WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 16
Marathon Memorabilia: Bunnyman Files (Read 213427 times)
Reply #30 - Jan 24th, 2013 at 12:27pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

The tradition of marathon buttons actually started at SF6, I bought a It Came from The Orson Welles button instead.  (anyone have an SF6 button to display here?)

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #31 - Jan 24th, 2013 at 12:54pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

SF/7 did have some funky scheduling. I was in Cinema 1, so the schedule issues were minimal. Believe it or not, there was some controversy over showing ALIEN because it was released "only" 2 1/2 years before! Back then, the Marathon was almost always a revival house program with the few "recent" movies being stuff like HU-MAN or LAST DAYS OF MAN ON EARTH which weren't exactly blockbusters like ALIEN. We also screened the underrated QUATERMASS CONCLUSION in perhaps its only U.S. theatrical showing ever as it went straight to video.

During the showings of ISLAND OF TERROR and CHILDREN OF THE DAMNED (an unsung mini-classic) some of the "hey, it's an old movie let's mock it" crowd got to be real yahoos during any suspense sequence. So, when ALIEN showed, some of us who appreciated the old stuff got back at the mockers by "giving away" when stuff was about to happen in ALIEN. Believe it or not, some of the mockers hadn't seen ALIEN (hey, it was when videotape was an infant), so they hated that. Someone shouted out, "Truce! Don't make fun of the old stuff! You don't like it now do you?!!" (or something to that effect).

Funny, we had a discussion about SLITHIS a couple of years ago. Yes, it did suck at the Marathon. But, when it showed at a Grinhouse fest here in L.A., one of our Ohio Marathoners and I attended it went over like gangbusters with the current crowd. Sometimes, nostalgia works in odd ways.

da_Bunnyman wrote on Jan 24th, 2013 at 12:11pm:
[img]

SF7 schedule on a different Orson Welles Cinema stationery. Another early sell out with Night Flight added right from the start. After getting a tease of the film we get the entire Invasion of the Bee Girls. Slithis turns out to be really dull putting everyone to sleep, that is until the actor playing the local police chief comes on screen. This guy seems to mover EVERY muscle in his face with any word he says and those watching wake up their friends to see him.

IP Logged

Reply #32 - Jan 24th, 2013 at 3:42pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Jan 24th, 2013 at 12:54pm:
SF/7 did have some funky scheduling. I was in Cinema 1, so the schedule issues were minimal. Believe it or not, there was some controversy over showing ALIEN because it was released "only" 2 1/2 years before! Back then, the Marathon was almost always a revival house program with the few "recent" movies being stuff like HU-MAN or LAST DAYS OF MAN ON EARTH which weren't exactly blockbusters like ALIEN. We also screened the underrated QUATERMASS CONCLUSION in perhaps its only U.S. theatrical showing ever as it went straight to video.

During the showings of ISLAND OF TERROR and CHILDREN OF THE DAMNED (an unsung mini-classic) some of the "hey, it's an old movie let's mock it" crowd got to be real yahoos during any suspense sequence. So, when ALIEN showed, some of us who appreciated the old stuff got back at the mockers by "giving away" when stuff was about to happen in ALIEN. Believe it or not, some of the mockers hadn't seen ALIEN (hey, it was when videotape was an infant), so they hated that. Someone shouted out, "Truce! Don't make fun of the old stuff! You don't like it now do you?!!" (or something to that effect).

Yeah, that was the reason I moved my headquarters to Cinema 2. Cinema 1 had this weird combination of making fun of the classics and not enjoying comedy. I'd still wander over to see what was coming up which is how I saw They Came From Within.

IP Logged

Reply #33 - Jan 24th, 2013 at 3:49pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Yeah, I know someone who went to the first few Marathons but said he stopped going because of the mocking that the INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN got at SF/4 in Cinema One.

I guess it just proves that it isn't just a recent phenomena where a certain portion of the crowd just thinks it's OK to razz anything that was made before they were born. Although, I would argue that it has gotten worse over the years because of home video, cable and the internets.

da_Bunnyman wrote on Jan 24th, 2013 at 3:42pm:
L.A. Connection wrote on Jan 24th, 2013 at 12:54pm:

Yeah, that was the reason I moved my headquarters to Cinema 2. Cinema 1 had this weird combination of making fun of the classics and not enjoying comedy. I'd still wander over to see what was coming up which is how I saw They Came From Within.

IP Logged

Reply #34 - Jan 26th, 2013 at 6:50pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

SF8, another early sellout. Some nice rarities being shown. Message From Space and Cyborg 2087 still have never come out on video.

IP Logged

Reply #35 - Jan 26th, 2013 at 7:00pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

SF8 movie list. The original Godzilla film in it's Japanese version with subtitles was a rare treat and the film came off more as a serious drama than a monster movie. The silent version of The Lost World with a live accompanist is something most of the crowd has never experienced before (me included.) Really shows the Welles crew will go the extra mile for us.

IP Logged

Reply #36 - Jan 26th, 2013 at 7:06pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

SF9, yep, sells out again and early. Another good lineup with some recent stuff like Outland and Star Trek TMP and Flash Gordon along with lots of classics. Planet of The Vampires makes a return appearance and the legend of "Mark" begins. Always wondered why Mull the monster from Frankenstein Meets The Space Monster was pictured on the schedule. Maybe the film was booked at one point?
« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2013 at 8:49am by da_Bunnyman »  

IP Logged

Reply #37 - Jan 26th, 2013 at 7:15pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

da_Bunnyman wrote on Jan 26th, 2013 at 6:50pm:
[img]

SF8, another early sellout. Some nice rarities being shown. Message From Space and Cyborg 2087 still have never come out on video.

Good news for MESSAGE FROM SPACE fans - it IS finally coming out on DVD in the USA in April from Shout Factory. CYBORG 2087? Who knows outside of bootlegs and an old British VHS. CYBORG was back in the days when the Welles showed 16mm prints which opened up possibilities to project on Film.

I helped find GODZILLA after reading a tiny NY Times article on a showing there. Bruce B did most of the detective work on tracking down the print. When the print arrived, someone on the staff said it looked like scotch tape had been used for splices! I laughed a few years ago when Rialto went around the country saying that its release in 2004 was "the first time ever shown in America!" The Marathon had it in
!

IP Logged

Reply #38 - Jan 26th, 2013 at 7:22pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Jan 26th, 2013 at 7:15pm:
da_Bunnyman wrote on Jan 26th, 2013 at 6:50pm:
[img]

Good news for MESSAGE FROM SPACE fans - it IS finally coming out on DVD in the USA in April from Shout Factory. CYBORG 2087? Who knows outside of bootlegs and an old British VHS. CYBORG was back in the days when the Welles showed 16mm prints which opened up possibilities to project on Film.

Shout Factory is a great company releasing a lot of rare & oddball stuff. I would not be surprised for them to offer a glowing walnut with the DVD if you order direct from them.

Cyborg 2087 had everyone walking around while they looked at their watches after it showed.

Both those comments make little sense to anyone who ain't seen the films.  Tongue

IP Logged

Reply #39 - Jan 27th, 2013 at 3:29pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

da_Bunnyman wrote on Jan 26th, 2013 at 7:00pm:
Really shows the Welles crew will go the extra mile for us.

Whell!...........thanks!  Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry

I mean, you do realize they had four or more operators running those shows back then, right?  Whereas here at the Somerville, I'm flying solo?  And theres no one around to replace me, as my craft is literally dying in front of us?
     But I'll make a note to remember not to go the extra mile for you.......real soon.

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #40 - Jan 27th, 2013 at 3:40pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Whoa, there. Da Bunnyman has been going since the first year. I don't think he was slighting the Somerville or any other venues. He was just pointing out that for many in the theater, not many had experienced a live musical performance for a silent up until that point.

P.S. Da Bunnyman isn't a sarcastic sort, either.
« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2013 at 5:25pm by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #41 - Jan 27th, 2013 at 3:45pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

L.A. Connection wrote on Jan 27th, 2013 at 3:40pm:
I don't think he was slighting the Somerville or any other venues. He was just pointing out that for many in the theater, no many had experienced a live musical performance for a silent.

Sarcasm & teasing, they do not translate well on boards.....

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #42 - Jan 27th, 2013 at 3:54pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

da_Bunnyman wrote on Jan 26th, 2013 at 7:06pm:
/SF9, yep, sells out again and early. Another good lineup with some recent stuff like Outland and Star Trek TMP and Flash Gordon along with lots of classics. Planet of The Vampires makes a return appearance and the legend of "Mark" begins. Always wondered why Mull the monster from Frankenstein Meets The Space Monster was pictured on the schedule. Maybe the film was booked at one point?

Actually, the "Mark!" cries date back to the SF/3 screening of PLANET OF THE VAMPIRES. However, the SF/9 re-appearance definately cranked up the ubiquity of the "Mark!" call-outs. It has been a staple of the Marathon ever since.

IP Logged

Reply #43 - Jan 27th, 2013 at 4:50pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

the mark shout had all but vanished until someone brought in a "
MARK
" projector. 2 or 3 marathons thereafter "planet of the vampires" was featured for a third time

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #44 - Jan 27th, 2013 at 5:02pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

kirok wrote on Jan 27th, 2013 at 4:50pm:
the mark shout had all but vanished until someone brought in a "
MARK
" projector. 2 or 3 marathons thereafter "planet of the vampires" was featured for a third time

I wouldn't say it ever "all but vanished", because PLANET was again shown at SF/10. I do think it was at 10 that the "Mark" projected image on the movie screen appeared. The "Mark!" cries have existed ever since.

It was last shown at SF/28 - time for a return "Mark!" engagement?? After all, there's a new generation of Marathon attendees who have never experience the "Mark!" count.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 16