WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
THE AVENGERS (Read 16970 times)
Reply #15 - Jun 3rd, 2012 at 9:54am

Metaluna   Offline

When is Prometheus opening in Boston? Where are all the cool people going to see it?

"MAKE ME A SERGEANT, CHARGE THE BOOZE!"
IP Logged

Reply #16 - Jun 3rd, 2012 at 2:36pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

(a) Friday

(b) I'm thinking Jordan's Furniture, although the premium screens at Boston Common & Fenway will likely be nice.  Arlington Capitol (where it will likely bump Men in Black 3 from the main screen) if I want a less-expensive viewing, as the Capitol's evening price for 3D movies is cheaper than the megaplexes' matinees and the quality on screen #1 is quite competitive.

IP Logged

Reply #17 - Jun 3rd, 2012 at 5:43pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

r. f. just said i was cool and i will be watching it in 3d in worcester showcase north on monday. it will only cost me 2 bucks!
*plus free popcorn and soda. hah

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #18 - Jun 14th, 2012 at 7:32pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Finally catching up with this, I was reminded of those all-star 'Monster Rally' movies of yore like HOUSE OF FRANKENSTEIN/DRACULA, ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN, DESTROY ALL MONSTERS/PLANETS etc.. Younger generation folks got a warm-up with the FANTASTIC FOUR & X-MEN films. One lesson learned is that more isn't necessarily better. Of course, it DOES appeal to the 12yr old in all of us who just want to see MORE things blow up BIGGER! Another example of bowing at the altar of Cool.

Certainly, THE AVENGERS is a decent film. It has fine effects, a solid cast and some witty writing. But, the result is also not equal to the sum of its parts. Too scattered, too un-focused and too lacking in drama to be anywhere near "the best superhero film ever made" as many have hailed it. IRON MAN, SUPERMAN, THE DARK KNIGHT and SPIDER-MAN II come readily to mind that are all demonstrably superior.

THE AVENGERS starts off slowly with the old Seven Samurai gambit of roping together a gang to fight a common enemy. Worse, the roper, Nick Fury, is played by Samuel L. Jackson in his sleepy STAR WARS prequels 'earnest' mode. Jackson is too fiery an actor to be bottled up with sincerity (he does perk up a bit in the latter scenes). Even with a generous 142 minute run-time, we still only get a cursory backstory for the characters and their early scenes together don't gell. Robert Downey Jr.'s Iron Man and Mark Ruffalo's Dr.Banner come off best. Then again, they are a couple of the better actors out there now. Ruffalo's Banner is about the best I've seen. However, The Hulk still comes off looking like a cartoon character. Going back to Ang Lee's HULK, CGI still has issues trying to depict the creature - maybe, it's the bulbous green skin?

It takes too long for the thin story to get going and all the colorful self-hip dialogue and splashy effects only go so far. The hoary putting supporting characters into Zombie-like trances thing (only to snap outta it "just in time") is something younger Marathoners laugh at during screenings of 40s Serials or 50s B movies. Of course, THE AVENGERS has modern production values and a hip cool attitude, so it's ok, here. Right. And, the all-powerful energy source cube that if it falls in the wrong hands the world will be imperiled? Innovative.

Yes, it's a comic book, so nobody expects incisive plotting, but a bit more humanity would have helped. (and that human element is what makes the quartet of films mentioned earlier far superior) More problematic to me was using Thor and Loki (Hiddleston does wonders with the cliched role) as the central plot points. The mix of Mythology and High Technology was uneasy at best, downright silly at worst. All the "I'm a God" stuff never fits in well. Sure, Loki uses Aliens as his army, but they are a undistinguished band of metallic Transformers wannabees which look like rejects from Michael Bay's drafting table.

It was good to see folks like Harry Dean Stanton, Jenny Agutter and Director Jerzy Skolominski getting nice supporting bits. Clark Gregg's Coulson is one of the few characters in the film with a heart, and not just quips and CGI action chops. In the inevitable sequels, it would be nice to emphasize the former attribute over the two others.
« Last Edit: Jun 17th, 2012 at 7:06pm by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #19 - Jun 17th, 2012 at 5:32pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Jay Seaver wrote on May 29th, 2012 at 10:46am:
Well, I think that one of the things that makes THE AVENGERS fairly remarkable is that it's an action-adventure ensemble piece, with most of the main characters learning how to function as a team - Stark and Thor must learn to trust other people, Rogers and Banner themselves.  None take the lion's share of the plot, and the closest thing to a speech that sums a character's journey up is "I'm always angry", but that's skill; the audience feels all of this happening amidst the action even if it's not totally laid out.

Just because it's an ensemble, doesn't in and of itself make it "remarkable". And, it isn't all that unusual even in the superhero subgenre as witnessed by the trio of FANTASTIC FOUR films and the X-MEN franchise. If they worked remarkably well together, now that would have been something.

I just don't agree that the film doesn't do a good job of putting the team together. Besides, the sleepy Samuel Jackson's Nick Fury as the nominal ring-leader, there are precious few scenes of The Avengers actually coming together as a unit. There's the laughably strained "bickering" sequence, and that chaotic battle sequence at the end, but you never feel them congeal as a unified force. That the film works at all is a tribute to the skill of some of the acting and writing of individual parts, not the ensemble.

Maybe, in the inevitable sequel(s)................

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2