WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Our MARATHON in the News, On the Web etc. (Read 38342 times)
Reply #15 - Jan 10th, 2013 at 12:59pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

BWAH HA HA HA HA!

I LOVE it!

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #16 - Jan 10th, 2013 at 1:01pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Jan 9th, 2013 at 1:59pm:
New youtube video about last year's (SF/37) marathon done by long-time Marathoner Lile G's daughter. It's fast-paced and packs in lot in 4 minutes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x935Lr5HO0&feature=youtu.be

Wonderful work, puts a great spin on the 'thon and it's inhabitants.

IP Logged

Reply #17 - Jan 16th, 2013 at 11:03am

Jon   Offline
MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Jan 9th, 2013 at 1:59pm:
New youtube video about last year's (SF/37) marathon done by long-time Marathoner Lile G's daughter. It's fast-paced and packs in lot in 4 minutes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x935Lr5HO0&feature=youtu.be

Just saw this, and while it's purpose is different from the newly released SF38 trailer (cool enough on its own!), I enjoyed it - and my son and I even made it into a shot or two in passing.
  Smiley
Kudos.

IP Logged

Reply #18 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 12:54pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

IP Logged

Reply #19 - Feb 1st, 2015 at 1:28pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

A Boston Globe article on the Big 40th Anniversary Marathon. (adding to this thread archive):

http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/movies/2015/01/31/hours-sci-somerville/MD8s7KG8f...

Of course, Metaluna is the setting of THIS ISLAND EARTH, not FORBIDDEN PLANET, silly Ed.

And, the interviewees are a bunch of WIMPS! Sleep!?? Phooey! 35 Years - not a wink!

IP Logged

Reply #20 - Feb 5th, 2015 at 4:14pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

IP Logged

Reply #21 - Feb 5th, 2015 at 4:44pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

"And, the interviewees are a bunch of WIMPS! Sleep!?? Phooey! 35 Years - not a wink!"

Hopefully you're only referring to your time at the marathon L.A. and not life in general?   Grin

IP Logged

Reply #22 - Jan 24th, 2016 at 1:06pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Not sure if this had been posted, but, this is a nice video about SF/40 - the marathon that almost wasn't because of the series of blizzards:

IP Logged

Reply #23 - Feb 9th, 2016 at 12:40pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

SF/40s time-lapse video:

IP Logged

Reply #24 - Jan 19th, 2017 at 1:06pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

A nice piece on the event and it's history.
Extra points for a mention of EVERY theater to host it.

http://scoutsomerville.com/boston-sci-fi-film-festival/

IP Logged

Reply #25 - Jan 19th, 2017 at 2:35pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

da_Bunnyman wrote on Jan 19th, 2017 at 1:06pm:

Always nice to see our Marathon in the news. But, crikey, can't we ever get an article that DOESN'T use that 20 year old 3D photo???!! Things have happened at the event in the past two decades.  Cry

IP Logged

Reply #26 - Jan 19th, 2017 at 2:57pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

The article is OK and any press is good but can we bring in a fresh take here.  I did like the photo of the posters gracing the lobby.  I wonder who supplied those?  Unfortunately, the article makes no mention of it.  Wink

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #27 - Jan 19th, 2017 at 11:40pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Jan 19th, 2017 at 2:35pm:
da_Bunnyman wrote on Jan 19th, 2017 at 1:06pm:

Always nice to see our Marathon in the news. But, crikey, can't we ever get an article that DOESN'T use that 20 year old 3D photo???!! Things have happened at the event in the past two decades.  Cry

Could've been worse.

IP Logged

Reply #28 - Jan 20th, 2017 at 12:40pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Actually that would have been better.  It would give one a sense of the age of the marathon. Sort of a dawn of time and you are there kind of thing.........

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #29 - Feb 4th, 2017 at 1:17pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

The Boston Globe's article on the Fest and Marathon. I think the reference to an Outer Limits episode is mistaken, however.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/movies/2017/02/02/galaxies-far-far-away-come-so...

Galaxies far, far away come to Somerville

By Loren King Globe Correspondent  February 03, 2017

The social and political landscape might seem otherworldly right now, but probably less so to fans of science fiction and fantasy. Doomsday scenarios and surreal twists have long been hallmarks of the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon. For 42 years, this 11-day cinematic event — making it the oldest genre festival in the country, according to organizers — is a feast of foreboding, creepiness, silliness, and schlock.

“It’s the genre of our generation,” says festival founder and curator Garen Daly. “Science fiction can address anything.” The stories are truly universal, with films coming from every corner of the globe: This year’s fest boasts films from China, New Zealand, Thailand, and Australia, among other countries. Daly says there is even an “Israeli robot film. In Hebrew.”

“Boston SciFi” takes place at the Somerville Theatre Feb. 10-20. The first nine days consist of a traditional film festival, with features, shorts, workshops, and post-screening talks by filmmakers. Highlights include “The Landing,” a “Blair Witch”-style “fake documentary” about an ill-fated NASA manned lunar flight, in 1973. Helmed by David Dodson and Mark Dodson, it purports to have unearthed decades-old found footage from NASA’s secret, abandoned Apollo 18 mission.

Daly is also pleased to have landed another obscure film that he’s wanted to book for years: “Energy! The Movie” (1993) will have its US premiere at the festival with director Andreas Marfori’s personal print. If the title isn’t campy enough, consider that it stars counterculture figure Timothy Leary as a scientist.

The post-apocalyptic “Last Broken Darkness” (2017) from South African director Christopher-lee dos Santos is about Sam (Sean Cameron Michael), one of the last surviving human beings left on Earth after a massive meteor shower.

The animated “Nation Awakes” (2016) is billed as the first superhero movie coming out of Pakistan and reportedly the most expensive movie ever made in that country

The festival also showcases the world premiere of “Project Eden” (2017) with the entire cast in attendance, including actor Mark Dopud of TV’s “Dark Matter.” Written and directed by Ashlee Jensen and Terrance M. Young, it’s about a woman who becomes an unwitting fugitive after she discovers that her son’s catatonic state may be at the heart of a global conspiracy.

The festival concludes with the 24-hour Marathon (a.k.a., “The ‘Thon”) featuring classic and new films, ranging from “The Creature From the Black Lagoon” (1954) to an original “Outer Limits” episode. It starts at noon on Feb. 19 and ends at noon Feb. 20. This year’s event will feature a long “in memoriam” section, says Daly, that includes nods to “Star Trek” actor Leonard Nimoy and to the one and only Princess Leia, Carrie Fisher. “I loved her,” says Daly, who promises a special tribute to the “Star Wars” actress and renowned writer similar to when the entire audience sang “Space Oddity” last year in honor of David Bowie.

bostonscifi.com

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3