WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 16
Marathon Memorabilia: Bunnyman Files (Read 215122 times)
Reply #135 - Mar 6th, 2013 at 5:04pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

The SF-26 logo truly rocked - I cherrish my coffee cup to this day. As I recall, the graphic was an homage to  a "Queen of Outer Space" contest the year before. The contestant's comments were priceless. When asked why she wanted to be queen, she replied:

"I already AM queen. I'm just here to pick up my prize!"
Cheesy

Would the queen contest ever come back? I enjoyed them more than the tinfoil hat and a lot more than the alien mating cry.

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #136 - Mar 7th, 2013 at 9:09pm

Joe Neff   Offline

Ah, great memories of my maiden voyages aboard the Starship Coolidge.  Let's see:

*After years of endorsement from your former host organism Bruce Bartoo, my cohorts and I finally made it out to Boston for SF24.  1999 was somewhat of a turning point for the Columbus Marathons.  After nine years at the dear, departed, 800-seat Drexel North (R.I.P.), the Sci-Fi Marathons had resided at the mammoth Capitol Theatre in downtown Columbus.  But a somewhat schizophrenic lead time for promotions (a flaw that would become more evident as the years passed), coupled with the venue's prohibition on food or drink in the screening room (yikes!) dealt quite the blow to attendance.  To wit, in the span of those three years, we went from 600+ to just around 350; since then, Columbus has never again seen quite so many for an SF Marathon.  So to come to Boston in 1999 and experience a large, enthusiastic crowd in a large, historic theater was quite the treat.

And ya know, looking back now, this was a pretty great and eccentric lineup.  DREAMSCAPE holds a special place in my heart for the gleefully evil David Patrick Kelly performance alone.  CITY OF LOST CHILDREN is a film that keeps getting better with age, X-THE MAN WITH X-RAY EYES was a treat on 35mm and INVASION OF THE BEE GIRLS an absolute hoot.  My only complaint?  This was the second of three straight Marathons I attended (counting Columbus and Boston) in which DARK CITY was scheduled in a sleep-inducing time slot.  It remains one of the more audaciously designed films of the era, so I'd love to see it again at a future Marathon, preferably earlier in the lineup.

*At the time, I remember being a bit disappointed in the SF25 lineup.  I had read about the stacked SF20 slate, so I was expecting another anniversary Marathon to have a similar tone.  But if I ignore the significance of the year, this is actually a pretty good mix of films.  In particular, IRON GIANT was tremendous to see with this crowd.  As L.A. mentioned, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN is probably one of the best premieres I've seen at a Sci-Fi Marathon.  And any Marathon that features the legendary INFRA-MAN is cool by me.

This was also a special time for me personally, as the Columbus contingent managed to haul out a record ten attendees (a picture of whom can be found here), including Bruce's first trip back in over a decade.  We've never had as large a contingent since, so I'll always have find memories of this gathering.

*For me, SF26 is one of the weaker lineups I've sat through.  It was still enjoyable, but a bit too reliant on B-fare.  And yes, Frank and L.A. are correct: BATTLEFIELD EARTH was met with boredom and befuddlement.  I stood in the back of the Coolidge, reading a book, for the entirety of its running time, so I vividly remember the non-reaction it elicited.

IP Logged

Reply #137 - Mar 7th, 2013 at 11:28pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

"BATTLEFIELD EARTH - Gotta disagree strongly here. I know that certain folks have tried to spin this over the years as a Marathon success (or made excuses for why it wasn't), but it fell pretty flat once the shock & awe of how bad it was wore off. Like the later SOUND OF THUNDER, it was a failed attempt at "creating" a cult so-bad-its-good hit out of a then recent blockbuster failure (Jay Seaver's fave sub-genre:  Wink ).
Sure, there was a modicum of fun with Travolta's laugh, but, it was more derisive than anything else."

Sometimes it's more that I remember how a movie went over with my little group of friends at the 'thon.
Travolta's try at playing a larger than life bad guy was just horrendous. Hell Snidely Whiplash had more facets to his character and that laugh just really grates on you in all the wrong ways.   
Battlefield Earth WAS meant to be taken serious though.

But I'll admit sometimes my memories about marathons do get mixed up. I still swear there was a full bed set up at the front of the line at SF10 and that 2 marathoners were using a third as a battering ram to try to break into the projection booth to stop Baron Munchausen at SF8.
And I can say just about anything I want about Hu-Man from SF2 since I'm apparently one of the few people on the planet who has seen the thing.  Wink

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #138 - Mar 8th, 2013 at 8:57am

kirok   Offline
God Member

the orson welles years are a blur. it was so many years ago. from midnight to noon there were 3 screens running simultaneously. the emphasis was on 50's and 60's classics and 70's B movies. i was like a kid in a candy store.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #139 - Mar 8th, 2013 at 8:00pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

A couple of late posts from SF25. The survey actually has a couple of unused themes that could be fun for a future 'thon.
And of course trivia.

IP Logged

Reply #140 - Mar 8th, 2013 at 8:13pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Mutants R Us so of course we had to show X-Men. Iceman was interesting and started a catch phrase with the caveman's language. Omega Man was better than I remembered but really showed it's age in the look of the costumes. Lost World was fun as almost all the silents we show are, much better than the remake. These Are The Damned went over much better this time. Terminal Man was so dull we encouraged ANY action that looked like it might happen. Light Years Trilogy we are still not sure actually exists.  The Independent was an example of thinking outside the box in marathon movie choices. I liked it and the crowd seemed to too.

IP Logged

Reply #141 - Mar 9th, 2013 at 12:31am

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

OMEGA MAN is a perfect example of a "Marathon Film". It works great in the context, but, isn't the finest SF film out there. But, the soundtrack rocks!  Wink

LIGHT YEARS TRILOGY looks like it will never see the light of day as it was never fully completed. IMPOSTER was made into a feature film and released. The studio actually sent the Coolidge the French animated film LIGHT YEARS (by Rene Laloux, maker of FANTASTIC PLANET). I quite liked LIGHT YEARS on its original release. I begged for it to be shown at the Marathon, but was rebuffed.

THE INDEPENDENT worked even if it strayed pretty far from the Marathon norm. WAVE TWISTERS was like an escaped rock video gone waaaaaaaaay long. 46 minutes to be exact!

I helped push for the then newly restored versions of DOCTOR X and THESE ARE THE DAMNED which had debuted in L.A. during that time frame. DAMNED is still damned good. And, it too has a great soundtrack:

Damned:

Omega Man:

da_Bunnyman wrote on Mar 8th, 2013 at 8:13pm:

Mutants R Us so of course we had to show X-Men. Iceman was interesting and started a catch phrase with the caveman's language. Omega Man was better than I remembered but really showed it's age in the look of the costumes. Lost World was fun as almost all the silents we show are, much better than the remake. These Are The Damned went over much better this time. Terminal Man was so dull we encouraged ANY action that looked like it might happen. Light Years Trilogy we are still not sure actually exists.  The Independent was an example of thinking outside the box in marathon movie choices. I liked it and the crowd seemed to too.

IP Logged

Reply #142 - Mar 9th, 2013 at 7:25am

kirok   Offline
God Member

i loved the minimalist t-shirt that year. i'd pay for a remake of that one. i really mean it. i got a lot of compliments.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #143 - Mar 9th, 2013 at 11:13am

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Quote:
LA:
DAMNED is still damned good. And, it too has a great soundtrack:

Great! Now I've got that DAMNED soundtrack going through my head!  Roll Eyes

It was a popular choice, and a reminder that there are a lot of damned good movies out there. While, I prefer the 1960 Hammer/George Sanders original (not seen since SF-12!), I've also seen the John Carpenter/Christopher Reeves "Villiage of the Damned" and think it would be a good "Marathon Film".
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114852/?ref_=fn_al_tt_7

Hammer also gave us the 1964 sequel "Children of the Damned", (not seen since SF-7), and the Lee/Cushing "Island of the Burning Damned" (1967) which has never shown.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056931/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062037/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_33

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #144 - Mar 9th, 2013 at 1:06pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

R_F_Fineman wrote on Mar 9th, 2013 at 11:13am:

It was a popular choice, and a reminder that there are a lot of damned good movies out there. While, I prefer the 1960 Hammer/George Sanders original (not seen since SF-12!), I've also seen the John Carpenter/Christopher Reeves "Villiage of the Damned" and think it would be a good "Marathon Film".

NOW, RF has gone too damned far! Carpenter's VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED is soooooooo damned bad, it makes the pretty rotten ESCAPE FROM L.A. an equal to ESCAPE TO NY by comparison! It's doubly sad because it not only soiled the memory of the original, it also was the last film Christopher REEVE made before his eventually fatal accident.

No, damned way!

Note: Edited. I guess I had the "Chris Lee" at the Marathon controversy on my mind........ Embarrassed
« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2013 at 7:11pm by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #145 - Mar 9th, 2013 at 3:26pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

L.A. Connection wrote on Mar 9th, 2013 at 1:06pm:
R_F_Fineman wrote on Mar 9th, 2013 at 11:13am:

NOW, RF has gone too damned far! Carpenter's VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED is soooooooo damned bad, it makes the pretty rotten ESCAPE FROM L.A. an equal to ESCAPE TO NY by comparison! It's doubly sad because it not only soiled the memory of the original, it also was the last film Christopher Lee made before his eventually fatal accident.

No, damned way!

Christopher Lee?  You mean Reeve, of course.

These are The Damned has precious little to do with the events of Village of the Damned / Children of the Damned.  All three are fine films and I would welcome them anytime.

Night of the Big Heat/Island of the Burning Doom/ Island of the Burning Damned would be a fine addition to the marathon.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #146 - Mar 9th, 2013 at 5:58pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Quote:
LA:
...damned...damned...damned...

Quote:
RF:

Quote:
Frank:

(not really memorabilia related)

It looks like one of those damned thread jacks... Cheesy

-maybe they should find their own damned thread!

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #147 - Mar 9th, 2013 at 10:06pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

DARN YOU ALL TO HECK!

IP Logged

Reply #148 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 10:13am

Jon   Offline
MA

SF27 program remains a fave re; text.  I recall that the repeating of that phrase, "...and then things go terribly wrong," just tickled my funny bone at the time.  In retrospect, it's still amusing.  Thanks for the memory!

IP Logged

Reply #149 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 2:50pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Frank wrote on Mar 9th, 2013 at 3:26pm:
These are The Damned has precious little to do with the events of Village of the Damned / Children of the Damned.  All three are fine films and I would welcome them anytime.

Night of the Big Heat/Island of the Burning Doom/ Island of the Burning Damned would be a fine addition to the marathon.

THESE ARE THE DAMNED isn't part of the VILLAGE/ CHILDEREN OF THE DAMNED series. Still, it came out in that same time frame and is also a British production to boot. And, the use of children is eerily in synch. I remember Bruce Bartoo being peppered to re-show VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED at one point at the Welles, and, in frustration, he blurted out, "I hate those Damned films!"  Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 16