WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Oldest Marathon? Boston or Cleveland (Read 9982 times)
Feb 26th, 2012 at 11:10pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

Split off into it's own topic - admin

On another thread I questioned whether the Boston Marathon was indeed the longest continuous genre marathon, since Cleveland had their 37th Annual this year before Boston.
Well I did some research. Cleveland's first was January 30, 1976. So unless Boston has moved it's date from Prez Day weekend, it does indeed have primacy.
Here's the proof: http://blog.case.edu/archives/2011/01/14/science_fiction_film_marathon
Cheers from Cleveland
« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2012 at 2:04pm by L.A. Connection »  

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2012 at 12:32am

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

A few notes:

-- I've never posted here on the board that we are the oldest genre festival in the world. That's on the main website, and even there, "we think" is put on as a qualifier.

-- You'll note that this year on stage the boast was slightly altered to state it as the oldest "INDEPENDANT genre festival".

-- The dates are so close together (a couple of weeks), that it really doesn't pay to quibble anyway. Both should be proud of their heritage.

-- Lastly, if we really want to nitpick, I would guess from that press release in the link provided, the Cleveland Marathon was announced shortly before the event (almost certainly after Xmas break ended in January 1976). I'm pretty sure the Orson Welles Marathon in Boston was announced in December 1975, but would love to see any documentation.

pogo wrote on Feb 26th, 2012 at 11:10pm:
On another thread I questioned whether the Boston Marathon was indeed the longest continuous genre marathon, since Cleveland had their 37th Annual this year before Boston.
Well I did some research. Cleveland's first was January 30, 1976. So unless Boston has moved it's date from Prez Day weekend, it does indeed have primacy.
Here's the proof: http://blog.case.edu/archives/2011/01/14/science_fiction_film_marathon
Cheers from Cleveland

« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2012 at 2:07pm by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Feb 27th, 2012 at 12:46am

Metaluna   Offline

L.A. Connection wrote on Feb 27th, 2012 at 12:32am:
-- Lastly, if we really want to nitpick, I would guess from that press release in the link provided, the Cleveland Marathon was announced shortly before the event (almost certainly after Xmas break ended in January 1976). I'm pretty sure the Orson Welles Marathon in Boston was announced in December 1975...

Cleveland is Rosie Ruiz! Grin

"MAKE ME A SERGEANT, CHARGE THE BOOZE!"
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Feb 27th, 2012 at 7:51am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Congrats to CWRU.  Apparently, you are the longest running.  Whether it is by a day or 2 to 3 weeks.  Regardless of the date of the announcement, you screened first.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Feb 27th, 2012 at 8:51am

kirok   Offline
God Member

we can ignore ohio, they are in flyover country.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Feb 27th, 2012 at 12:15pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

METALUNA:
Quote:
Cleveland is Rosie Ruiz!

There's something I still don't understand. The text reads "This modest press release from 1976..." but nothing older than the flier with "12th annual 1987" in the upper right is available. Where are the older fliers, tickets, event pictures, programs and other historic documents? How many people attended the CWRU Marathon and lived?

Their own site gives almost no details and doesen't give an actual January date for its earlier Marathons:

http://films.cwru.edu/marathon.html

In fact their historic document reminds me of the one in "Galaxy Quest"!

If they were to counter and say that there is no such place in Cambridge as the "Orson Welles" and the whole popcorn machine fire story was fishy, we could produce all kinds of evidence. Heck, Major Tom is probably still being treated for PTSD after the MLO invasion!

I want to see afadavits from paritcipants! I want to see the t-shirt! Wink

RF (tongue firmly planted in cheek.)

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Feb 27th, 2012 at 4:27pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

RFF,
From showing Logan's Rum on several occasions we have learned how to dispatch with inconvenient memories.
Also note that the above claim was made by an independent researcher (me) and not anyone officially connected to the CWRU fest.
As  Frank & the LA Conn.  point out with both nitpicking and mutual congratulations, celebration that both festivals have endured are definitely in order.
Of course the important point is that we share the taste, refinement, and lack of anything better to do with our time to occasion such a long standing efforts.
And Kirok, If you think that Cleveland is in flyover country, just think of those Johnny Come Lateleys in Columbus.
Cheers from Cleveland.
_
« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2012 at 10:41am by pogo »  

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #7 - Feb 27th, 2012 at 7:40pm

Joe Neff   Offline

pogo wrote on Feb 27th, 2012 at 4:27pm:
And Kirok, If you think that Cleveland is in flyover country, just think of those Johnny Come Lateleys in Columbus.

Hey now!  Them's fightin' words!

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Feb 28th, 2012 at 10:51am

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Sorry Joe,
I am sure that you understand that one has to put things in simple terms when talking to Bostonians. They are so deluged with stimuli that you can only talk to them through their assumptions. They have really no way to understand the inherent superiority of a Midwestern lifestyle. Cool
Also I am by adoption a Clevelander. If I couldn't make fun of (pick one: Pittsburgh, Columbus, Indiana,  Buffalo, ) I wouldn't have anything to feel superior to. You can only talk the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame so many times.
Cheers from Beautiful Cleveland.

« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2012 at 2:07pm by L.A. Connection »  

IP Logged