WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Favorite Marathon/2000-present? (Read 14038 times)
Feb 15th, 2012 at 7:33pm

Joe Neff   Offline

So here's a question I posed (in a slightly different version)more than a few years back, in the hopes of it serving as the proverbial Marathon Rorschach Test.  Now that we're well into the 21st century, what's been your favorite Boston SF Marathon from 2000-present?

And no "I love 'em all" response, like the one proffered by Ed so many moons ago.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Feb 15th, 2012 at 7:38pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Joe Neff wrote on Feb 15th, 2012 at 7:33pm:
So here's a question I posed (in a slightly different version)more than a few years back, in the hopes of it serving as the proverbial Marathon Rorschach Test.  Now that we're well into the 21st century, what's been your favorite Boston SF Marathon from 2000-present?

And no "I love 'em all" response, like the one proffered by Ed so many moons ago.

Here are the films shown by year:

SF25 - 2000
27TH DAY
BRAZIL – Euro Cut
DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL
DEATH RACE 2000
EXISTENZ
INFRA-MAN
INVISIBLE MAN, THE
IRON GIANT
LOST PLANET-serial excerpts
MYSTERIOUS ISLAND (1961)
TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN
TRON

SF26 – 2001 Bad Girls from Outer Space
AMAZON WOMEN ON THE MOON
BARBARELLA
BATTLEFIELD EARTH
BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN
CAPTAIN VIDEO serial excerpts
GALAXINA
GALAXY QUEST
GODZILLA 2000
MAD MAX – Aus.Version
MISSILE TO THE MOON
SPECIES
TANK GIRL
TITAN A.E.
TREKKIES

SF27 - 2002
CREATURE WITH THE ATOM BRAIN
DOCTOR X
EVOLUTION
GODZILLA VS.DESTROYER
HAPPY ACCIDENTS
ICEMAN
INDEPENDENT, THE
LOST WORLD (1925)-restored w/Yakov Gubanov
OMEGA MAN
TERMINAL MAN
THESE ARE THE DAMNED - Restored
WAVE TWISTERS - short
X-MEN

SF28 - 2003
BRAIN FROM PLANET AROUS
DONNIE DARKO
EQUILIBRIUM
GROUNDHOG DAY
INVADERS FROM MARS (1953)
INVISIBLE BOY, THE
METROPOLIS-Restored
MINORITY REPORT
PLANET OF THE VAMPIRES - restored
SCREAMERS
SECONDS
SH! THE OCTOPUS
VALLEY OF GWANGI

SF29 - 2004
28 DAYS LATER
ADVENTURES OF CAPTAIN MARVEL (SERIAL) CHAPTERS 11&12
ALIEN-DIRECTOR’S CUT
AMAZING TRANSPARENT MAN
DEMONLOVER
DISH, THE
GIANT CLAW, THE
GODZILLA VS. MEGAGUIRUS
HAVE ROCKET, WILL TRAVEL
INCUBUS
MATRIX, THE
MUTINY IN OUTER SPACE
ROBOT STORIES
SPACE PATROL (German)

SF30 - 2005
APPLE, THE
CHARLY
EARTH VS. THE FLYING SAUCERS
FORGOTTEN, THE
GODZILLA (1956/Japanese version)
INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (1956)
PLANET OF THE APES
PRIMER
SKY CAPTAIN & THE WORLD OF TOMORROW
STARSHIP TROOPERS 2
SUPERMAN THE MOVIE
THX 1138 – DIRECTOR’S CUT
TIME MACHINE

SF31 – 2006 Apes
12 MONKEYS
ADVENTURES OF BUCKAROO BANZAI
ANDROID
BATMAN (1943 SERIAL) (EPISODES)
CRAZIES, THE (1973)
EIGHT LEGGED-FREAKS
FIRE MAIDENS FROM OUTER SPACE
KING KONG (1933)
KONGA
LAST MAN ON EARTH
NAKED MONSTER
SERENITY
STEAMBOY
TINGLER, THE

SF32 – 2007 Bots Over Boston
BLADE RUNNER
CHOPPING MALL
DARK STAR
FLASHGORDON – ROCKETSHIP
FORBIDDEN PLANET
FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE SPACE MONSTER
METROPOLIS (Anime, 2001)
MONSTER HOUSE
PUZZLEHEAD
ROBOCOP
STEPFORD WIVES, THE (1975)
TRAIL OF THE SCREAMING FOREHEAD

SF33 – 2008 The Future is Passe
1984 (1984)
2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY
BLACK SHEEP
BOY AND HIS DOG, A
CLOVERFIELD
EVER SINCE THE WORLD ENDED
IN THE SHADOW OF THE MOON
JOURNEY TO THE SEVENTH PLANET
KING DINOSAUR
LAST MIMZY
SOUND OF THUNDER, A
WAR OF THE WORLDS (1953)

SF34 - 2009
ALIEN RAIDERS
ALIEN TRESPASS
CHRYSALIS
I MARRIED A MONSTER FROM OUTER SPACE
INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (1978)
IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE IN 3-D!
KILLER KLOWNS FROM OUTER SPACE
LOGAN’S RUN
REPO MAN
RUNAWAY
STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN
THING, THE (1951)
TRANSFORMERS

SF35 - 2010
COLOSSUS: THE FORBIN PROJECT
DAY THE SKY EXPLODED
DISTRICT 9
FAMOUS MONSTER: FORREST J. ACKERMAN
GIANT GILA MONSTER
LABYRINTH
LATHE OF HEAVEN
MOON
NIGHT OF THE COMET
NIGHT OF THE CREEPS
RABID
SLEEP DEALER
THING, THE (1982)

SF/36 – 2011

STAR TREK
MONSTERS
THE HOST
THE QUIET EARTH
MOTHRA
20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA (silent w/music by Jeff Rapsis)
METROPIA
ZONAD
BATTLESTAR GALACTICA
MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3000: THE MOVIE
VIDEODROME
LAST WOMAN ON EARTH
LADY TERMINATOR

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Feb 15th, 2012 at 9:24pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Damn, this is a tough one.
I think I'm gonna go with SF28 because it had so many classic (and not so classic) older films including the return of Mark! in Planet of The Vampires and the very weird Sh! The Octopus.

They all did have something to remember for me.
SF25 The reaction at the end of The Iron Giant, silence accented by many sniffles of sadness, followed by an ovation as the credits started.   
SF26 Being amazed as Battlefield Earth unspooled for us, it was even worse than I remembered, this was made up for by enjoying Galaxy Quest with the marathon crowd.
SF27  Waiting for ANYTHING to happen in The Terminal Man.
SF29  A nostalgic return to the days of the marathon in 2 cinemas at the Dedham Community Theater, the never ending story of Demonlover where everyone seemed to speak a different language. Also the phrase "big as a battleship" describing the cosmic turkey in Giant Claw.
SF30 Was The Apple as mind numbingly bad as I recall? Also seeing Pleasure Island amusement park in Charly.
SF31 Buckaroo Banzai with the marathon crowd, bringing an audience together for all it's catchphrases.
SF32 The endless driving that is Frankenstein Meets the Space Monster along with old friend Forbidden Planet on the big screen again.
SF33 1984, memories of seeing it at the Welles.
SF34 Repo Man, truly a film of its era and a film with almost as many catchphrases as Buckaroo Banzai, plus Killer Klowns.
SF35 Seeing how technology has passed Colossus by, still a good film though.
SF36 Disappointed by the reaction to MST3K because so many of the crowd went off to dinner, and seeing 20,000 Leagues silent version which was a unique experience. Plus Zonad was really funny to end it.

Sorry, got carried away in replying.
Could have been worse, I could've gone back to SF1

Okay, on to SF37  Cool
« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2012 at 11:47pm by da_Bunnyman »  

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Feb 16th, 2012 at 4:14am

Lile   Offline
SF Rocks

SF 26 was a sentimental one for me,not because of the lineup but because my uncle,who was in the early stages of parkinsons,made it that year.Hard to pick on lineup,but I kinda like SF 34.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Mar 15th, 2012 at 11:03pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Though I should have by now, I still haven't gotten around to dissecting Joe's question.

I can say THIS however, this year's Marathon would not even be in the upper half of the post-2000 Marathons. Back to back GALACTICAs and back to back to back Cronenbergs, not to mention that FOLK- thingee.................

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Mar 15th, 2012 at 11:25pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

L.A. Connection wrote on Mar 15th, 2012 at 11:03pm:
Though I should have by now, I still haven't gotten around to dissecting Joe's question.

I can say THIS however, this year's Marathon would not even be in the upper half of the post-2000 Marathons. Back to back GALACTICAs and back to back to back Cronenbergs, not to mention that FOLK- thingee.................

I completely disagree.  Save for Folklore, and to a lesser degree Galactica, this one was definitely in the top half.  Cronenber would be super happy fun again next year.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Mar 16th, 2012 at 7:03am

Lile   Offline
SF Rocks

Frank wrote on Mar 15th, 2012 at 11:25pm:

I completely disagree.  Save for Folklore, and to a lesser degree Galactica, this one was definitely in the top half.  Cronenber would be super happy fun again next year. 

Gotta agree with Frank,this a strong 'thon.Could have ditched Galactica and I didn't dislike folklore as much as others.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Mar 16th, 2012 at 8:21am

kirok   Offline
God Member

Lile wrote on Mar 16th, 2012 at 7:03am:
Frank wrote on Mar 15th, 2012 at 11:25pm:

Gotta agree with Frank,this a strong 'thon.Could have ditched Galactica and I didn't dislike folklore as much as others.

the audience just was not hip this year. no good snarks, the ladies weren't hissing when an old movie took a sexist turn, there was no grrr rrr rrr. the audience thought it was hip when on about 5 occasions it would applaud in sympathy with on screen applause. that's just lame.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #8 - Mar 16th, 2012 at 4:12pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

I must be living my life backwards. Over the years I find myself less nostalgic for the Universal horror movies I saw late friday night, and the AIP sci-fi on saturday afternoon as a kid and am cherishing the experience of the new and the wierd. The list shows I've come to the right marathon!

Recent obscure films that I would never experience without the 'thon; like this year's "Robot Enhidran", and last year's "Zonad", really have become the best part for me.

Seeing "The Dish", "Robot Stories", "German Space Patrol" and Shatner's foreign language "Incubus" with Mrs F (her first) cancel out the pain that was "Demonlover", so SF 29 would be my favorite, were it not for the small screen and our misfortune of front corner seats at the Dedham.

With the exception of "The Omega Man" SF-27 was entirely new to me. Yes, it had "Terminal Man",  but having missed "Evolution", "Iceman" and "X-Men" in their general releases and always enjoying a live-music silent put that year out front. Add "Happy Accidents" and "The Independent" (Dad's biopic for those who haven't figured out where R_F_Fineman gets his moniker* .) plus that damned british movie, and you've got a truly great lineup. All that, plus it was the year the Coolidge finally fixed the men's room.

*Marathoids have asked me "Is R_F_Fineman a pseudonym?" ...No, I just made it up! Wink

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #9 - Mar 16th, 2012 at 4:30pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Kirok:
Quote:
the audience just was not hip this year. no good snarks,

NO good snarks?

"You Go to HELL!"

I heard a lot of good ones.

"Thank you vurrry much." Wink

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #10 - Mar 16th, 2012 at 7:22pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Yeah, the 2 years at the Dedham and the West Newton were the definite low points of my Marathon experiences.

No slight on our hosts at both places - they welcomed us with open arms and worked hard to please us - but, they were a big come-down after the Coolidge years.

It was kind of cool at the Dedham to try the interlock system where the prints actually cycled from one theater to the next (save for the unfortunate melting of a number of frames of the then brand new print of GIANT CLAW). The West Newton folks were extremely nice and wanted the Marathon relationship to be more than a one year wonder, but the screens were small and the low ceilings were claustrophobic.

That said, a number of fine Marathon choices were had those 2 years: German SPACE PATROL, INCUBUS, the long sought after original THE CRAZIES, Greg Park introducing ROBOT STORIES, ANDROID, LAST MAN ON EARTH etc. Not to mention the goofy charms of stuff like FIRE MAIDENS FROM OUTER SPACE, KONGA, THE TINGLER, THE GIANT CLAW etc.

R_F_Fineman wrote on Mar 16th, 2012 at 4:12pm:
...Seeing "The Dish", "Robot Stories", "German Space Patrol" and Shatner's foreign language "Incubus" with Mrs F (her first) cancel out the pain that was "Demonlover", so SF 29 would be my favorite, were it not for the small screen and our misfortune of front corner seats at the Dedham.

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Mar 16th, 2012 at 10:19pm

ed symkus   Offline
SF Rocks

I love 'em all. Wait, no, I don't. Damn!

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Mar 16th, 2012 at 11:45pm

Metaluna   Offline

R_F_Fineman wrote on Mar 16th, 2012 at 4:12pm:
*Marathoids have asked me "Is R_F_Fineman a pseudonym?" ...No, I just made it up! Wink 

It sounds like a homonym to me.

"MAKE ME A SERGEANT, CHARGE THE BOOZE!"
IP Logged

Reply #13 - Mar 17th, 2012 at 5:13pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Quote:
Posted by: Metaluna

Quote:
Posted on: Today at 12:45am
R_F_Fineman wrote Yesterday at 5:12pm:

*Marathoids have asked me "Is R_F_Fineman a pseudonym?" ...No, I just made it up!   

It sounds like a homonym to me.

It could be, I come from a long line of Hominids. Wink

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #14 - Mar 17th, 2012 at 6:19pm

Metaluna   Offline

R_F_Fineman wrote on Mar 17th, 2012 at 5:13pm:
It could be, I come from a long line of Hominids. Wink

Oh, do you know the Monsters from the Id?

"MAKE ME A SERGEANT, CHARGE THE BOOZE!"
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2