WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
SF/37 Marathon in Review (Read 74310 times)
Reply #60 - Mar 6th, 2012 at 12:06pm

Caleb451   Offline
NYC

L.A. Connection wrote on Mar 6th, 2012 at 12:00pm:
Alright, beyond the obvious FOLKLORE, what was the one or two OTHER FILMS ON THIS YEAR'S SCHEDULE YOU WOULDN'T HAVE MINDED TO SEE DROPPED???

Cowboy Beebop.

Dinner break? What's a dinner break?
IP Logged

Reply #61 - Mar 6th, 2012 at 12:19pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

Frank wrote on Mar 5th, 2012 at 4:07pm:
Gonad worked.  

that's Zonad Frank.
@caleb. delete mission galactica of course. next cowboy bebop.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #62 - Mar 6th, 2012 at 12:23pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

Pretty much just GALACTICA; this was a really solid line-up.  I did duck out to find some pizza at DIMENSIONS's start time, as I had seen it the night before.

If scheduling were on me, I would have pulled the last two movies, added some shorts and 10 minutes to stretch in ENDHIRAN, and used THE LAST PUSH or PAUL as the finale, with PUSH replacing FOLKLORE in the line-up regardless.

IP Logged

Reply #63 - Mar 6th, 2012 at 8:54pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

GONAD is a better title!  Cheesy

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA wasn't a bad choice in and of itself. I had a lot of fun with the original film the previous year. We just didn't needed to see this follow-up film the very next year.

SCANNERS is a good film - but 3 straight years of Cronenberg was too much as well. Oh well, let's enjoy THEY CAME FROM WITHIN/SHIVERS around 3 am next February.... Roll Eyes

kirok wrote on Mar 6th, 2012 at 12:19pm:
Gonad worked.  

that's Zonad Frank.

IP Logged

Reply #64 - Mar 6th, 2012 at 9:06pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

No such thing as too much Cronenberg - I say we get his son Brandon's Antiviral for next year!

IP Logged

Reply #65 - Mar 6th, 2012 at 9:21pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

L.A. Connection wrote on Mar 6th, 2012 at 8:54pm:
GONAD is a better title!  Cheesy

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA wasn't a bad choice in and of itself. I had a lot of fun with the original film the previous year. We just didn't needed to see this follow-up film the very next year.

SCANNERS is a good film - but 3 straight years of Cronenberg was too much as well. Oh well, let's enjoy THEY CAME FROM WITHIN/SHIVERS around 3 am next February.... Roll Eyes

[img]

kirok wrote on Mar 6th, 2012 at 12:19pm:
Gonad worked.  

that's Zonad Frank.

I actually stole that from LA who referred to it as Gonad in a PM last year.  I actually liked the movie but I thought Gonad a much better title.  What is the problem, does Gonad detract from the important message that is at the core of the movie.  Grin

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #66 - Mar 11th, 2012 at 3:31pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

My apologies for taking so long to do a full recap. Work, travel, life, etc etc.

Again, want to express my heartfelt THANK YOU to everybody who helped put this show together. There are so many 'invisible' folks who work very hard to make this happen - the Acknowledgments on the back page of the Program only scratches the surface.

For me, this was a good schedule this year - with reservations. There were a number of very fine selections, along with 2 or 3 questionable ones which kind of drag the average down a bit. And, if there is such a thing as - too much of a good thing - this year exemplified that. We went nearly an hour over schedule and still had no time for real breaks, a longer Q & A with the DIMENSIONS folks or just to stretch your legs and chat with the folks in the theater. Just one fewer feature would have had a multiplying affect on enjoying the event.

On to the films.........

TRAILER REEL - Another victim of the too tight line-up is that we had to drop a 2nd trailer reel from our Ohio master - Bruce Bartoo. What trailers DID appear in the pre-show: THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW,PANIC IN YEAR ZERO,THE STAND,12 MONKEYS, THE WORLD, THE FLESH AND THE DEVIL, no loud talking PSA & THE QUIET EARTH.

RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES - After our tribute to the Atomic Fireballs creator and the 'Never gets Old' DUCK DODGERS, on to our first film. RISE held up well on second viewing. Too much happens too quickly, and there are too many too convenient plot twists, but this is a smart re-boot even if it still doesn't hold a candle to the 1968 original. And, I re-iterate that anyone who hasn't seen the fine 2011 documentary PROJECT NIM should really do so. An obvious influence on this film.

BRAINSTORM - No film on the schedule did I look more forward to, no film frustrated me more. Parts of the movie hold up incredibly well as a thoughtful and exciting piece of hard SF, others parts are creaky. Douglas Trumbull is one of cinema's true visionaries, but a smooth Director he ain't. As in SILENT RUNNING, the ideas and visuals outstrip his ability to do them full justice. Still, BRAINSTORM has more solid ideas than 99% of SF films even attempt. The film is caught in odd catch 22 - it's technology has been both long since been surpassed (the mylar tape & laser show!), and, in other areas, not reached yet (true emotions and senses transmitted via VR). I also love that this is a film in love with Science, from the gadgets to the photos of Einstein to the self-sacrifice of the wonderful Louise Fletcher, this is a movie that celebrates the world of knowledge. And, damn, was Christopher Walken that off-the-wall even then!!?? Sadly, poor Natalie Wood looked very tired. My other quibble is that the sound was way too soft (a problem all the Mono films seemed to have) - I often strained to hear the dialogue. Sure, a semi-mythical 70mm print with Stereo surround sound would have been great, but just pumping up the sound levels would have increased my enjoyment tremendously.

WAR OF THE SATELLITES - A nice print for a better than expected Corman quickie. The audience seemed to have fun with it, not just at it.

ENDHIRAN - Or, should it be "ENDURE-AN"? A true highlight of the Marathon, even if it did tax one's patience at times. This is like a first film in a series AND it's sequel all in one. Again, the too loaded line-up didn't allow for the Intermission to be more than a 2 second card on screen - it really would have helped to have a 10 minute break, no? The loopy songs have a lot of energy even if you have to wonder about the subtitle translations - "Your stomach is like a baby's chair"?!! But, it doesn't hurt to have to stare at Aishwarya Rai for 3 hours. As a movie, it's only fair - but, this was an experience.

DIMENSIONS - A not bad Premiere. It's the kind of film you want to like better. The good intentions are there. A decently mounted low-budget period piece. But, the script was too slow in getting going, and once it gets there, you sorta just shrug. Earnest, but minor.

ATTACK THE BLOCK - Dinner break at Joshua Tree. Having seen this with Edgar Wright and Joe Cornish in person, it was the one to skip. Came back for the last reel or so, and it seemed to please the Marathoners.

ISLAND OF LOST SOULS - Glad this is an improved print from the one I saw several years ago. This film really holds up. I absolutely adore Charles Laughton's ripe performance and Kathleen Burke's Panther Woman creeps me out every time. Too bad a handful of yahoos took one look at the Black & White upon the screen and decided it was cool to start up a Mystery Science Theater 3K session - luckily, they were mostly shouted down. One of the few 30s Horror films that really gets to you after all these years (FREAKS is another).

SCANNERS - I have to admit I agree with Metaluna and others, that some of these early Cronenberg's don't hold up as well as you would like. Cronenberg has gone on to be one of our best filmmakers (A DANGEROUS METHOD is one of the better films of last year), but, his earliest films find him reaching for a maturity and style. Of course, all of the filmmakers who were influenced by him have dulled the shock value they once had as well (not to mention showing Cronenberg 3 straight years now at the 'Thon). SCANNERS still works as a whole, and there are a number of good ideas and Michael Ironside is terrific. Unfortunately, the lead, Stephen Lack, lives down to his surname and drags the film down with him at times. Ironside is so much more magnetic.

BAMBI MEETS GODZILLA - Ah, brevity is the soul of wit.

FRANKENSTEIN - Unfortunately, my utter adoration of BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN has always put this '31 original in its shadow. But, I have to say, it quite impressed me this time around. Although I still don't agree, I won't be so quick next time when someone says they prefer this to the more rococo BRIDE. Stark, expressionistic and truly landmark, it is remarkable that 80+ years on, how it still holds up as the virtual blueprint for the horror genre, such as..........

RE-ANIMATOR - Sort of the naughty bad-boy FRANKENSTEIN, Stuart Gordon's still taboo-breaking schlocker was a lot of middle-of-the-night fun. I took especially sadistic glee in hearing a young woman seated behind me, grimace, "WHAT are we watching!!!?" Gleefully nasty.

COWBOY BEBOP: THE MOVIE - A curious selection for this year's line-up, but not too bad even if it's 116 minute running time is too much for the uninitiated. Those who argue that some familiarity with the comics or the shorts isn't necessary are too familiar with them to know better. I never quite got into the storyline, but the vibe, music and visuals were mildly entertaining.

PAUL - As soon as I heard the one line synopsis of this last spring, I thought it would be a perfect fit for this crowd and lobbied for it. The audience did eat this up. It's hardly a great film -- there's a whole lotta lazy and messy scripting going on (a bit of foul cursing goes a long way, but, when you have even 69 yr. old Blythe Danner dropping F-Bombs it kinda delutes the impact) -- but, this was prime Marathon viewing. It should have been the closing film (and was on my original scheduling), but, we still had........

MISSION GALACTICA: THE CYLON ATTACK - I had a lot of retro cheez fun last year with the BATTLESTAR GALACTICA pilot film. But, like the ill-fated THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO! back to back experiment (which got worse when the sequel didn't show up and we instead got the same movie again!!), why piggy-back on what was, at best, lazy nostalgia?? Having said that, the print was nice (though not as outstanding as David K advertised), Lloyd Bridges & Lorne Greene were solid rivals and it's painless enough (Except for the 108 minute running time. Also, this had the same dull too soft sound problem as BRAINSTORM).

FOLKLORE - We've beaten these filmmakers pretty badly here. Sure, the film stinks. It doesn't....work...at...all. It does look like a bunch of folks got together at a Comic Con and said, "Hey, we got some costumes - let's make a movie!" Still, they got the movie made, there are some very very sporadic decent bits in it, and they obviously had their heart in it. Showing this at the very end did it no favors, but it never would have worked with this crowd. It's ineptitude makes any meaningful dissection superfluous, but a couple of points: 1. Couldn't they have at least tried and put a few crew members in the background of the main office set??!! It looked like what it was - an EMPTY building! 2. More to the point, we never are given any reason to believe than ANY of these 'Folklore' creatures are anything but delusional humans. The budget was tight, but geez at least try to convince us! If it had been flipped with DIMENSIONS, at least people could have had dinner, I suppose.

All in all, a pretty good time. Ed did a good job with the (too rushed) Trivia Contest, but the the other contests were....unmemorable. Ending with PAUL (as a number of people apparently did do!) would have left the crowd with a better feeling.

Darn, we have to wait an extra day this year for the next one!

Cool Cool

« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2012 at 4:54pm by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #67 - Mar 11th, 2012 at 6:03pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

after an appropriate waiting period i would like to voice a complaint. the audience and i had to endure not one but two political rants from marathon personel. dave the projectionist chose to use his brief speech regarding print quality as a platform for his sarah palin hate. then ed symkus used the marathon trivia contest award ceremony to call mitt romney a robot. just remember the words of randy quaid in independence day: payback is a bitch.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #68 - Mar 11th, 2012 at 6:17pm

IamJacksUserID   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Ohio marathoner
Gilbert, AZ

L.A. Connection wrote on Mar 11th, 2012 at 3:31pm:
...there are some very very sporadic decent bits in it...

That's the blurb they should put on the poster

Bread makes you fat?!?
IP Logged

Reply #69 - Mar 11th, 2012 at 8:13pm

Metaluna   Offline

IamJacksUserID wrote on Mar 11th, 2012 at 6:17pm:
L.A. Connection wrote on Mar 11th, 2012 at 3:31pm:
...there are some very very sporadic decent bits in it...

That's the blurb they should put on the poster

End it with a "!" instead of a "." and it just might work. I am sure some people out there don't know what "sporadic" means.

"MAKE ME A SERGEANT, CHARGE THE BOOZE!"
IP Logged

Reply #70 - Mar 12th, 2012 at 11:41am

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Maybe this should be a separate section but I always look at the marathon films in different ways.
There are films I think we should not have run, like Cowboy Bebop
Films I'm glad we ran but could live without ever seeing again, like Galactica, Scanners
And films I liked and would not mind seeing again at a future marathon like Island of Lost Souls, and especially Paul.

Hmmm, maybe a section just on past marathon films that deserve a repeat showing?

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #71 - Mar 12th, 2012 at 7:24pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

My take a la Da Bunnyman on this year's lineup:

RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES - Worth showing
BRAINSTORM - If the semi-mythical 70mm print shows up, it may be worth reconsidering down the road
WAR OF THE SATELLITES - a nice bit of arcana
ENDHIRAN - Enjoyed it, but it would never work twice
DIMENSIONS - thanks to Ms.U'ren and Mr. Neely for coming
ATTACK THE BLOCK - worked for this crowd
PAUL - ditto
SCANNERS - Cronenberg needs a hiatus from the Marathon
ISLAND OF LOST SOULS - Worth repeating with decent intervals
FRANKENSTEIN - More for a semi-mythical regular Horror Marathon, but a definite treat this year
RE-ANIMATOR - showing it twice is enough for now, but it was a gnarly good time in the wee hours
COWBOY BEBOP - pass
MISSION GALACTICA - ditto
FOLKLORE - when hell freezes over!!

da_Bunnyman wrote on Mar 12th, 2012 at 11:41am:
Maybe this should be a separate section but I always look at the marathon films in different ways.
There are films I think we should not have run, like Cowboy Bebop
Films I'm glad we ran but could live without ever seeing again, like Galactica, Scanners
And films I liked and would not mind seeing again at a future marathon like Island of Lost Souls, and especially Paul.

Hmmm, maybe a section just on past marathon films that deserve a repeat showing?

IP Logged

Reply #72 - Mar 14th, 2012 at 9:20pm

ed symkus   Offline
SF Rocks

Kirok wrote: 
[after an appropriate waiting period i would like to voice a complaint. the audience and i had to endure not one but two political rants from marathon personel. dave the projectionist chose to use his brief speech regarding print quality as a platform for his sarah palin hate. then ed symkus used the marathon trivia contest award ceremony to call mitt romney a robot.]

Kirok -- Actually, I read that from someone's contest sheet. It made me laugh. Hey, I'm still laughing. HAR! HAR! HAR!

IP Logged

Reply #73 - Mar 21st, 2012 at 3:46pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

ed symkus wrote on Mar 14th, 2012 at 9:20pm:
Kirok wrote: 
[after an appropriate waiting period i would like to voice a complaint. the audience and i had to endure not one but two political rants from marathon personel. dave the projectionist chose to use his brief speech regarding print quality as a platform for his sarah palin hate. then ed symkus used the marathon trivia contest award ceremony to call mitt romney a robot.]

Kirok -- Actually, I read that from someone's contest sheet. It made me laugh. Hey, I'm still laughing. HAR! HAR! HAR!

so 5 or 6 years ago when the trivia contest had a finish the quote format and the partial quote was "get your stinking paws of me..." my responce was; "get your stinking paws off me President Clinton".
that's at least as funny as calling mitt a robot yet you chose not to read it.
p.s. for future reference, i don't care about getting a prize. a good audience reaction is enough for me.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #74 - Mar 22nd, 2012 at 11:53pm

Metaluna   Offline

da_Bunnyman wrote on Mar 12th, 2012 at 11:41am:

Know what I haven't seen in forever? Aliens. I don't think I've even seen it show up on cable any time in years. Maybe that will change now that Prometheus is coming out.

"MAKE ME A SERGEANT, CHARGE THE BOOZE!"
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6