WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 16
Marathon Memorabilia: Bunnyman Files (Read 213987 times)
Reply #150 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 8:43pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Jon wrote on Mar 11th, 2013 at 10:13am:
SF27 program remains a fave re; text.  I recall that the repeating of that phrase, "...and then things go terribly wrong," just tickled my funny bone at the time.  In retrospect, it's still amusing.  Thanks for the memory!

And I still grimace when reading This Island Earth being called "The Star Trekiest" in the SF1 program.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #151 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 9:27pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

da_Bunnyman wrote on Mar 11th, 2013 at 8:43pm:
Jon wrote on Mar 11th, 2013 at 10:13am:
SF27 program remains a fave re; text.  I recall that the repeating of that phrase, "...and then things go terribly wrong," just tickled my funny bone at the time.  In retrospect, it's still amusing.  Thanks for the memory!

And I still grimace when reading This Island Earth being called "The Star Trekiest" in the SF1 program.

Of course!  If anything, we all know that Star Trek is really Forbidden Planetiest.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #152 - Mar 12th, 2013 at 2:43pm

Jon   Offline
MA

[/quote] And I still grimace when reading This Island Earth being called "The Star Trekiest" in the SF1 program. [/quote]

I wouldn't recall that (I started at SF2 - a.k.a. 1977), but I don't doubt you.  I'll look it up....
Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #153 - Mar 12th, 2013 at 6:11pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Jon wrote on Mar 12th, 2013 at 2:43pm:
And I still grimace when reading This Island Earth being called "The Star Trekiest" in the SF1 program. [/quote]

I wouldn't recall that (I started at SF2 - a.k.a. 1977), but I don't doubt you.  I'll look it up....
Smiley [/quote]

Yep, it's right there on page 1 of this thread in (faded) black and yellow.
But I should correct myself it actually was called "One of the STARTREKIEST!".

IP Logged

Reply #154 - Mar 12th, 2013 at 9:25pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

A small marathon mention in Boston Metro

IP Logged

Reply #155 - Mar 13th, 2013 at 1:51pm

Jon   Offline
MA

Well, the Metro is a smaller paper than the Phoenix was, so that seems fair.  At least they mentioned....  BTW, scary photo - very unsettling....

IP Logged

Reply #156 - Mar 13th, 2013 at 6:19pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

SF28, no theme (or was there one?) Seemed to be a lot of films I'd never seen this year. Invisible Boy, silly but fun, nice seeing Robby the Robot's followup at last. Invaders From Mars, you really need to have seen this as a kid to really appreciate it. Planet of the Vampires, always welcome so we can shout MARK and explain it to newbies. Sh! the Octopus that one makeup effect at the end shows what could be done WITHOUT CGI, rest of the movie was pretty strange too. Donnie Darko, pretty cool film. Equilibrium, sure you can call it a Matrix ripoff but I really liked it, some great fights and all in all a fun film.

IP Logged

Reply #157 - Mar 13th, 2013 at 6:47pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

What I most remember most about this line-up is that this was probably the last one before Festival type flicks, kiddie matinee/animation and "Premieres" hogged much of the prime-time hours of the event. After MINORITY REPORT, you had a TWELVE HOUR stretch of METROPOLIS, INVISIBLE BOY, SECONDS, GWANGI, INVADERS FROM MARS, PLANET OF VAMPIRES and SH! OCTOPUS - all old school Pre-70s flicks IN A ROW!! I did sense of tad of restlessness amongst some of the younger Marathoners in the crowd - but #$#$ 'em! Hard to believe we'll see ever that kind of stretch again!
INVISIBLE BOY had more politically incorrect child punishment in it than I had remembered!
Love the line in the program Re: METROPOLIS - "The Definitive 2002 Restoration" - of course, just a couple of years later there was a new "definitive" restoration!
GROUNDHOG DAY worked as a 4am flick.
I've still never seen the Director's cut of DONNIE DARKO that supposedly ruins the small-scale charms of the original cut.
Very very very saddened by the snarky reaction by a loud minority of the crowd to INVADERS FROM MARS. It was a discgrace to a fine film. It remains a marathon lowpoint for me personally.

Here's that mind-blowing pre-CGI scene from SH! THE OCTOPUS:

da_Bunnyman wrote on Mar 13th, 2013 at 6:19pm:

SF28, no theme (or was there one?) Seemed to be a lot of films I'd never seen this year. Invisible Boy, silly but fun, nice seeing Robby the Robot's followup at last. Invaders From Mars, you really need to have seen this as a kid to really appreciate it. Planet of the Vampires, always welcome so we can shout MARK and explain it to newbies. Sh! the Octopus that one makeup effect at the end shows what could be done WITHOUT CGI, rest of the movie was pretty strange too. Donnie Darko, pretty cool film. Equilibrium, sure you can call it a Matrix ripoff but I really liked it, some great fights and all in all a fun film.

IP Logged

Reply #158 - Mar 15th, 2013 at 6:15pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

The buttons from the marathon's time at the Coolidge Corner. The generic looking SF27 one was made by someone because no official button was made that year. Something about them not selling well.

IP Logged

Reply #159 - Mar 15th, 2013 at 6:23pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

And just like that the marathon was homeless again. I've never really heard an explanation for us losing the Coolidge Corner as a venue but it happened.

IP Logged

Reply #160 - Mar 16th, 2013 at 12:28pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

da_Bunnyman wrote on Mar 15th, 2013 at 6:23pm:
And just like that the marathon was homeless again. I've never really heard an explanation for us losing the Coolidge Corner as a venue but it happened.   

It was sad leaving the Coolidge after so long (more years than at the Orson Welles!). A lot of things apparently went into that happening. The Coolidge started hosting bigger exclusive run films. It was "Academy Awards" season with Oscar nominees playing there. The Coolidge started hosting other film festivals. There were some changes on the Coolidge Board. The Marathon and the theater started having different priorities. Etc. Etc..

It was a divorce, plain and simple.

I prefer to remember the good days, rather than the split.

IP Logged

Reply #161 - Mar 16th, 2013 at 5:47pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Loved the Coolidge, still do.  I like LA's approach.  Both parents moved on and the kids get to visit both and neither parent tries to get the upper hand.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #162 - Mar 18th, 2013 at 10:53pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

It was an amicable divorce as divorces go. Still sad. But, with all the upgrades at the Somerville, I think it all worked out for the best. Having the balcony is cool, too. Of course, the Coolidge had a balcony before the Marathon moved there.

IP Logged

Reply #163 - Mar 19th, 2013 at 10:59am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

L.A. Connection wrote on Mar 18th, 2013 at 10:53pm:
It was an amicable divorce as divorces go. Still sad. But, with all the upgrades at the Somerville, I think it all worked out for the best. Having the balcony is cool, too. Of course, the Coolidge had a balcony before the Marathon moved there.

Don't know about all that.  I prefer the Somerville because I know the people but I frequent the Coolidge and I can't say I like one theater over the other.  It's not as if the Coolidge has sat on its' hands since we left.   

IP Logged

Reply #164 - Mar 19th, 2013 at 9:29pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

[/quote] Don't know about all that.  I prefer the Somerville because I know the people but I frequent the Coolidge and I can't say I like one theater over the other.  It's not as if the Coolidge has sat on its' hands since we left.   
[/quote]

I think I prefer the Somerville too. It's got a better atmosphere with the balcony and all the historical stuff from the theater in the lobby. The main lobby is kinda small but the second floor one is great for sleeping.
I've only been to the Coolidge once since SF38 and it seemed kind of sterile.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 16