WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
THE AVENGERS (Read 17043 times)
Apr 26th, 2012 at 9:24pm

ed symkus   Offline
SF Rocks

Saw it. DUG IT!!! More later.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Apr 28th, 2012 at 10:22am

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

"The Avengers"... What's it about?

Quote:
Jack Lipnick: It's supposed to be about big men! In tights! Both physically and mentally! -"Barton Fink"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101410/quotes?qt=qt0983366

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Apr 29th, 2012 at 10:37pm

ed symkus   Offline
SF Rocks

Review to be posted in a few days. Tight-lipped till then (except that it was so freakin' cool!).

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Apr 30th, 2012 at 10:58am

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

ed symkus wrote on Apr 29th, 2012 at 10:37pm:
Review to be posted in a few days. Tight-lipped till then (except that it was so freakin' cool!).

Rut, ro. That's what I was afraid of. I'm sure it tries achingly hard to be "freakin' cool!" - but, it is any GOOD?

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Apr 30th, 2012 at 3:23pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

ed symkus wrote on Apr 29th, 2012 at 10:37pm:

was there a teaser after the credits. will spider man and the avengers merge? there was a spiderman issue wherin spidey tried to join the avengers. it was a classic.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #5 - May 7th, 2012 at 11:58pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

i missed the beginning but did like it alot. it pissed me off that they only used cnn and msnbc for cuts to news broadcasts. what about fox??

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #6 - May 9th, 2012 at 7:18am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

kirok wrote on May 7th, 2012 at 11:58pm:
i missed the beginning but did like it alot. it pissed me off that they only used cnn and msnbc for cuts to news broadcasts. what about fox??

Glad you liked it.......... It is my understanding that the studio did use Fox in the original cut but it tested poorly with the audience.  It appears that the inclusion of Fox as a credible news source was the tipping point in the audience's willing suspension of disbelief.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #7 - May 9th, 2012 at 10:11am

kirok   Offline
God Member

the real wtf moment of the avengers was..
spoiler
spoiler
spoiler  spoiler    spoiler     spoiler

iron man takes a nuke intended for nyc and flys it through a stargate to destroy the alien mothership. why on earth would the u.s. military not see and perhaps try that option. a squadron of our jets could do the same thing. especially before deciding to exercise the option of DESTROYING NEW YORK CITY???
i know the knee jerk reaction of some of you will be "jets don't fly in outer space" my responce is "neither do the jets on ironman's suit!! nor the nuclear cruise missile!!"

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #8 - May 9th, 2012 at 11:13pm

Caleb451   Offline
NYC

kirok wrote on May 7th, 2012 at 11:58pm:

You're right, Fox News certainly belongs in a comic book fantasy. Good catch.

Dinner break? What's a dinner break?
IP Logged

Reply #9 - May 11th, 2012 at 3:45pm

Dinsdale   Offline
SF Rocks

Saw it the other night, really well done. Hats off to Josh Whedon! Great insights into the characters, lots of action, humor and great cinematography. A must see for the Marvel fan! Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #10 - May 28th, 2012 at 7:22pm

Dragonator   Offline
YaBB Newbies
"They're made out of meat!"

Sorry folks, I did not like this movie.   Admittedly it was a good movie since it delivered plenty of action for a summer movie, but the story was lacking a hero's perspective and it was way too long (based on the lack of a solid story).   I find it odd that plenty of friends have called this a "great" movie, but have acknowledged the same problems with the story as I have.   Quite frankly the story was quite dispassionate (except for Captain America's role) and was lacking a real hero you could root for which made the fight sequences meaningless to the audience.  

If you could tell me who the main character/hero of THE AVENGERS was, maybe I would like it a bit better.

IP Logged

Reply #11 - May 29th, 2012 at 10:46am

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

Well, I think that one of the things that makes THE AVENGERS fairly remarkable is that it's an action-adventure ensemble piece, with most of the main characters learning how to function as a team - Stark and Thor must learn to trust other people, Rogers and Banner themselves.  None take the lion's share of the plot, and the closest thing to a speech that sums a character's journey up is "I'm always angry", but that's skill; the audience feels all of this happening amidst the action even if it's not totally laid out.

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Jun 1st, 2012 at 5:32am

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #13 - Jun 1st, 2012 at 4:59pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

did you not see my spoiler alert?

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #14 - Jun 2nd, 2012 at 8:39am

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Quote:
Kirok:
did you not see my spoiler alert?

No, you're cool and so is Ridley Scott. It's the rest of the internet that's really sucking at not giving away details. I was crushed reading about his upcoming "Prometheus". A pre-review article commented that Ridley Scott was being mum on the story, but before I could shield my eyes, they went on to give a MAJOR end of story detail away! Shocked

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2