WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16
Marathon Memorabilia: Bunnyman Files (Read 215603 times)
Reply #60 - Feb 4th, 2013 at 12:52am

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Nice memories.

Wait! Are you saying you won't be at this years Marathon?????????

Planeta Bur wrote on Feb 4th, 2013 at 12:33am:
Wow, seeing those schedules for SF3 - SF10 really brought back some wonderful memories - thanks for posting! I attended every year from '78 to '92, and had saved all my ticket stubs & schedules, but managed to lose them somewhere along the line.

Some recollections from a Cinema 1 regular...

THE MONOLITH MONSTERS - when one of the protaganists was pondering the mysterious rock found at a disaster scene, somebody sitting a few rows behind me got a big laugh by exclaiming "Don't take it for granite!"

FUTUREWORLD - At some point during the movie, Peter Fonda declares "I smell a giant rat!" This struck the audience as hilarious, only because FOOD OF THE GODS had screened a few hours earlier (maybe you had to be there for that one).

GODZILLA - I was really excited to be seeing the original Japanese cut, which was virtually impossible to see in the U.S. in those days. After the main titles, I was briefly worried when a dozen or so audience members insisted on reading out the first two or three subtitled lines aloud and in unison! Yes, it was funny, but I really hoped it wouldn't continue (happily, it didn't).

THEY CAME FROM WITHIN - I somehow managed to sleep through it entirely, and was oblivious to the audience rebellion & mass walk-outs. I must have been really tired!

kirok wrote on Jan 27th, 2013 at 4:50pm:
...someone brought in a "
MARK
" projector.

This might have been me. One year I was stricken with the inspiration to carve a stencil reading "MARK" into the lid of a discarded doughnut box I found on the floor, then held it up in the projector beam during the closing credits of one of the films. I remember worrying it might have come across as obnoxious, so it was a relief when the audience just laughed.

I have a hunch REPTILICUS will go over like gangbusters at SF38, and not just because it features a character named General MARK Grayson...wish I could be there for that one!

IP Logged

Reply #61 - Feb 4th, 2013 at 11:38am

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

The SF11 announcement.
Knowing we could survive a 36 hour marathon the mad scientists running the marathon decide to try another experiment on us. Keeping 2 films secret at SF10 had been fun. BUT, could we survive not knowing ANY of the titles until the day of the event? Little did the Starship Welles know, a surprise was planned for them by certain red (planet) fanatics.

Y'know, I still see an occasional original Orson Welles sci-fi marathon shirt but I don't think I have ever seen the one advertised in this ad.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #62 - Feb 4th, 2013 at 11:53am

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

A list of what showed at SF1-10 that was handed out at SF11.
There are a couple of interesting omissions though. SF3 does not list either They Came From Within or its replacement Night of The Living Dead. And at SF10 the 2 secret films were Star Wars (which Lucasfilms made us swear to TELL everyone they lent it to us) is listed, but 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea (the Disney version that Disney made us swear NOT to tell anyone about) is not. A secret code next to Star Wars on the list CAN be deciphered to reveal the title.

Futuropolis is a title often forgotten in marathon lists. Too long for a short, too short for a feature. A Flash Gordon spoof with live action, animation and literally cardboard sets.
I've been trying to track down a copy for years now.

IP Logged

Reply #63 - Feb 4th, 2013 at 3:50pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Another request list of films for future marathons including ones from past marathons that might bear repeating.
It's noted that these are films they have tried to find or could easily find.

IP Logged

Reply #64 - Feb 4th, 2013 at 4:02pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Remember the test given in Blade Runner to find out if someone was a replicant? Betcha didn't know there was a written version.
A lot of questions still apply as to what we'd want from future marathons and I don't think we've done most of the themes yet.
And if nothing else have a chuckle at the archaic questions about VCR's and cable TV.
« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2013 at 9:29pm by da_Bunnyman »  

IP Logged

Reply #65 - Feb 4th, 2013 at 4:19pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

At last, what we were actually going to see at SF11 "Haley's Comet Edition" (the comet did not attend.)
As usual an early sellout even without knowing what was going to show.
Quite a eclectic lineup, Conquest of Space and Red Planet Mars are really preachy. World of Tomorrow was kind of slow for a lot of folks, Lifeforce was a trip and a half. Not mentioned was a surprise repeat showing of The Day Mars Invaded Earth, which led directly to "the incident".

See the writeup for more details on this.
« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2013 at 9:31pm by da_Bunnyman »  

IP Logged

Reply #66 - Feb 4th, 2013 at 4:32pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Thanks to Dan Kimmel the MLO's disruption could not be swept under the Starship Welles' heat shield and forgotten.

IP Logged

Reply #67 - Feb 4th, 2013 at 5:02pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Authentic hand crafted MLO propaganda leaflets.
We were warned, well sort of.

IP Logged

Reply #68 - Feb 4th, 2013 at 10:00pm

zzzzkitty   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

Great memorabilia! I want to hear more stories... I'm a newbie - this will be my first year attending. Film festivals are the focus of my dissertation, and the 'Thon is unique!  I would love to talk with some of you knowing long-time attendees during the festival. zzzkitty

IP Logged

Reply #69 - Feb 4th, 2013 at 11:47pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

da_Bunnyman wrote on Feb 4th, 2013 at 11:53am:
[img]
Futuropolis is a title often forgotten in marathon lists. Too long for a short, too short for a feature. A Flash Gordon spoof with live action, animation and literally cardboard sets.I've been trying to track down a copy for years now.

FUTUROPOLIS
is
listed on the "marathon list(s)" of record (and has been for years): http://sf.theboard.net/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1319772249/0#0

I has not been forgotten......

IP Logged

Reply #70 - Feb 5th, 2013 at 7:31am

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Feb 4th, 2013 at 11:47pm:
da_Bunnyman wrote on Feb 4th, 2013 at 11:53am:
[img] is [/size]listed on the "marathon list(s)" of record (and has been for years): http://sf.theboard.net/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1319772249/0#0

I has not been forgotten......

I was talking more of the past lists when it had been left off due to it's odd length.
Plus of course it gave me a chance to mention I was looking for a copy of it.  Wink

IP Logged

Reply #71 - Feb 5th, 2013 at 8:11am

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

My tickets from SF10 and Sf11 and the buttons from them.
I'm not sure when I got the MLO button and the "It Came From The Orson Welles" button.

IP Logged

Reply #72 - Feb 5th, 2013 at 8:29am

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

The last ad from The Orson Welles Cinema as they say goodbye and promise to be back. Almost everyone was sure they would return and rumors of them moving to a bigger place or even re-building at the current locations were active for years.
But it didn't happen. Worst yet as I think back, because of those rumors the Welles was not really mourned or missed as much as it should have been.
While the sci-fi marathon was just a small part of their programming, it was the part I'd miss the most.

IP Logged

Reply #73 - Feb 5th, 2013 at 5:36pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Perhaps, the most memorable part of the SF/11 was showing the full FLYING DISC MAN FROM MARS serial. It's a doozy. One of the cliches that popped up time and again was when the bad guys would get the drop on the good guys and warn them, "No Tricks!" Of course, that was an open invitation to start a fight! This lead to the second memorable bit from FLYING DISC MAN - The audience simulating the sound of a punch with a loud "Clap" for each body blow. Occasionally, some 25+ years later you will still hear a "No Tricks!" or a few "Claps" when appropriate.

QUIET EARTH - It returned to the Marathon just a couple of years ago. Back that year, it was a little seen film that was pretty well recieved after the asinine "shhhh"'s of the yahoos in the crowd died down. You see, the movie is called "the QUIET earth" so every noise someone made on screen got shushed - no, it wasn't funny then (nor was it funny when a few jamokes repeated the lame "shh!" a couple of years ago).

LIFEFORCE may still have the record for amount of nudity in a Marathon film! As one long-time Marathoner told me, "The movie sucks, but it's the best Nude performance ever!"

JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH was the last film shown in Cinema one at the last marathon ever held at the Welles (Cinema 2 & 3??)

da_Bunnyman wrote on Feb 4th, 2013 at 4:19pm:
[img]

At last, what we were actually going to see at SF11 "Haley's Comet Edition" (the comet did not attend.)
As usual an early sellout even without knowing what was going to show.
Quite a eclectic lineup, Conquest of Space and Red Planet Mars are really preachy. World of Tomorrow was kind of slow for a lot of folks, Lifeforce was a trip and a half. Not mentioned was a surprise repeat showing of The Day Mars Invaded Earth, which led directly to "the incident".

See the writeup for more details on this.

IP Logged

Reply #74 - Feb 5th, 2013 at 7:48pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

11 was my first 24 hour marathon. before that i only did the night flight. journey to the center of the earth was a total laugh fest and the final scenes were simply hilarious. it was my first experience with marathon final movie euphoria.
the shh snark was very funny, especially when someone yelled "it's getting old" and was resoundingly shhhushhed.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16