WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 16
Marathon Memorabilia: Bunnyman Files (Read 214000 times)
Apr 13th, 2012 at 8:56pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Great Marathon (and Orson Welles) memorabilia courtesy of one of our 2 marathoners who have been to EVERY marathon! (Simon is the other)

Here's a 3D oldie that was shown at the Welles (and two other local venues - never heard of Chet's myself)........

« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2012 at 10:58pm by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Apr 23rd, 2012 at 10:47am

Jon   Offline
MA

I remember seeing these 3-D films at the Welles - early 1980s, right?  I also remember taking my young son and nephew to another set of 3-D movies at the Brattle slightly thereafter - Black Lagoon and that other film, shot on a crater rim, with Richard Carlson.  (Both youngsters are now in their 40s!)  The prints weren't great and we all got headaches for our trouble (and my money).  Still, we had fun.
Thanks for posting this ad. Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Apr 24th, 2012 at 12:32am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Jon wrote on Apr 23rd, 2012 at 10:47am:
I remember seeing these 3-D films at the Welles - early 1980s, right?  I also remember taking my young son and nephew to another set of 3-D movies at the Brattle slightly thereafter - Black Lagoon and that other film, shot on a crater rim, with Richard Carlson.  (Both youngsters are now in their 40s!)  The prints weren't great and we all got headaches for our trouble (and my money).  Still, we had fun.
Thanks for posting this ad. Smiley

That would have been It Came From Outer Space.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Apr 24th, 2012 at 3:05pm

Jon   Offline
MA

[/quote]
That would have been It Came From Outer Space. [/quote]

Yes.  Yes, it would have been.  In fact, it was. It did (come from outer space...). I knew someone would get that.  Thanks, again! Wink

I remember so many things - so poorly, and yet so vividly.... Cheesy

I had occasion to see a demo of 3-D big-screen TV the other day.  I put on the glasses, and switched them on.  Well, what a revelation!  There was a football game on -- at least I assume it was football, because I was so intrigued by the effect of the light snow coming down in front of the action that I couldn't focus on what game it was, though retrospectively; outdoors, cold weather - it was probably football.  The juxtaposed dimensional visuals were everything for that brief bit of time.  I was lost in the snowflakes, as it were (one flake drawn to others, you might say....)

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Apr 26th, 2012 at 7:25am

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

[quote author=10721D721F333232393F283533325C0 link=1334368597/0#0 date=1334368597]Great Marathon (and Orson Welles) memorabilia courtesy of one of our 2 marathoners who have been to EVERY marathon! (Simon is the other)

Here's a 3D oldie that was shown at the Welles (and two other local venues - never heard of Chet's myself)........

Chets was actually a small bar/club above the Penalty Box bar which was across from the old Boston Garden.
I can only imagine what the Creatures appearance must have been like there.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Apr 26th, 2012 at 7:29am

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Sorry for the delay posting pics here but I am still awaiting info on exactly how to do it.

I can't post pics directly here and linking with the ones on Facebook just leaves a link showing here.

Any help please?

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Apr 26th, 2012 at 8:12am

Metaluna   Offline

You need some kind of host like Photobucket to upload your pix to. You can link from there. If you don't want to deal with setting up an account you can send me the pix and I can post them and send you the links you can use. PM me if you want to go that route.

Or you can post links to facebook as long as your album is public. It doesn't pretty up the place as nice but it gets the job done.

"MAKE ME A SERGEANT, CHARGE THE BOOZE!"
IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jan 14th, 2013 at 4:19pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

It all started here (unless you worked at the Orson Welles Cinema and knew it was coming.) A xerox of the full page ad that ran in The Boston Phoenix announcing that the Welles was playing host to a 24 hour science fiction film marathon. At the time it was going to be a one-shot deal and if you were a sci-fi fan this was a lineup of films that was hard to resist. Both cinemas sold out the day of the show and so a 12 hour mini marathon (Night Flight) starting at midnight was added in the third cinema.

Pre internet, pre VHS, pre widespread cable, heck it's even pre Presidents Day, this was back when we celebrated Washington and Lincolns birthdays separately!   
Sorry it's cut off at the top, this was copied from the Boston Public Library's microfiche file.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Jan 14th, 2013 at 4:21pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Ultra Cool!

I think we should bring back the 34 cent per film price!

Wink

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Jan 14th, 2013 at 4:32pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

The Orson Welles Cinema had a rack with handout ads for upcoming movies, reviews on current ones and mentions on festivals and film programs they were running. This is the one for the first marathon which also was used as a film schedule by attendees.

I never pass up mentioning that 'This Island Earth' is described as " one of the STARTREKIEST!"

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Jan 14th, 2013 at 4:48pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Behold the boarding pass/meal ticket to the very first sci-fi marathon. If you saw 10 of the 14 pictures shown you were entitled to a free champagne brunch at The Restaurant at The Orson Welles which was the official name for the restaurant at the Orson Welles. (Sorry, another joke I cannot resist.) The staff expected a handful to be eligible, it looked like more than half of the total crowd earned entry to the brunch. They begged and borrowed enough food for everyone.

As I recall the brunch was scrambled eggs, potatoes, a roll, and possibly sausage or bacon. Plus a glass of champagne to toast surviving. No one complained, it was too much fun and we were all too tired. Plus we all figured it was a one time experience and the staff of the Welles had been great.

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Jan 14th, 2013 at 5:09pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Another xerox from the BPL microfiche. Mainly posted so you can read the descriptions.

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Jan 14th, 2013 at 5:34pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

The actual ad on actual newsprint. I wonder how the Welles staff reacted when they found out there was going to be a second sci-fi marathon. The Day the Earth Stood Still becomes the only film to be deliberately shown 2 years in a row. This was also the first use of Gort standing on the banks of the Charles River as a marathon icon.  Hu-Man is now considered something of a lost film.

The handwritten numbers are me determining the order the films would be shown in cinemas 1 & 2.

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Jan 14th, 2013 at 5:53pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Another handout and the closest thing we had to a schedule for the early marathons. A chalkboard inside the lobby would announce the next movie in each cinema. Once again it sold out the day of the show and so Night Flight 2 was added.

Hu-Man can stay lost, way too arty for my tastes. We were treated to trailers for 2 upcoming releases Ralph Bakshi's Wizards (the War part of the title was removed before the trailer was made.) And George Lucas' Star Wars. Believe it or not Star Wars did not go over to unanimous acclaim from the crowd. Seeing the early trailer it is kind of silly in places. See for yourself here  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEDFGzqMgpI and Wizards too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcnQ7Dlk_Ks

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Jan 14th, 2013 at 6:02pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Even more people survived to get access to the brunch. I think we actually exceeded the restaurants capacity and had to wait to get in. I was starting to crash so I stayed for the champagne toast and then headed home. One thing I cannot remember, did they say there would be an SF3 then?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 16