WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16
Marathon Memorabilia: Bunnyman Files (Read 213412 times)
Reply #45 - Jan 27th, 2013 at 6:27pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Kirok:
mark...
LA:
mark...
Kirok:
..."MARK"...
LA:...return "Mark!" engagement??

I say bring back Colonel Shikishima. After he "Rrrrrrr"ed his way through "Akira" at SF 16 the growl got attached to every militaristic character on the screen culminating in:

"Looks like you picked the wrong rec room!" -Michael Gross in "Tremors"

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #46 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 9:50pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

David the Projectionist wrote on Jan 27th, 2013 at 3:29pm:
da_Bunnyman wrote on Jan 26th, 2013 at 7:00pm:
Really shows the Welles crew will go the extra mile for us.

Whell!...........thanks!  Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry

I mean, you do realize they had four or more operators running those shows back then, right?  Whereas here at the Somerville, I'm flying solo?  And theres no one around to replace me, as my craft is literally dying in front of us?
     But I'll make a note to remember not to go the extra mile for you.......real soon.

Now now Dave, I'm taking things as they happen in this memorabilia history. Only projectionist I ever met at the Welles was Hal "Captain Xenon" Wagner who had a very strict definition of science fiction when I brought some trailers for SF10.
When we change theaters your work on some of the constantly changing formats will be mentioned.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #47 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 10:07pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

OMG!
Wait this was before the internet so it was more like OH MY GOD!!
36 frigging hours of Sci-fi movies!
YES!!!!!!!

I don't think anything ever came from the Frequent Flyer Bonus Plan.
And where in space was Captain Mark Markary lost?

IP Logged

Reply #48 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 10:19pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Fun. I don't ever remember the "frequent flier" discount ever coming to fruition?
But, I DO recall the fact that a lot of sandwiches got leftover and the concession stand being more threadbare the last 2 years at the Welles.
And, the Costume Contest? My memory banks are slipping....

da_Bunnyman wrote on Jan 31st, 2013 at 10:07pm:
[img]

OMG!
Wait this was before the internet so it was more like OH MY GOD!!
36 frigging hours of Sci-fi movies!
YES!!!!!!!

IP Logged

Reply #49 - Feb 1st, 2013 at 6:42pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

The SF10 movie program/schedule. For the first time it's an actual booklet, and I'm in it. At the time I was working for the big cinema company in Boston (can't remember what they were calling themselves at the time.) But I had amassed a huge collection of 35MM trailers thanks to some friends over at National Screen Service and lent some to the marathon. As always an early sellout and Night Flight was still 12 hours. A pretty great mix of classics along with a big recent film and an obscure one.

IP Logged

Reply #50 - Feb 1st, 2013 at 7:08pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

My SF10 survivors passport, with all the proper stamps this entitled you to join in the champagne toast at the end. We started 12AM Saturday and ended Monday at noon. It was a freezing cold night to start off and at that time you had to get there very early to get a good seat. To this day I swear there was someone with a full size bed set up at the front of the line.

IP Logged

Reply #51 - Feb 1st, 2013 at 10:56pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Youll notice theres a list of five projectionists needed to run those shows!
     Herb Nipson is still around, working at Emerson.
     Fred Robbins passed away a long, long time ago.  Strange dude, but thats nothing unusual in this craft.
     Have no idea whatever happened to Ena Urbach; havent heard a word about her in forever.
     Wen-Ti is still around, but retired many years ago.
     Hal Wagner fell off the face of the earth.  Boy, could I tell you a few stories about him!
     The booths at the Welles were a fairly easy, straight-forward gig.  Centurys in 1, E7s in 2, & Supers in the basement in 3, as I recall.  Mono in all houses.  Limited number of aspect ratios, four at most.  A far cry from what I have to deal with!

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #52 - Feb 2nd, 2013 at 2:41am

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Yes, it is weird whatever happened to chief Welles projectionish Hal Wagner. He continued to attend the Marathon for several years at the Somerville and then the Coolidge. I know that Major Tom has tried to stay in touch, but, he seems to have disappeared.

So, did we indeed have a costume contest at SF/10????

One last thing about the THIRTY-SIX HOUR marathon - Never Again!

IP Logged

Reply #53 - Feb 2nd, 2013 at 8:51am

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Feb 2nd, 2013 at 2:41am:
Yes, it is weird whatever happened to chief Welles projectionish Hal Wagner. He continued to attend the Marathon for several years at the Somerville and then the Coolidge. I know that Major Tom has tried to stay in touch, but, he seems to have disappeared.

So, did we indeed have a costume contest at SF/10????

Yes there was a costume contest. I remember a few bleary eyed souls being voted on in Cinema 1.

As to another 36 hour marathon, well we missed the most obvious one at SF36 so I guess you're safe.
On the other hand, what a concept for SF40, we go beyond 36!

IP Logged

Reply #54 - Feb 2nd, 2013 at 9:02am

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

A list of EVERY sci-fi movie the Welles staff could find. What did we want to see at future marathons. It would be interesting to see what kind of results they got.

IP Logged

Reply #55 - Feb 2nd, 2013 at 5:34pm

Dinsdale   Offline
SF Rocks

One last thing about the THIRTY-SIX HOUR marathon - Never Again! [/quote]

I second that! It was brutal!!

IP Logged

Reply #56 - Feb 2nd, 2013 at 6:37pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Agreed. 24 hours is just right.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #57 - Feb 2nd, 2013 at 6:37pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Dinsdale wrote on Feb 2nd, 2013 at 5:34pm:

I second that! It was brutal!! [/quote]

Yep I agree, 36 hours, never again.
Now let's talk about 40 hours for SF40.
(Hey I just got out of the hospital, blame it on medication.)

IP Logged

Reply #58 - Feb 2nd, 2013 at 7:05pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

The other reward for survivors of SF10's 36 hour try out of the Ludovico technique. You received an official marathoid, humanoid, first class (unofficial) title certificate.
Works for me.

There was someone making a college course film documentary at SF10 too. I keep hearing rumors that prints of it are still around.

IP Logged

Reply #59 - Feb 4th, 2013 at 12:33am

Planeta Bur   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

Wow, seeing those schedules for SF3 - SF10 really brought back some wonderful memories - thanks for posting! I attended every year from '78 to '92, and had saved all my ticket stubs & schedules, but managed to lose them somewhere along the line.

Some recollections from a Cinema 1 regular...

THE MONOLITH MONSTERS - when one of the protaganists was pondering the mysterious rock found at a disaster scene, somebody sitting a few rows behind me got a big laugh by exclaiming "Don't take it for granite!"

FUTUREWORLD - At some point during the movie, Peter Fonda declares "I smell a giant rat!" This struck the audience as hilarious, only because FOOD OF THE GODS had screened a few hours earlier (maybe you had to be there for that one).

GODZILLA - I was really excited to be seeing the original Japanese cut, which was virtually impossible to see in the U.S. in those days. After the main titles, I was briefly worried when a dozen or so audience members insisted on reading out the first two or three subtitled lines aloud and in unison! Yes, it was funny, but I really hoped it wouldn't continue (happily, it didn't).

THEY CAME FROM WITHIN - I somehow managed to sleep through it entirely, and was oblivious to the audience rebellion & mass walk-outs. I must have been really tired!

kirok wrote on Jan 27th, 2013 at 4:50pm:
...someone brought in a "
MARK
" projector.

This might have been me. One year I was stricken with the inspiration to carve a stencil reading "MARK" into the lid of a discarded doughnut box I found on the floor, then held it up in the projector beam during the closing credits of one of the films. I remember worrying it might have come across as obnoxious, so it was a relief when the audience just laughed.

I have a hunch REPTILICUS will go over like gangbusters at SF38, and not just because it features a character named General MARK Grayson...wish I could be there for that one!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16