WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
spotted at the marathon (Read 15027 times)
Feb 20th, 2012 at 4:42pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

the american delegate in 'war of the satelites' was inspector henderson in tv's original superman.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Feb 22nd, 2012 at 5:09pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

You've just got to start with the legendary Roger Corman...it seems everybody worked for Roger, some worked for him a lot! War of the Satellites was hopping with them:

Dick Miller was last seen at the Thon (I think) in "Night of The Creeps" He was in charge of the police weapons locker when Corman U. was attacked by zombies..."I can't just give you a flamethrower...oh, hell why not!"

Susan Cabot: Boston native, played "The Wasp Woman" for Corman.

Richard Devon was in 'Battle of Blood Island" as part of Corman's famous "three movies at once" feat in Puerto Rico, which also produced last year's red menace "The Last Woman on Earth".

Bruno DeSota: will be recognized by MST3K fans, as the heavy set, bald grocer in "Attack of The Giant Leeches". He also worked for Roger and, by default, MST in "Wasp Woman" "Bucket of Blood", "The Undead", "Daddy-O"...

"Do a good job here and you'll never have to work for me again." said Roger Corman who, himself was doing the countdown from a desk in mission conrol. I guess he broke his own rule. Wink

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Feb 22nd, 2012 at 11:20pm

Metaluna   Offline

I spotted someone trying to give away fruit and realized it must be our newest friend from Ohio, Pogo! I am glad you made it. Can't wait to hear how our marathon looks from your perspective.

"MAKE ME A SERGEANT, CHARGE THE BOOZE!"
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Feb 22nd, 2012 at 11:30pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

ahem. one of the halucinating gaurds in scanners was i believe the same actor who was richard gere's friend in "an officer and a gentleman"

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Feb 23rd, 2012 at 12:20am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

kirok wrote on Feb 22nd, 2012 at 11:30pm:
ahem. one of the halucinating gaurds in scanners was i believe the same actor who was richard gere's friend in "an officer and a gentleman"

If you mean David Keith, that was not him....

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Feb 23rd, 2012 at 5:39pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

Frank wrote on Feb 23rd, 2012 at 12:20am:

you are right. but the guy in scanners is a david keith seperated at birth shoe in.
jump to 2:50
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=scanners+part+9&view=detail&mid=016A388F6812...

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Feb 23rd, 2012 at 8:16pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

kirok wrote on Feb 23rd, 2012 at 5:39pm:

you are right. but the guy in scanners is a david keith seperated at birth shoe in.
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=scanners+part+9&view=detail&mid=016A388F6812...

Stop putting off that eye exam.  The long shot shows a barely passing resemblance.  Any closer and no way.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #7 - Feb 23rd, 2012 at 10:08pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

metaluna,
Yeah, I was the fruity guy. Funny thing. People waiting for the show in Cleveland are calmer, appreciate things like a fruit toss (I've done basketfulls there.) and generally are much more laid back.
People at the Boston Thon are a lot more full of themselves. They were intensely friendly to a Boston Newbie - but everyone at the Somerville seemed to have an agenda & not want to slow down.
A positive aspect of that was that they were there for FILMS  and paid better attention. Where in Cleveland there are usually half a dozen people who I would cheerfully throttle because they don't shut up during showings, in Boston there was only one (There can be only - - -?)
Luckily his major beef was hatred for the last film (which I also mildly detested) so the pain was fleeting.
The whole structure is different.  Boston  is much more a fannish event where Cleveland is a film showing.
Cleveland's selectors are just as considered in the choice of films (at least historically) but fewer attendees are  interested in the uniqueness of older stuff.
The differences would be easy to stereotype as the difference between the cities.
Of course the similarities do outweigh the above stated tendencies. Two theaters of SF film nerds share basic similarities of look, attitude &  culture.
Anyway. Thanks for the hospitality. It will be interesting to go to Columbus to see a third setup and crowd.
Cheers from Cleveland

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #8 - Feb 23rd, 2012 at 10:36pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

Frank wrote on Feb 23rd, 2012 at 8:16pm:

Stop putting off that eye exam.  The long shot shows a barely passing resemblance.  Any closer and no way.

sigh. i guess i'll have to get 2 stills side by side and this will finally be resolved.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #9 - Feb 23rd, 2012 at 11:08pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Nice to make your acquaintance at the Marathon!

Like to read your full comments about this year's Marathon in our reaction thread: http://sf.theboard.net/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1329592572/0#0

And don't forget:
KEEP POSTING!

pogo wrote on Feb 23rd, 2012 at 10:08pm:
metaluna,
Yeah, I was the fruity guy. Funny thing. People waiting for the show in Cleveland are calmer, appreciate things like a fruit toss (I've done basketfulls there.) and generally are much more laid back.
People at the Boston Thon are a lot more full of themselves. They were intensely friendly to a Boston Newbie - but everyone at the Somerville seemed to have an agenda & not want to slow down.
A positive aspect of that was that they were there for FILMS  and paid better attention. Where in Cleveland there are usually half a dozen people who I would cheerfully throttle because they don't shut up during showings, in Boston there was only one (There can be only - - -?)
Luckily his major beef was hatred for the last film (which I also mildly detested) so the pain was fleeting.
The whole structure is different.  Boston  is much more a fannish event where Cleveland is a film showing.
Cleveland's selectors are just as considered in the choice of films (at least historically) but fewer attendees are  interested in the uniqueness of older stuff.
The differences would be easy to stereotype as the difference between the cities.
Of course the similarities do outweigh the above stated tendencies. Two theaters of SF film nerds share basic similarities of look, attitude &  culture.
Anyway. Thanks for the hospitality. It will be interesting to go to Columbus to see a third setup and crowd.
Cheers from Cleveland

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Feb 24th, 2012 at 1:12am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Thanks for coming up and introducing yourself.  You must have been out of fruit by then.  Grin  Anyway, keep posting and maybe someday I will make the trek out there.  Good luck to your daughter at grad school.

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Feb 26th, 2012 at 8:32pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

kirok wrote on Feb 23rd, 2012 at 10:36pm:
Frank wrote on Feb 23rd, 2012 at 8:16pm:

sigh. i guess i'll have to get 2 stills side by side and this will finally be resolved.

seperated at birth. hallucinating gaurd from scanners and david kieth.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #12 - Feb 26th, 2012 at 9:23pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Nope!  And you had all this time too.... Two guys with brown hair, clean shaven and approximately the same age.

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Feb 28th, 2012 at 9:30pm

ed symkus   Offline
SF Rocks

Before we get totally off the Corman track, let's not forget that nice ripple that went through the audience when he, too, showed up in "War of the Satellites" for a few minutes. He's listed on IMDB as playing "Ground Control." Did you catch that, Major Tom?

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Feb 28th, 2012 at 10:59pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

ed symkus wrote on Feb 28th, 2012 at 9:30pm:
Before we get totally off the Corman track, let's not forget that nice ripple that went through the audience when he, too, showed up in "War of the Satellites" for a few minutes. He's listed on IMDB as playing "Ground Control." Did you catch that, Major Tom?

Always great to see Roger.  War of the Satellites was a pretty big part for him in one of his own features.  One of my favorite cameos is in Dante's The Howling when Roger is seen entering a phone booth and checking the coin return for change.  Several of the directors that started with him use him in cameos.  Ron Howard, Jonathan Demme, Francis Ford Coppola have all used him in cameos.   

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2