WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 16
Marathon Memorabilia: Bunnyman Files (Read 215196 times)
Reply #120 - Feb 24th, 2013 at 12:29pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Thanks again for these, Bunnyman!

Couldn't disagree more about GATTACA. It's one of my fave SF films of the past 20 years or so and has a terrific Top 10 level Film Score by Michael Nyman. SOYLENT GREEN made a welcome return after two decades to the 'thon. The inclusion of a straight out horror film like ZOMBIES OF MORA TAU was curious - it isn't a terrible grade B flick, though. Never heard we were selling out ANY year at the Coolidge. Seemed like there were always plenty of empty seats.

THEM! Time for a return visit to the Marathon? I hasn't shown since this one, 15 years ago! It's PHASE V perhaps?  Cheesy

Historical note: We booked Rene Laloux' classic FANTASTIC PLANET to show that year, but the distributor sent us FANTASTIC VOYAGE instead.

da_Bunnyman wrote on Feb 23rd, 2013 at 8:57pm:
[img][img][img][img][img][img][img]

Bugs, Brains and other beasties, that's a pretty wide ranging theme. Contact was interesting, it does have some plot holes and a disappointing alien.  Them is always welcome at the 'thon. Gattaca may be well done but is still about a guy with a heart condition tricking his way into space. Soylent Green is people. Man With Two Brains was very funny. Space Truckers a fun little film from Stuart Gordon.
We were selling out the Coolidge every year btw.

« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2013 at 2:07pm by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #121 - Feb 24th, 2013 at 1:05pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

I don't recall the Coolidge selling out every year.  I am not saying that it never happened but there were plenty of seats available on the day of the marathon.  GATTACA is one of my all time faves.  Them! is long overdue, the first and best of the big bug movies.  WB's highest grossing film of 1954.  I suggested it to Garen for next year.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #122 - Feb 24th, 2013 at 9:27pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Frank wrote on Feb 24th, 2013 at 1:05pm:
I don't recall the Coolidge selling out every year.  I am not saying that it never happened but there were plenty of seats available on the day of the marathon. 

I always remember the place being pretty packed each year.
But then sometimes my memories do get a bit blurred.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #123 - Feb 25th, 2013 at 2:20am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Of course, the Red Sox officially call this a "sellout", too.......

IP Logged

Reply #124 - Feb 26th, 2013 at 4:07pm

Spatch from the balcony   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Balcony or bust!
Davis Square

The Marathon must have sold out at least once while at the Coolidge, because I remember coming up early one morning from UMass Amherst and having to play the "need one, got one?" game down Damnation Alley. One of the Ark crew had a spare and sold it at face value. Honor among Marathoners. I wasn't the only one that year needing a miracle, either.

IP Logged

Reply #125 - Feb 26th, 2013 at 10:05pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

SF24, while it's not named it's pretty obvious we had a mad scientist theme happening. If not, it should've been since almost all the films feature one.
Dreamscape seems to be forgotten by fans for some reason. A rare showing of a the first Hammer Frankenstein film. Young Frankenstein's print  was missing a classic gag. City of Lost Children was truly a trip and a half. 27th Day was a no show, although we supposedly got the negative. Dark City another overlooked film that the marathoids loved.

IP Logged

Reply #126 - Feb 26th, 2013 at 10:08pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

The official SF24 trivia quiz.
Go ahead, take a shot at it, if you get stuck well the internet IS available.

IP Logged

Reply #127 - Mar 1st, 2013 at 6:06pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

And we're off again. SF25. Good Lord we're reaching the quarter century mark

IP Logged

Reply #128 - Mar 1st, 2013 at 6:11pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

A nice little article on the upcoming event including some quotes by long time attendees (not me though)

IP Logged

Reply #129 - Mar 3rd, 2013 at 8:01pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

25 years of sleep deprivation. Yow! Fun films this year too. Infra Man is just insane. Iron Giant is a classic, his last line had the crowd absolutely silent except for a lot of sniffles holding back tears. (This was really before the film was discovered on video.) Lots of applause at the very end.  27th Day is better than I'd heard, low key but good. Death Race 2000 was a good choice since we had to have at least one film with 2000 in the title.  eXistenz I am still trying to figure out. Spaced Invader was the MIA movie this year. George Lucas In Love, this was before Phantom Menace so we still liked George, fun short anyway. Brazil, always welcome, and we end with another visit from Klaatu. Lost Planet may be the worst serial ever.

IP Logged

Reply #130 - Mar 3rd, 2013 at 9:22pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

TRON was cool to see again on the big screen, even if it's not that great a movie.
TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (later re-titled INVASION - original, eh?) is the best "Premiere" the Marathon has ever had.

And, of course, there was ASTROSLUT!

Hey, better than all those Burlesque shows that have invaded the Marathon. ...

da_Bunnyman wrote on Mar 3rd, 2013 at 8:01pm:
[img][img][img][img][img][img][img]

25 years of sleep deprivation. Yow! Fun films this year too. Infra Man is just insane. Iron Giant is a classic, his last line had the crowd absolutely silent except for a lot of sniffles holding back tears. (This was really before the film was discovered on video.) Lots of applause at the very end.  27th Day is better than I'd heard, low key but good. Death Race 2000 was a good choice since we had to have at least one film with 2000 in the title.  eXistenz I am still trying to figure out. Spaced Invader was the MIA movie this year. George Lucas In Love, this was before Phantom Menace so we still liked George, fun short anyway. Brazil, always welcome, and we end with another visit from Klaatu. Lost Planet may be the worst serial ever.

IP Logged

Reply #131 - Mar 3rd, 2013 at 10:05pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

I was gonna get around to remembering them.

IP Logged

Reply #132 - Mar 6th, 2013 at 7:49am

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

If nothing else, SF26 will be remembered for one of the coolest marathon t-shirts ever. Bride of Frankenstein on the big screen, fantastic and fun. Mad Max in the original Australian accents. Titan A.E. was saved by it's final joke.Barbarella and Galaxina, 2 gorgeous girls of the galaxy, neither film is that great though. Battlefield Earth went over well as the 'thon crowd really could not believe how bad it was. Travolta's laugh was heard for years after. Trekkies and Galaxy Quest ended this years event with 2 looks at sci-fi fans. Both are sympathetic in their ways, but in Galaxy Quest we get to rescue the heroes.
Oh yeah, Captain Video was even worse than Lost Planet.

IP Logged

Reply #133 - Mar 6th, 2013 at 2:31pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Battlefield Earth went over well as the 'thon crowd really could not believe how bad it was. Travolta's laugh was heard for years after.

I won't go as far as to accuse the Bunnyman of revisionist history because, quite frankly, it ain't his style. However, my recollection of the reception given to Battlefield Earth is significantly different than his remembrance of the event.  Battlefield Earth was not considered one of those so bad it's fun movies, rather it was considered just awful and draggy.  There were no howls of laughter rather there were a few painful groans amid a sea of silence.  A lot of booing at the end.  I don't even recall Travolta's laugh and it was certainly never brought up in subsequent years. Just a terrible experience to be avoided.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #134 - Mar 6th, 2013 at 2:38pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

da_Bunnyman wrote on Mar 6th, 2013 at 7:49am:
If nothing else, SF26 will be remembered for one of the coolest marathon t-shirts ever. Bride of Frankenstein on the big screen, fantastic and fun. Mad Max in the original Australian accents. Titan A.E. was saved by it's final joke.Barbarella and Galaxina, 2 gorgeous girls of the galaxy, neither film is that great though. Battlefield Earth went over well as the 'thon crowd really could not believe how bad it was. Travolta's laugh was heard for years after. Trekkies and Galaxy Quest ended this years event with 2 looks at sci-fi fans. Both are sympathetic in their ways, but in Galaxy Quest we get to rescue the heroes.
Oh yeah, Captain Video was even worse than Lost Planet.

The T-Shirt design was simple, but cool. An Art Director I was working with at the time was quite impressed.
The TREKKIES & GALAXY QUEST double bill at the end was great fun.
GALAXINA was a reminder of the last gasp of Crown International pictures and Drive-In pics in general. It would be a better Marathon memory, if it hadn't been shown twice in an 8 year period!
TANK GIRL - Who was that hot sidekick? Naomi Watts - before anyone knew who she was. I got to work with Lori Petty and Director Rachel Talalay (several times). Both were cool talking about it. The Director of Photography, Gale Tattersall shot HOUSE for 6 of its 8 years.
BARBARELLA. Don't know how, but, I really had forgotten how much nudity was in it (and rated PG to boot!). It's fun euro schlock.
BATTLEFIELD EARTH - Gotta disagree strongly here. I know that certain folks have tried to spin this over the years as a Marathon success (or made excuses for why it wasn't), but it fell pretty flat once the shock & awe of how bad it was wore off. Like the later SOUND OF THUNDER, it was a failed attempt at "creating" a cult so-bad-its-good hit out of a then recent blockbuster failure (Jay Seaver's fave sub-genre:  Wink ).
Sure, there was a modicum of fun with Travolta's laugh, but, it was more derisive than anything else.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 16