WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

MIB3 (Read 7338 times)
May 17th, 2012 at 5:59pm

ed symkus   Offline
SF Rocks

A real breath of fresh air after that last forgettable one. I'm a big fan of the original. But, no kidding, I really can't remember anything about the sequel except that it was trying too hard to be funny. The new one gets the right mix of comedy and SF, and does a fine job at doing time travel the way it should be done. I'll have a review up soon.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - May 25th, 2012 at 1:43am

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Mrs F and I just caught it at a midnight IMAX show. Ed's right-it gets story and comedy to work in tandem, never breaking from the action for the sake of a joke.

-fun cameos...check.
-homages to celebrities from the 60's...check.
-explains an otherwise inexplicable event from the past
(in the original it was the world's fair in Queens. In this one, you have to see it!)...check.
- good fit for the thon...check.

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #2 - May 25th, 2012 at 3:08pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

R_F_Fineman wrote on May 25th, 2012 at 1:43am:
Mrs F and I just caught it at a midnight IMAX show. Ed's right-it gets story and comedy to work in tandem, never breaking from the action for the sake of a joke.

-fun cameos...check.
-homages to celebrities from the 60's...check.
-explains an otherwise inexplicable event from the past
(in the original it was the world's fair in Queens. In this one, you have to see it!)...check.
- good fit for the thon...check.

Good lord keep the hellish thing far far away from the thon.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #3 - May 25th, 2012 at 7:39pm

Hazelmutt   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

Frank, did you see it?

IP Logged

Reply #4 - May 25th, 2012 at 10:28pm

ed symkus   Offline
SF Rocks

No answer from Frank ... Hmmmm.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - May 26th, 2012 at 7:27am

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Most of the IMDB reviews are good, but here's one of the most disturbing rants I've read anywhere! (and I always read this board! Wink). At first I thought it was silly and amusing starting with:
Quote:
Drunk Talk, 26 May 2012
* star of 10
Hello fellow film viewing friends, I have yet to see this movie, however, I am aware of the potential, excessive lack of creativity, directing, acting, cinematography, film scoring, special effects, and the overall absence of necessary components...American republic which lacks any sense of intellectuality*...

Come on out Sarah Palin...We know it's you! Wink

Then it got so ugly that it was scary: so much so that I will quote no further here.
http://www.imdb.com/user/ur24199646/comments

Shouldn't the IMDB be censoring this sort of rant? Seriously!

*A made up word?

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #6 - May 26th, 2012 at 6:21pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

ed symkus wrote on May 25th, 2012 at 10:28pm:
No answer from Frank ... Hmmmm.

Who needs to see it?  Saw 1 (meh) and caught 2 on cable (triple meh). Not a fan of Smith and most of his stuff at all.  TLJ is hit or miss and in MIB he is a BIG Miss and the whole 2 cool for school hipster attitude thing just leaves me cold.  Why, then, pray tell would I waste good money on stuff that I think is crappola.  I don't need to see Battleship either to know that I won't like it.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #7 - May 28th, 2012 at 1:46pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I won't damn the movie since I haven't seen it. But, even the good reviews are fairly mediocre. The one thing even it's admirers are saying is that the film's checkered history of production makes it's plot kind of haphazard.

(This article does a pretty good job on dissecting how it was made. And, check out Will Smith's motor home! : http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollywood-prospectus/post/_/id/50099/men-in-black-...)

The first MIB was a fun flick. Nothing more. I saw it twice (including it's Marathon screening (SF/23)). Even back then I felt that half-thru the movie it sort of ran out of plot. Pleasant, but hardly a great SF film. I didn't bother seeing the second MIB since the reviews were even worse than Part Trois. I might catch this on Satellite, or if it shows up as a 6am 'wake up' movie at the 'thon....

IP Logged