribute.

There's always the remake! Wink

"Birdemic!" (1.9 on IMDB)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1316037/

and yes, it will be coming to the big screen soon,

http://www.rifftrax.com/rifftrax/birdemic
thanks to the Mystery Science Theater veterans behind Rifftrax!

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #24 - Sep 20th, 2012 at 5:28pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Have to confess, THE BIRDS is perhaps my least fave of Hitchcock's "major films".  But, yes, a 35MM print would be preferable to a digital makeover. And, 35MM prints have played in L.A. and other locations recently (including Today!).

BIRDEMIC might be fun, but the So-Bad-It's-Good type films have not done well at the Marathon recently. Plus, BIRDEMIC is a recent flick and you're getting into iffy Blamire territory there.

David the Projectionist wrote on Sep 20th, 2012 at 4:32pm:

That was a digital presentation, & if that were attempted here I would scream bloody murder until an actual print was procured.  The original negative is intact, so no "remastering" was necessary: it's just the typical con job to get people who dont know anything into the theatre.
     I would also argue about that turgid mess "holding up well."  Tippi "holds up well"?  Since when?  The woman couldnt act her way through a sleeping commercial, even if she were tranquilized.

IP Logged

Reply #25 - Sep 20th, 2012 at 9:07pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

35mm gotcha fine. get it. people will be scared shitless. also anthony hopkins will be up for an academy award for his portrayal of hitchcock. so it would be a good idea to anticipate and capitalize on hitchcock mania.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #26 - Sep 20th, 2012 at 10:35pm

Metaluna   Offline

kirok wrote on Sep 20th, 2012 at 9:07pm:
35mm gotcha fine. get it. people will be scared shitless. also anthony hopkins will be up for an academy award for his portrayal of hitchcock. so it would be a good idea to anticipate and capitalize on hitchcock mania.

Remember how the board software used to change it to Hitchthingy? That was funny.

"MAKE ME A SERGEANT, CHARGE THE BOOZE!"
IP Logged

Reply #27 - Sep 20th, 2012 at 10:56pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Hitchthingy actually was the better director. His film about birds was much much more terrifying....

Metaluna wrote on Sep 20th, 2012 at 10:35pm:

Remember how the board software used to change it to Hitchthingy? That was funny.

IP Logged

Reply #28 - Sep 21st, 2012 at 12:07pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

Metaluna wrote on Sep 20th, 2012 at 10:35pm:

metaluna, you are an not a nice person. Cheesy
« Last Edit: Sep 21st, 2012 at 2:36pm by kirok »  

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #29 - Sep 22nd, 2012 at 7:29am

kirok   Offline
God Member

David the Projectionist wrote on Sep 20th, 2012 at 4:32pm:

FOOD FOR THOUGHT
The Greatest Sin---------------------------------------------------Fear.
The Best Day------------------------------------------------------Today.
The Biggest Fool---------------------------The Boy Who Not Go To School.
The Best Town-----------------------------------------Where You Succeed.
Most Agreeable Mate-----------------One Who Would Not Have You Any Different From What You Already Are.
The Great Bore----------------------One Who Will Not Come To The Point.
Still Greater Bore------One Who Keeps Talking After He Has Made His Point.

The Great Deceiver---------------------------One Who Deceives Himself.
The Greatest Invention Of The Devil-------------------------------War.
The Greatest Secret Of Production------------------------Saving Waste.
The Best Work-------------------------------------------What You Like.
The Best Play----------------------------------------------------Work.
The Cheapest, Stupidest And Easiest Thing To Do---------Finding Fault In Other People
The Greatest Comfort---------------------------The Knowledge That You have Done Your Work Well.
The Greatest Mistake----------------------------------------Giving Up.
The Most Expensive Indulgence------------------------------------Hate.
The Greatest Trouble Maker---------------------One Who Talks Too Much.
The Greatest Stumbling Block----------------------------------Egotism.
The Most Ridiculous Asset---------------------------------------Pride.
The Worst Bankrupt-----------------------------The Soul That Has Lost Its Enthusiasm.
The Most Dangerous Person----------------------------------The Liar.
The Most Disagreeable Person----------------------------The Complainer.
The Meanest Feelings Of Which Any Human Is Capable-----------------Jealouse and Envy.
The Cleverest Man----------------------------------One Who Always Does What He Thinks Is Right.
The Greatest Need----------------------------------------Common Sense.
The Greatest Puzzle----------------------------------------------Life.
The Greatest Mystery--------------------------------------------Death.
The Greatest Thought----------------------------------------------God.
The Greatest Thing, Bar None, In All The World-------------------Love.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7