WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Ghosts of Marathons Past - Earlier Films, Years (Read 69102 times)
Reply #15 - May 15th, 2013 at 8:26pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on May 15th, 2013 at 3:22pm:
Pretty remarkable relic. A free tie-in giveaway by Howard Johnson's pitching 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY! And, yes, it's a naive as you might think. The whole comic is worth checking out here:

http://dreamsofspace.blogspot.de/2013/05/2001-space-odyssey-howard-johnsons.html

But, here's a sample (I love the description, "...One of the rescue pods is quickly launched" 2001 may be a lot of cool things, but, NOTHING in it happens "quickly"!!!!)

[img]

Its attached to the CHILDRENS MENU?!?

"Debbie look! It's a galaxy in outer space!"

All in all though an interesting find.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #16 - May 15th, 2013 at 10:09pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

"don't giveaway the ending"
when i saw it in 68 the entire audience walked out and said "what the heck does it mean?"

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #17 - May 15th, 2013 at 11:54pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Yup, children's menu! You gotta wonder if anybody at Ho Jo's even saw the film before agreeing to the campaign! I'm sure there were a few confused kids who went expecting something like STAR TREK or even LOST IN SPACE and got 2001 instead! Then again, a couple might have gotten their minds sufficiently blown that they ended up working for NASA or something!

And, I actually was a bit surprised to see the 'spoilers' explaining the alien connection and all. I bet one or two kids pointed that out to their confused parents: "See Dad, it's simple, the moon signal was sent by aliens!"

IP Logged

Reply #18 - May 23rd, 2013 at 8:52am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Ready for another "reboot"? How about the perfectly mediocre (although, somewhat entertaining) SF/21 entry TIMECOP?

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Timecop-Being-Rebooted-Jean-Claude-Van-Damme-3770...

IP Logged

Reply #19 - Jun 8th, 2013 at 2:16am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

WIZARD OF SPEED AND TIME came up on a cool blog: http://rupertpupkinspeaks.blogspot.com/2013/06/favorite-underrated-comedies-aj-h...

Found the original 3 minute short on youtube. I think some of the shots were used in the feature as well. It captures the charm of the movie in just a few short minutes. Too bad, Jittlov seems to have dropped off the face of the earth.

IP Logged

Reply #20 - Jun 8th, 2013 at 7:32pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Jun 8th, 2013 at 2:16am:
WIZARD OF SPEED AND TIME came up on a cool blog: http://rupertpupkinspeaks.blogspot.com/2013/06/favorite-underrated-comedies-aj-h...

Found the original 3 minute short on youtube. I think some of the shots were used in the feature as well. It captures the charm of the movie in just a few short minutes. Too bad, Jittlov seems to have dropped off the face of the earth.

Vanished but not forgotten.
This was made by fans in Japan as an opening film for a convention, and as an animated tribute to the original wizard.

I fell in love with the original short more than 30 years ago when I caught it at the much missed 'Off The Wall' coffeehouse.

IP Logged

Reply #21 - Jun 9th, 2013 at 3:09pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I actually spoke with Mike Jittlov a couple of times after the marathon (he was in the phone book!). But, you could sense his nervousness and privacy, so we didn't stay in touch.

According to IMDb, Jittlov did some effects work for a few years. He has one of those 'zombie' websites (wizworld.com) that hasn't been updated in years. I know some folks who have tried to get in touch with him, but, he seems to be one of those tortured artist types.

But, his WIZARD OF SPEED & TIME short and feature live on. One of the nice hidden nuggets in Marathon history, too.

P.S. The theater in the trailer, The Clinton, is long closed, but it used to run double features, including the most bizarre one I ever saw:

Michael Caine's Oscar Nominated performance in the sweet EDUCATING RITA

with.....

Lucio Fulci's gory horror film, THE BEYOND (aka Seven Doors of Death)!

Have NO idea how that double feature came about...

Here's the great trailer:

da_Bunnyman wrote on Jun 8th, 2013 at 7:32pm:

This was made by fans in Japan as an opening film for a convention, and as an animated tribute to the original wizard.

I fell in love with the original short more than 30 years ago when I caught it at the much missed 'Off The Wall' coffeehouse.

IP Logged

Reply #22 - Jul 3rd, 2013 at 3:35am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Interesting piece by one of the Producers of Carpenter's THE THING (aka The Most Overrated SF Film Ever). Interestingly, it seems as though I actually agree with Carpenter's assessment of the film when he first saw a rough cut of it:

"The movie didn't work. Lacking the location footage and many special effects he found the cut to be long, dull, and, above all, lacking in tension - his biggest fear. The early scenes with the men were endlessly repetitive and dragged on forever. Most of the byplay and humor fell flat. The film felt formless and just seemed to drift along, with no one character breaking out of the pack to drive the action..."

As you will read in the article, Carpenter edited & tweeked the film and added a few scenes and shots, but, I still think his original assessment was spot on.

http://theoriginalfan.blogspot.com/2013/06/when-thing-became-john-carpenters-thi...

« Last Edit: Jul 3rd, 2013 at 11:42am by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #23 - Jul 3rd, 2013 at 6:29am

kirok   Offline
God Member

L.A. Connection wrote on Jun 9th, 2013 at 3:09pm:
I actually spoke with Mike Jittlov a couple of times after the marathon (he was in the phone book!). But, you could sense his nervousness and privacy, so we didn't stay in touch.

According to IMDb, Jittlov did some effects work for a few years. He has one of those 'zombie' websites (wizworld.com) that hasn't been updated in years. I know some folks who have tried to get in touch with him, but, he seems to be one of those tortured artist types.

But, his WIZARD OF SPEED & TIME short and feature live on. One of the nice hidden nuggets in Marathon history, too.

P.S. The theater in the trailer, The Clinton, is long closed, but it used to run double features, including the most bizarre one I ever saw:

Michael Caine's Oscar Nominated performance in the sweet EDUCATING RITA

with.....

Lucio Fulci's gory horror film, THE BEYOND (aka Seven Doors of Death)!

Have NO idea how that double feature came about...

Here's the great trailer:

da_Bunnyman wrote on Jun 8th, 2013 at 7:32pm:

can someone find angelique pettyjohn in this? she was the bikini clad throll in "gamesters of triskellion"

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #24 - Jan 26th, 2014 at 11:15pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

THE QUIET EARTH was just named one of the 10 Best New Zealand Films of all time by the locals. QUIET EARTH has played the Marathon twice - 1st right after its brief theatrical release at SF/11 (the last at the Orson Welles) and then again three years ago. It still holds up! http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/film/9642284/Kiwis-pick-their-favourite-mov...

IP Logged

Reply #25 - Jan 28th, 2014 at 9:07am

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Behold!
The SF2 marathons famous lost film.
Lost in the sense it seems to have vanished and no prints can be located for a DVD or cable release.
God knows we've had enough films lost in transit TO the marathon, this is one that vanished afterwards and now shows up on lists of lost films.
Maybe not as high on the lists as London After Midnight or Convention City, but it's there.

Behold "Hu-Man"

The only film I can remember being treated as a sneak preview at it's showing, we were asked to fill out comment cards on it.
It never opened in the Boston area for a regular run and from what I've read played very few cities ever.
Today it might go over at the festival but was way too arty for the thon.
Particularly annoying was its habit of a characters dialogue being repeated in a screaming whiny voice as a time distortion effect (I guess.)

Interesting source article here.
http://io9.com/5877874/lost-films

IP Logged

Reply #26 - Jan 29th, 2014 at 10:52pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Soooooo jealous that it was before my Marathon time! It indeed has become one of 70s cinema's most obscure titles. A few clips showed up on French TV a few years ago, so hopefully that means it still exists!

And, for anybody interested in Marathon memorabilia, check out Da Bunnyman's collection:

http://sf.theboard.net/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1334368597

da_Bunnyman wrote on Jan 28th, 2014 at 9:07am:
Behold!
The SF2 marathons famous lost film.
Lost in the sense it seems to have vanished and no prints can be located for a DVD or cable release.
God knows we've had enough films lost in transit TO the marathon, this is one that vanished afterwards and now shows up on lists of lost films.
Maybe not as high on the lists as London After Midnight or Convention City, but it's there.

Behold "Hu-Man"

[img]

The only film I can remember being treated as a sneak preview at it's showing, we were asked to fill out comment cards on it.
It never opened in the Boston area for a regular run and from what I've read played very few cities ever.
Today it might go over at the festival but was way too arty for the thon.
Particularly annoying was its habit of a characters dialogue being repeated in a screaming whiny voice as a time distortion effect (I guess.)

Interesting source article here.
http://io9.com/5877874/lost-films

IP Logged

Reply #27 - Feb 15th, 2014 at 7:17pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

This year's lineup promises lots of excitement!
Just like the 38 years before it....well, almost. Wink

By the way, who was it that talked Garen into running "Terminal Man"?

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #28 - Feb 27th, 2014 at 9:03am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Nice piece on three time Marathon film, I MARRIED A MONSTER FROM OUTER SPACE:

http://blackholereviews.blogspot.com/2014/02/i-married-monster-from-outer-space-...

IP Logged

Reply #29 - Feb 27th, 2014 at 12:46pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

L.A. Connection wrote on Feb 27th, 2014 at 9:03am:
Nice piece on three time Marathon film, I MARRIED A MONSTER FROM OUTER SPACE:

http://blackholereviews.blogspot.com/2014/02/i-married-monster-from-outer-space-...

[img]

It’s a terrific movie and one of the chief reasons why I attended my first marathon, SF3.  I missed seeing this one in my youth and was determined to catch up with it as the look of the aliens always fascinated me.  I have watched it dozens of times since then and I like to say that had Douglas Sirk directed a science fiction movie it would have been much like IMAMFOS. 
***********SPOILER****************
An alien race has lost its’ females and they are looking for a way to carry on the race by attempting to mate with earth women.  They slowly begin to abduct and impersonate the human males through a combination of a weird cloud and some sort of transference device that allows them to copy the humans.  They take over the body of a character (played by Tom Tryon). He is engaged to marry the heroine (played by Gloria Talbot – stalwart 50’s science fiction female lead).  Their plan to propagate the race through human females is not working.  They are unable to get the earth women pregnant.  Gloria Talbot’s character soon catches on that something is very wrong and her alien husband reveals the plot to her.  She tries to get help but quite a bit f the town has been duplicated.  Themes of sexual repression, frigidity and rape are touched upon but never explored (after all, this was the 50’s). 
The town itself is populated with all manner of sordid and unsavory types.  There is a cheapness and squalor in the downtown area.  Nasty, angry men and women all on the make for something or other populate the town.  Underneath the shiny suburban exterior, this is not a pleasant burg, by any means.   
The plight of the aliens is not ignored either and there is a touching moment wherein one of the aliens in its’ true form is looking through a store front window at a child’s baby doll and you can sense the desperation in the race as they approach extinction. 
The cast is uniformly solid in this low budget affair.  The budget is low but the few effects are mostly well done.  The ray guns and transmitter devices are very effective as are the devices that hold the hosts in suspended animation.  The lighting is top notch for setting the mood.  The entire town feels unfriendly and folks appear cold and calculating.  The sense of formless fear and menace is palpable. 

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5