WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

John Carter (Read 8888 times)
Mar 1st, 2012 at 12:32am

ed symkus   Offline
SF Rocks

Just came from a screening of it. Very cool movie, at times quite spectacular, great sense of humor, beautiful airships that we haven't seen before, good acting all the way through, a "dog" that all dog lovers will love, solid use of 3D in that it's used for depth and scope more than anything else. Far better than the trailer (yes, I actually watched the trailer) suggested.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Mar 1st, 2012 at 1:18am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Glad to hear it Ed.  I was worried.  I grew up on Burroughs and loved Princess of Mars.  I have been waiting for a good adaptation of a non-Tarzan Burroughs work.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Mar 6th, 2012 at 5:42pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

This could be a "hurry-up-and-see-it-before-its-too-late" kind of movie.

Quote:
Is John Carter 'doomed' at the box office?

This weekend's big new release boasts an astounding $250 million price tag — and a startling lack of audience interest...John Carter is reminiscent of Kevin Costner's Waterworld...If John Carter flops, blame Mars..."When it comes to the box office, there's very little life on" the Red Planet. The animated Mars Needs Moms was one of last year's biggest flops, earning just $25 million on its $200 million production and promotional budget. The past 10 years also saw Mission to Mars, Red Planet, Ghost of Mars, and Doom all tank spectacularly; Mars Attacks! is Tim Burton's lowest-grossing movie of the past 15 years. "The amount of Mars-related flops could fill a crater," and John Carter looks to be next.
Huh

http://news.yahoo.com/john-carter-doomed-box-office-124500634.html

I'm holding out for the possibility that it achieves redemption through cult status. Blade Runner and Gattaca did not hit with general audiences the first time around. Those who did see them loved them.

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 4:06pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I dunno, CARTER is scoring only at 49% (and a whopping 20% positive as of this writing with Top Critics) on Rotten Tomatoes....

Undecided

ed symkus wrote on Mar 1st, 2012 at 12:32am:
Just came from a screening of it. Very cool movie, at times quite spectacular, great sense of humor, beautiful airships that we haven't seen before, good acting all the way through, a "dog" that all dog lovers will love, solid use of 3D in that it's used for depth and scope more than anything else. Far better than the trailer (yes, I actually watched the trailer) suggested.

« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2012 at 9:37pm by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Mar 12th, 2012 at 7:20am

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

LA:
Quote:
I dunno, CARTER is scoring only at 49% (and a whopping 20% positive as of this writing with Top Critics) on Rotten Tomatoes....

After some scathing reviews, better ones; including very positive ones by Ed Symkus and Ty Burr, have lifted John Carter from flop-of-the-year status. It's now up to a respectable 7.0 on the IMDB after earlier reviews put it below 5. Strange goings-on indeed. Has anyone else seen it?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0401729/

If it is unlikely to be booked at the next 'thon, (as Disney films tend to be) then maybe it IS worth a ticket after all. It seems to be the sort of film that only works on the big 3-D screen.

Mrs. F is reluctant to see a TV beefcake actor sword fighting with creatures who look disturbingly like Jar-Jar Binks. I'm leaning toward the glass is half-full with director Andrew Stanton (Wall-E), Samantha Morton, Willem DeFoe, Ciaran Hinds and Thomas Hayden-Church in the cast.

What do the board members think?

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Mar 12th, 2012 at 10:08am

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

It's a pretty good movie.  Some of the acting is a little rough, but you get used to it by the end and it works for period pulp.  It's got the sort of world-building that only George Lucas, James Cameron, and Peter Jackson pull off better, and the Pixar-supervised effects are pretty great.  I saw it in IMAX 3D but think it will work perfectly well in 2D; it's a good post-conversion, but not an integral one.

My only real complaint is the bookends with Edgar Rice Burroughs as a character; maybe that's from the original books, but they could be easily cut and not be missed at all.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Mar 31st, 2012 at 8:50pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Caught it tonight.  Both Fran and I liked it quite a bit.  Walt Disney handled the material very well.  I grew up on Burroughs and so I have a soft spot for the material.  I have been waiting for a non-Tarzan Burroughs vehicle to be done right and this one qualifies.  If you enjoy sword and sandal stories with a science fiction setting you will not be disappointed.  It is too bad that the selling of the movie was so mismanaged although selling an Burroughs story, even Tarzan, would be difficult today. 
Anyway, if you have not seen it it is worth a look.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #7 - Apr 25th, 2012 at 9:21pm

ed symkus   Offline
SF Rocks

Finally getting around to posting some reviews.

http://www.freetime.com/onscreen-john-carter/

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Apr 26th, 2012 at 7:22pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Apr 27th, 2012 at 11:21am

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

FWIW:  The Brattle will be playing this in 2D and (I think) 35mm this coming Wednesday and Thursday.  Pretty much the only chance we've got to see it without the post-conversion and on film in the Boston area, and it deserves a shot on the big screen.

IP Logged