WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
PLANET OF THE APES timelines, remakes etc (Read 33034 times)
Apr 14th, 2012 at 10:50am

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Place PLANET OF THE APES talk here.............

Here's a recap of what has been discussed prior:

kirok wrote on Apr 8th, 2012 at 9:06pm:
i got the rise of the apes dvd and something occurred to me. taylor and his crew have got to get their butts into the future pronto. because when taylor gets to the planet of the apes he has to be suprised not only by the planet of apes but by the fact that the planet of the apes is the earth. in other words taylor must have no clue as to the events that took place in the rise of the apes. i do recall some brief flash on a news show about some mission to mars. how will a mission to mars become a shipwreck on earth in a.d. 5000? wormholes? alien technology on mars? suspended animation malfunction? i'll see what i can deighn from the dvd.

Metaluna wrote on Apr 9th, 2012 at 3:16pm:
i got the rise of the apes dvd and something occurred to me. taylor and his crew have got to get their butts into the future pronto. because when taylor gets to the planet of the apes he has to be suprised not only by the planet of apes but by the fact that the planet of the apes is the earth. in other words taylor must have no clue as to the events that took place in the rise of the apes. i do recall some brief flash on a news show about some mission to mars. how will a mission to mars become a shipwreck on earth in a.d. 5000? wormholes? alien technology on mars? suspended animation malfunction? i'll see what i can deighn from the dvd.

Wasn't there a shot of a kid delivering newspapers that had the headline "LOST IN SPACE!"? I don't think they went into specifics but it was implied that contact was lost before the great uprising.

L.A. Connection wrote on Apr 9th, 2012 at 6:22pm:
The RISE timeline is different from the original APES timeline. Of course, even the original series branched off as the sequels progressed. RISE is closest to CONQUEST from the original series (the 4th in that quintet).

kirok wrote on Apr 9th, 2012 at 10:26pm:
Metaluna wrote on Apr 9th, 2012 at 3:16pm:

Wasn't there a shot of a kid delivering newspapers that had the headline "LOST IN SPACE!"? I don't think they went into specifics but it was implied that contact was lost before the great uprising.

there was a newspaper headline and i think there was a flash of a tv news story about a Mars mission. don't quote me on this.

kirok wrote on Apr 10th, 2012 at 8:08pm:
Metaluna wrote on Apr 10th, 2012 at 5:59pm:
there was a newspaper headline and i think there was a flash of a tv news story about a Mars mission. don't quote me on this.

i SAID don't
me on this!

kirok wrote on Apr 11th, 2012 at 11:47am:
kirok wrote on Apr 10th, 2012 at 8:08pm:
Metaluna wrote on Apr 10th, 2012 at 5:59pm:

i SAID don't
me on this!

and furthermore metaluna...you can go to
HELL!

after researhing the dvd and special features, there were 2 references to the Mars mission. during a scene in the ape jail, the tv was on and briefly showed a shuttle launch. the caption says "Icarus entering Mars atmosphere". Icarus was the name of taylor's ship in the original ape movie. the announcer said something about water being discovered on mars and inferrred that Mars once supported life. later a newspaper was thrown on the total hemmorhoid neighbor's front lawn. the headline was "LOST IN SPACE ?". it appeared above an old photo of mission control in Houston. My question is: why would mission control's main viewing screen display a map of the earth. they are not tracking a satellite! it's an interplanetary mission. would it kill the special effects department of an almost entirely cgi film to photoshop an image of the solar system?!!? please don't follow up with some lame excuse like "maybe nasa was trying to save money at the time"

Metaluna wrote on Apr 12th, 2012 at 11:24am:
HELL!

No, YOU go to Hell!

Quote:
later a newspaper was thrown on the total hemmorhoid neighbor's front lawn. the headline was "LOST IN SPACE ?". it appeared above an old photo of mission control in Houston. My question is: why would mission control's main viewing screen display a map of the earth.

A technician was doing online shopping during work hours and he just threw something up on the screen to look busy when he got caught. Unfortunately he fell victim to the virus before he ever got his package of che@p vi@gr@.

kirok wrote on Apr 12th, 2012 at 10:37pm:
HELL!

No, YOU go to Hell!

Quote:
later a newspaper was thrown on the total hemmorhoid neighbor's front lawn. the headline was "LOST IN SPACE ?". it appeared above an old photo of mission control in Houston. My question is: why would mission control's main viewing screen display a map of the earth.

A technician was doing online shopping during work hours and he just threw something up on the screen to look busy when he got caught. Unfortunately he fell victim to the virus before he ever got his package of che@p vi@gr@.

(smoke coming out of my ears) GAHHHHH! It's the MAIN veiwing screen. that means it's a big screen in front of everybody at mission control. nobody could use it to surf the web. it had a map of the earth's surface which is useless for a mars mission!
the real question is how will taylor and the icarus go from mars to earth and leap forward in time 5000 years.

Frank wrote on Apr 12th, 2012 at 10:48pm:
HELL!

No, YOU go to Hell!

Quote:

(smoke coming out of my ears) GAHHHHH! It's the MAIN veiwing screen. that means it's a big screen in front of everybody at mission control. nobody could use it to surf the web. it had a map of the earth's surface which is useless for a mars mission!
the real question is how will taylor and the icarus go from mars to earth and leap forward in time 5000 years.

Based on the ape brain boost with dozens maybe hundreds of smart apes and the spread of the human killing virus, it may take a whole lot less than 5000 years for things to change in this series. 

kirok wrote on Apr 13th, 2012 at 8:08am:
Frank wrote on Apr 12th, 2012 at 10:48pm:
HELL!

No, YOU go to Hell!

Quote:

Based on the ape brain boost with dozens maybe hundreds of smart apes and the spread of the human killing virus, it may take a whole lot less than 5000 years for things to change in this series. 

the apes have to develop speech and build a rudimentary civilization. they simply must develop their class society which is a parody of human class society. i can't imagine an encounter between taylor and the apes without there being ape reverence to a legendary "lawgiver". the central irony of pota requires that taylor must have no idea he is on earth until he sees the sol. he starts the movie as a misanthrope. he fights against the ape institutions to validate his own humanity. in the end he sees that mankind has destroyed itself. "you finally made a monkey out of meeeee"
will there be a "battle for the planet of the apes" or will they just go direct to a "planet of the apes". the suits in hollywood have to figure that one out. oh God.

Frank wrote on Apr 13th, 2012 at 9:33am:
I sincerely hope that they DO NOT follow the original movies as they are all a bit heavy-handed in preachiness....      

L.A. Connection wrote on Apr 13th, 2012 at 8:21pm:
[img]

kirok wrote on Apr 13th, 2012 at 11:23pm:
putting "escape from the planet of the apes" into the new timeline is now thoroughly implausible. it would be redundant to have the apes of the future return to earth and precipitate an ape revolt. the ape revolt has already taken place.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Apr 14th, 2012 at 2:13pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

The thread of the apes

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Apr 14th, 2012 at 6:07pm

Metaluna   Offline

Someone's been monkeying with our thread.

"MAKE ME A SERGEANT, CHARGE THE BOOZE!"
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Apr 14th, 2012 at 6:42pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

Metaluna wrote on Apr 14th, 2012 at 6:07pm:

yes. and it's gibbon me the creeps.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Apr 14th, 2012 at 7:21pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Apr 14th, 2012 at 7:42pm

Metaluna   Offline

kirok wrote on Apr 14th, 2012 at 6:42pm:

It's driving me bananas.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Apr 14th, 2012 at 7:48pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

Metaluna wrote on Apr 14th, 2012 at 7:42pm:

It's driving me bananas.

you'll need better puns than that if you want to rhesusitate this thread.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #7 - Apr 14th, 2012 at 8:33pm

Metaluna   Offline

kirok wrote on Apr 14th, 2012 at 7:48pm:

It's driving me bananas.

I think it has appeal.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Apr 14th, 2012 at 9:05pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

Metaluna wrote on Apr 14th, 2012 at 8:33pm:
kirok wrote on Apr 14th, 2012 at 7:48pm:

It's driving me bananas.

I think it has appeal.

I can do better than that and I'm just chimprovising.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #9 - Apr 14th, 2012 at 9:09pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

This thread ambush is clearly an act of Gorilla Warfare!

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #10 - Apr 14th, 2012 at 9:36pm

Metaluna   Offline

You should simian top form.

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Apr 14th, 2012 at 9:56pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

yes fineman. i'm part of a guerilla pun army. you should come mandrill with us sometime.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #12 - Apr 15th, 2012 at 11:45am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

« Last Edit: Apr 15th, 2012 at 1:39pm by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #13 - Apr 15th, 2012 at 8:26pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

would yee like to.... resize that.....laddy?

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #14 - Apr 15th, 2012 at 9:23pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

kirok wrote on Apr 15th, 2012 at 8:26pm:
would yee like to.... resize that.....laddy?

Can't get it to resize. But, here's the link to the site:

http://corneliuswasright.wordpress.com/2011/04/13/escape-from-the-planet-of-the-...

there are also timelines incorporating stuff like the TV series and even the Marky Mark/Tim Burton atrocity:

http://io9.com/5827029/planet-of-the-apes-a-timeline-and-explanation
« Last Edit: Apr 15th, 2012 at 11:20pm by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2