WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 16
Marathon Memorabilia: Bunnyman Files (Read 214010 times)
Reply #165 - Mar 20th, 2013 at 10:17am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Nice article on the Coolidge

http://www.wickedlocal.com/brookline/news/x171163644/Coolidge-Coolidge-Theatre-l...
I guess we have different definitions for sterile.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #166 - Mar 20th, 2013 at 11:24am

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I wouldn't call the Coolidge 'sterile' either. It's a terrific house. Better, in fact than the 2 or 3 comparable indies in L.A..

I really enjoyed the years there with the Marathon (not to mention seeing flicks like HARD DAY'S NIGHT, MAD MAX, THE DEVILS, THE TINGLER, FORBIDDEN PLANET etc. growing up). And, truth be told, it's a better house physically than the Orson Welles ever was. The Welles was legendary, and deservedly so, for its programming and cultural impact, but the Coolidge was a better house to see a movie on a technical level.

All that being said, what David, Ian and the Somerville have done with the projection and sound system seems superior to the Coolidge. Unless the Coolidge has gone to 4K, it doesn't take the nod even with digital capabilities. Plus, still having an intact balcony tips the scales as far as a large communal Marathon experience.

Both are fine houses, so one doesn't have to criticize one in order to praise the other.

IP Logged

Reply #167 - Mar 20th, 2013 at 11:50am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

L.A. Connection wrote on Mar 20th, 2013 at 11:24am:
I wouldn't call the Coolidge 'sterile' either. It's a terrific house. Better, in fact than the 2 or 3 comparable indies in L.A..

I really enjoyed the years there with the Marathon (not to mention seeing flicks like HARD DAY'S NIGHT, MAD MAX, THE DEVILS, THE TINGLER, FORBIDDEN PLANET etc. growing up). And, truth be told, it's a better house physically than the Orson Welles ever was. The Welles was legendary, and deservedly so, for its programming and cultural impact, but the Coolidge was a better house to see a movie on a technical level.

All that being said, what David, Ian and the Somerville have done with the projection and sound system seems superior to the Coolidge. Unless the Coolidge has gone to 4K, it doesn't take the nod even with digital capabilities. Plus, still having an intact balcony tips the scales as far as a large communal Marathon experience.

Both are fine houses, so one doesn't have to criticize one in order to praise the other.

That's the part that bothers me.  Two fine houses still standing in a sea of multiplexes.  Let's not start crapping on one because you prefer the other.  As I have said, the Somerville is tops in my books and not because of any technical advantage (btw, the Coolidge has now raised the funds to go digital although I do not have the specifics), it is because I have come to know and care about the folks that work there.  The folks at the Coolidge are fine but the Somerville is family to me.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #168 - Mar 20th, 2013 at 7:12pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Just for the record I like the Coolidge too. The movie I saw was Comic-Con: Episode IV: A Fan's Hope with the director there introducing it and doing a Q&A. Great presentation. My sterile comment was really meant in comparison to the Somerville which has a (for want of a better word) funky atmosphere.

Those of you into old movie theaters should check into this site. http://cinematreasures.org/

Geez I wish I'd known you guys when I was working the old Saxon. Showing friends around that place was tons of fun, even if ya did feel like a masked killer or some mutant animal was lurking somewhere. 

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #169 - Mar 20th, 2013 at 8:23pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Frank wrote on Mar 20th, 2013 at 11:50am:
As I have said, the Somerville is tops in my books and not because of any technical advantage (btw, the Coolidge has now raised the funds to go digital although I do not have the specifics), it is because I have come to know and care about the folks that work there.  The folks at the Coolidge are fine but the Somerville is family to me.

Awwwww....we love you, too, Frank!

......but technically speaking, I know I'm kicking the crap out of the Coolidge.   Wink Cheesy Grin

da_Bunnyman wrote on Mar 20th, 2013 at 7:12pm:
Geez I wish I'd known you guys when I was working the old Saxon. Showing friends around that place was tons of fun, even if ya did feel like a masked killer or some mutant animal was lurking somewhere.

Yup, I worked the Saxon, too, many times.....

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #170 - Mar 20th, 2013 at 8:39pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

SF29, the marathon enters its wandering years. This time we were at the Dedham Community 1-2 so for the first time since the Welles we had 2 separate cinemas. Films played on about a 5 second delay between 1 and 2 which was fun during Giant Claw as we'd laugh at something and then 5 seconds later hear the other cinema get the joke. Pretty good lineup with Robot Stories a surprise  hit. Demonlover became a legend as many long time attendees swear it STILL has not ended. While not liked by many to me seeing Have Rocket Will Travel (starring the 3 Stooges in their semi final lineup with Curly Joe) at the Dedham was a real nostalgic throwback to the days of the kiddie matinee.

IP Logged

Reply #171 - Mar 21st, 2013 at 9:01pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Bunnyman, that's not the actual program from SF/29, but a newsletter Major Tom and the MLO handed out. The last two images are Frank's Trivia sheet.

da_Bunnyman wrote on Mar 20th, 2013 at 8:39pm:
[img][img][img][img][img][img][img]
SF29, the marathon enters its wandering years. This time we were at the Dedham Community 1-2 so for the first time since the Welles we had 2 separate cinemas. Films played on about a 5 second delay between 1 and 2 which was fun during Giant Claw as we'd laugh at something and then 5 seconds later hear the other cinema get the joke. Pretty good lineup with Robot Stories a surprise  hit. Demonlover became a legend as many long time attendees swear it STILL has not ended. While not liked by many to me seeing Have Rocket Will Travel (starring the 3 Stooges in their semi final lineup with Curly Joe) at the Dedham was a real nostalgic throwback to the days of the kiddie matinee.

IP Logged

Reply #172 - Mar 21st, 2013 at 10:22pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Mar 21st, 2013 at 9:01pm:
Bunnyman, that's not the actual program from SF/29, but a newsletter Major Tom and the MLO handed out. The last two images are Frank's Trivia sheet.

My error, but still it's all I have from SF29 (other than a button.)
Anyone have a program/schedule from it?
Was there one?

IP Logged

Reply #173 - Mar 21st, 2013 at 10:37pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I do have it somewhere. I will get it to you as soon as I can. During the meanwhile, here was the full lineup at SF/29 in Dedham:

SF29 - 2004
28 DAYS LATER
ADVENTURES OF CAPTAIN MARVEL (SERIAL) CHAPTERS 11&12
ALIEN-DIRECTOR’S CUT
AMAZING TRANSPARENT MAN
DEMONLOVER
DISH, THE
GIANT CLAW, THE
GODZILLA VS. MEGAGUIRUS
HAVE ROCKET, WILL TRAVEL
INCUBUS
MATRIX, THE
MUTINY IN OUTER SPACE
ROBOT STORIES
SPACE PATROL (German)

IP Logged

Reply #174 - Mar 21st, 2013 at 10:58pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Mar 21st, 2013 at 10:37pm:
I do have it somewhere. I will get it to you as soon as I can. During the meanwhile, here was the full lineup at SF/29 in Dedham:

Oh no prob knowing what was shown, I look at each years titles from the master list. You still updating that?
I'm just looking for any handouts from the event.

Still can't believe we actually had Incubus that year. So weird seeing Shatner speaking Esperanto which you could ALMOST understand. I woke up after it had started and thought I was still half asleep.

IP Logged

Reply #175 - Mar 21st, 2013 at 11:41pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I tried to get Forrest J Ackerman to come to the Marathon that year. He's one of the few folks from that era that spoke Esperanto!

Sadly, when  I called him, he said that he just did not feel up to travelling across country. He was already in failing health.

Woulda been cool if we had been able to swing it, though.

da_Bunnyman wrote on Mar 21st, 2013 at 10:58pm:
L.A. Connection wrote on Mar 21st, 2013 at 10:37pm:

Still can't believe we actually had Incubus that year. So weird seeing Shatner speaking Esperanto which you could ALMOST understand. I woke up after it had started and thought I was still half asleep.

IP Logged

Reply #176 - Mar 22nd, 2013 at 10:14am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Incubus, although by no means a science fiction film in any sense of the definition, was a real treat for me.  I was fairly certain that I would not see the movie on the big screen and I got to see it even before I ever saw it on the small screen.  Through in Alien (director's cut), The Dish (another pleasant non-science fiction treat) and The Giant Claw I will eventually be able to forgive the genius who thinks that Demonlover is a good film let alone thought that it would be a good fit.

IP Logged

Reply #177 - Mar 24th, 2013 at 7:54am

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Another year another theater. For SF30 we were back to the Somerville Theater, though quite a different one that SF14. The place was undergoing restoration and renovation (that continues to this day.)
Plus this was the first mention of A Science Fiction Film Festival.

IP Logged

Reply #178 - Mar 24th, 2013 at 3:50pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

After a decade and a half of good years at the Coolidge the "divorce" happened and we needed a stop-gap. And, the Dedham Community Theater was a stop-gap that wasn't in any way a "Boston" location with difficult at best public transportation (ironic that the Marathon has still NEVER been in Boston proper!). Appreciate that the Marathon continued without missing a year, and the folks at the DCT were very kind and tried their best. But, it was a big come-down from the Coolidge. The DCT was very much a "Community Theater" that had been inelegantly chopped in half in such a manner that the sightlines were terrible and much of the angled seating (to face the center of an old theater stage) meant that if you were facing straight forward you had to turn your head to face the screen.

All that said, it was a pretty good line-up (in an alternate universe, I'd love to re-watch it at the Somerville or Coolidge!). THE MATRIX was rescued from the Black Hole, THE DISH worked as a real science little charmer, and ROBOT STORIES was a pretty good "premiere" and Director Greg Park was a good guest. The tech deficiencies of the Dedham did take away from the experience of ALIEN, 28 DAYS LATER and THE MATRIX, but, they were still good.

There may have been a bit too much B-Movie schlock content with MUTINY IN OUTER SPACE, HAVE ROCKET WILL TRAVEL, AMAZING TRANSPARENT MAN and THE GIANT CLAW. MUTINY was a 50s B&W flick released a good 5 years too late, ditto the Stooges and HAVE ROCKET, TRANSPARENT was a decent no budget noirish film by the man (Edgar Ulmer) who made perhaps the best no budget noir film (DETOUR) and GIANT CLAW will live in glorious infamy for bringing the line, "It's as big as a Battleship!!" to the 'thon. (incidently, CLAW suffered a melting print on screen when it showed; so this year's 5TH ELEMENT incident definately wasn't a first).

INCUBUS was a treat and I'm glad I helped locate it, though a vocal minority in Cinema 2? (the one on the left entering the theater) weren't so pleased with all the "Marco...Polo!" shout-outs.  Angry

SPACE PATROL was a pretty neat compilation of a 7 episode mid-60s German TV series. This feature film compilation apparently was never officially released in the U.S., so we are amongst the very few to have seen it - certainly on the big screen. An import DVD is out there. (http://www.amazon.com/Raumpatrouille-phantastischen-Abenteuer-Raumschiffes-Orion...) A German friend didn't remember it, but, her brother did - as their "Star Trek".

On a personal note, my cousin John earned a special Marathon medal of valour that year. John woke up with a horrendous fever, but made the trek from the north shore all the way down to Dedham because he had the tickets for my group!! He stayed briefly and went back home to bed. So, I was shocked in the wee hours to look over down the row and see John alert and watching GODZILLA VS. MEGAGURIUS! A good night of sleep and he came back down and watched the rest of the 'thon! Medal-worthy for sure. Unfortunately, another member of my group, Rob, ate a questionable sandwich and went down for the count. A difficult year all around.

I was not sad to hear we wouldn't be back in Dedham, with all due respect to the efforts of the folks there. I thank them for keeping the Marathon alive for better days that awaited us.

P.S. I will try and get the SF29 program to the Bunnyman this week.

IP Logged

Reply #179 - Mar 24th, 2013 at 5:12pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

da_Bunnyman wrote on Mar 24th, 2013 at 7:54am:
Another year another theater. For SF30 we were back to the Somerville Theater, though quite a different one that SF14. The place was undergoing restoration and renovation (that continues to this day.)

The first marathon I ever ran, & I didnt know squat!
     Ive learned a thing or two since then....
     BTW, for the first & only time in my life, an audience cheered when the film broke.  The Apple was just that bad.

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 16