WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Messageboard vs. other boards, sites (Read 12058 times)
Jun 9th, 2012 at 9:20pm

Metaluna   Offline

R_F_Fineman wrote on Jun 9th, 2012 at 8:55pm:
What?...nothing on "Prometheus"...it's quiet...almost TOO quiet...doesen't anybody want to start?...anybody?

In space, no one can hear you critique.

Note: New topic head, split off from PROMETHEUS thread - admin
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2012 at 2:44pm by L.A. Connection »  

"MAKE ME A SERGEANT, CHARGE THE BOOZE!"
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jun 10th, 2012 at 3:03pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Yea, I have pretty much moved over from here to Facebook.  This board is just too quiet.  So, you know how I feel about it.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jun 10th, 2012 at 3:53pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

This board still gets more posts than the main site and it's Facebook sites combined.

I didn't see PROMETHEUS yet, but I did see a SF movie this weekend. I guess I should see that AVENGERS thingee, too.

Here's that review of SAFETY NOT GUARANTEED: http://sf.theboard.net/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1339371463/0#0
« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2012 at 6:39pm by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jun 10th, 2012 at 11:34pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Only Tony would try to spin things to make Facebook less popular than the messageboard.  I don't mean the main site or the facebook marathon site.   The board is dead long live the new board.  You have about 8 people contributing regularly here and believe I know where they stand on most things as you know where I stand on most things.  On facebook and I mean Facebook as a whole entity I reach a lot more folks.  Give it up Tony, you can spin it all you want.  The posts here are coming from the same 8 or so including me.  I will be here from time to time but I can discuss new movies with a lot more folks on Facebook and get many mor eopinions.  I will be here regularly when crunch times comes.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 2:37pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

(may have to move this discussion)
Quote:
LA:
This board still gets more posts than the main site and it's Facebook sites combined.

Having a lot of experience on both, I can say that his site is significantly better, especially during the months running up to the marathon. To be critical of it now would be like criticizing a ski-resort in June.

Quote:
Frank:
I can discuss new movies with a lot more folks on Facebook and get many mor eopinions.

Yeah, that's the problem. Sometimes I agree with projectionist Dave and sometimes not, but I much prefer his expertise and print-quality report to the random rantings of some of the FB cranks.

Last January, this board was going through each of the films and posters were providing insights into their production history, cast members, and place in the genre. At the same time, FB, while well moderated,  was dominated by some guy (nameless here) who was still angry at former VP candidate Sarah Palin. Huh

Note: Topic title changed to new thread title - admin

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 2:48pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

What R.F. said!

Wink

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 3:18pm

Metaluna   Offline

Yeah, but at least Facebook doesn't keep moving my posts.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 3:22pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

R.F. suggested the split. And, he was right. And, at least this board doesn't sell your posts to advertisers and doesn't provide ammo to employers and the law.  Tongue

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 3:57pm

Metaluna   Offline

L.A. Connection wrote on Jun 11th, 2012 at 3:22pm:
R.F. suggested the split. And, he was right. And, at least this board doesn't sell your posts to advertisers and doesn't provide ammo to employers and the law.  Tongue

All those cat videos are gonna get me put in jail someday.

My post was a perfectly appropriate response to his.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Jun 12th, 2012 at 12:56am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

R_F_Fineman wrote on Jun 11th, 2012 at 2:37pm:
(may have to move this discussion)
Quote:
LA:

Having a lot of experience on both, I can say that his site is significantly better, especially during the months running up to the marathon. To be critical of it now would be like criticizing a ski-resort in June.

Quote:
Frank:
I can discuss new movies with a lot more folks on Facebook and get many mor eopinions.

Yeah, that's the problem. Sometimes I agree with projectionist Dave and sometimes not, but I much prefer his expertise and print-quality report to the random rantings of some of the FB cranks.

[img]

Last January, this board was going through each of the films and posters were providing insights into their production history, cast members, and place in the genre. At the same time, FB, while well moderated,  was dominated by some guy (nameless here) who was still angry at former VP candidate Sarah Palin. Huh

Note: Topic title changed to new thread title - admin

Yea, except that I discuss films with friends and other film buffs and not cranks.  I love how folks that are my friends (people you don't even know) are labeled as cranks.  Also, I communicate with Dave through emails about the movies and print condition.  Let's hope that he does not get so ticked that he decides to stop reporting on the print condition because that would be a shame.  In the meantime, have fun, I will check in from time to time. 

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 10:04pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Quote:
Frank:
I love how folks that are my friends (people you don't even know) are labeled as cranks.

Frank: I'm genuinely sorry you have interpreted things that way. Nothing I said should lead you to that conclusion. Let's look at this logically:

The assertion:
I like this site (sf) because, unlike Facebook (fb), it doesn’t have cranks (c).

The interpretation:
“You’re saying my FB friends (f) are (the logical equivalent of) cranks (c)”

This, it will be proven, is not the same thing.
Expressed as symbolic logic:

(c E fb) & (c Ɇ sf)   ≠   (f≡c)

The relationship can be expressed in a Venn Diagram:

Since no member of this board is a crank, it follows that all members of both boards are not cranks, and thus only some members of the facebook board must count themselves among the cranky.

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #11 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 10:30pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Ok.

Hey, this messageboard isn't meant to be the be-all and end-all for people. If you want to talk to others about birds -- go to an orinthology site. Lava and other rocks? A geology site. Sure Facebook as a whole has more to chose from, but, this Messageboard is more active and fun than other sites about the Marathon.

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Jun 18th, 2012 at 2:19pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Frank... You're leaving?

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #13 - Jun 18th, 2012 at 8:31pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

R_F_Fineman wrote on Jun 13th, 2012 at 10:04pm:
Quote:
Frank:
I love how folks that are my friends (people you don't even know) are labeled as cranks.

Frank: I'm genuinely sorry you have interpreted things that way. Nothing I said should lead you to that conclusion. Let's look at this logically:

The assertion:
I like this site (sf) because, unlike Facebook (fb), it doesn’t have cranks (c).

The interpretation:
“You’re saying my FB friends (f) are (the logical equivalent of) cranks (c)”

This, it will be proven, is not the same thing.
Expressed as symbolic logic:

(c E fb) & (c Ɇ sf)   ≠   (f≡c)

The relationship can be expressed in a Venn Diagram:

[img]

Since no member of this board is a crank, it follows that all members of both boards are not cranks, and thus only some members of the facebook board must count themselves among the cranky.

Sorry. that dog won't hunt.  My comment and your response.

Quote:

Frank:
I can discuss new movies with a lot more folks on Facebook and get many more opinions.

Gee what could lead me to conclude that you are calling that folks that I converse with on Facebook cranks?  I only speak to my friends on Facebook so why go there?   

I have left the board before and have returned.  Don't worry about me I have been at this since 1978. 

IP Logged