WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
What to bring to the 'thon (Read 37810 times)
Reply #15 - Feb 7th, 2012 at 8:51pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Okay, I admit that I do tend to over-pack for the marathon.
A sleeping bag for a good early morning nap in the balcony lobby.
A great army blanket to use when watching the movies.
A neck pillow
flashlight
ray-gun
pens (for the trivia quiz of course)

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #16 - Feb 8th, 2012 at 11:42am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Fran and I also bring a few bottles of water.  We prefer it to soda and juices and the like..... 

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #17 - Feb 8th, 2012 at 7:27pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

i'm working on the mark projector

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #18 - Feb 8th, 2012 at 8:26pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

kirok wrote on Feb 8th, 2012 at 7:27pm:
i'm working on the mark projector

So will that be the Mark 1 Mark Projector?

IP Logged

Reply #19 - Feb 9th, 2012 at 2:45pm

Stuart   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

I could have sworn that I already posted here....?

1. Rx medications and OTC pain relievers
2. Small neck pillow/lumbar support
3. Cash, credit card, driver's license
4. Antibacterial wipes and/or hand sanitizer
5. Toothbrush
6. Water bottle
7. Flashlight

IP Logged

Reply #20 - Feb 9th, 2012 at 4:27pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

Have attended the 36 hour Cleveland Marathon for 24 years, so am used to the long haul. There I bring fruit and other goodies to share, not seemingly an appropriate gesture at your event. I strongly support the personal hygiene suggestions above. Also, please point out the hemorrhoid guy to me.  (_!_)   I have some standards.
A couple of questions to understand the differences.
My kid may/may not come. Is it really advantageous to buy tickets online in advance?
At CWRU I am often first in line to insure the best seating. Is there a time by which one should arrive to insure moderately good seating? Is the line standing only, or would a pillow or other seating implement be of aid to a geezer?
In line & in theater: Warm? Cold? Layer expecting climate changes?
Other site specific suggestions?

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #21 - Feb 9th, 2012 at 5:35pm

Metaluna   Offline

pogo wrote on Feb 9th, 2012 at 4:27pm:
There I bring fruit and other goodies to share, not seemingly an appropriate gesture at your event.

You might find it's not a real fruity crowd but people do share food with neighbors. I can't imagine anyone would find it inappropriate.

Quote:
Also, please point out the hemorrhoid guy to me.  (_!_)   I have some standards.

He'll be the guy at the other end of the Mark projector.

Quote:
My kid may/may not come. Is it really advantageous to buy tickets online in advance?

Not really once the final price break deadline has passed.

Quote:
At CWRU I am often first in line to insure the best seating. Is there a time by which one should arrive to insure moderately good seating?

CLASSIFIED. Lips Sealed

You are not likely to be first in line but if you want to be reasonably near the front without spending all night in line I'd say get there by 9 AM.

Quote:
Is the line standing only, or would a pillow or other seating implement be of aid to a geezer?

It's the sidewalk, depending on weather it might be wet. Bring anything to sit on that you don't mind touching the sidewalk. A metal chair will get cold quickly. Don't ask how we know.

Quote:
In line & in theater: Warm? Cold? Layer expecting climate changes?

Traditionally we have several days of beautiful warm weather that suddenly turns cold and windy for Sunday morning. Layers are pretty much always the best way to go.

And please say hello to me! I will be the second most attractive woman hanging out with Frank the Prize Guy.

"MAKE ME A SERGEANT, CHARGE THE BOOZE!"
IP Logged

Reply #22 - Feb 9th, 2012 at 6:33pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Please say hi to me as well.  I will be the guy hanging out with the two most attractive women in the place.  Prize Guy Frank.................

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #23 - Feb 9th, 2012 at 7:44pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

pogo wrote on Feb 9th, 2012 at 4:27pm:
Have attended the 36 hour Cleveland Marathon for 24 years, so am used to the long haul.

Welcome aboard Pogo.
Wait, Pogo as in possum?

IP Logged

Reply #24 - Feb 9th, 2012 at 9:02pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

Yes. pogo as in Walt Kelly. I used to attend the annual Pogofest in Waycross GA (the northernmost point of the Okefenokee Swamp) But when it got down to about 15 of us they stopped having it.

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #25 - Feb 9th, 2012 at 9:47pm

Brendan   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks
Brookline NH

I'm going to my 4th Thon this year, and agree with the suggestions others are making. I like to wear loafers, easy to slip on and off, and feet don't get as tired.
     We sit in the balcony and the seat padding is a little thin, so always bring a sweatshirt/sweater that can serve as some extra padding.

IP Logged

Reply #26 - Feb 9th, 2012 at 10:10pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

My Guide On How To STAY AWAKE all 24 Hours!

Been going to Marathons since...gulp...1979 and have never fallen asleep! Now, I know there are people who don't intend to stay awake the whole 24 hours. That's fine and their choice loss. (it IS called a Marathon after all)

Here are my Tips. Of course, your mileage may vary. It is YOUR body and you should adjust for what works for you:

1. GET SOME REST before the Marathon. Easier said than done sometimes, I understand. Particularly, if the Marathon starts at Midnight! But, do your best. Also, I start a Vitamin, Echinesia, Zinc pill-popping regimen the week before the Marathon to be as illness resistant as I can.

2. LIMIT CAFFEINE. One year, early on in my Marathon career, I thought popping No-Doz was a good idea. It wasn't. 3/4 of the way through, I thought I was having an ulcer right smack in the middle of the movie DEMON SEED (that 'demon' was in my stomach!). More importantly, the constant ups and downs eventually catches up to you (same goes for excessive Sugar intake). Some folks have a higher built-up tolerence, but go easy.

3. Wear COMFORTABLE CLOTHES. And layers. That Klingon mask and paraphernalia might seem cool at noon, but by midnight, it likely won't. Also, a pillow or neck/back support might be in order.

4. EAT as LITTLE as possible. Again, early on, I looked forward to the Marathon as a 24 hour junk food party. Over the years, I have seen many Marathoners "go down for the count" long before the finish line due to upset stomachs. Pizza, burritos, Chinese, Indian, Thai food are all favorites, but I would stay away from them. I eat a big breakfast. Then nibble, nibble, nibble all day and night with only 1 warm meal (usually just a chicken sandwich without fries, shakes or too many condiments). Maybe, something warm for breakfast. Otherwise, it's prezels, chocolate covered raisins, several Power/Energy bars and lots and lots of water. Boring? Yup, but this is SURVIVAL!!

5. GET UP AND MOVE AROUND!! I pop out of my seat after EVERY SINGLE MOVIE and move around. If you think to yourself, "Oh, I'll just grab a little 5 minute nap between movies" - you're likely a goner. That walk around will do you much more good than a 5 minute nap. Longer naps are another story (for wimps!), but this is about staying awake the whole 24.

6. PSYCH YOURSELF UP!! Come on, this is one (long) day a year! ONE! You can't get psychologically tuned up to stay awake one little night a year?! Think of all the cool movies and shorts you are going to see! All the bad puns and callbacks you'll hear! The fun you'll have reminicing with fellow Marathoners throughout the year! The pride and honor of being a 24 HOUR SURVIVOR! You CAN do it!! I ain't into any of that New Age mind over body holistic hooey - but, in this one instance, I think a LOT of what defeats Marathoners IS in their head. If you say to yourself, "That slow draggy movie at 4am is going to KILL ME" - then it will happen. Instead, repeat to yourself - "I will stay awake, I will!"

That's it. 6 simple rules to follow, and you can join the Android brigade like myself! You'll never miss a single ray gun shooting, alien attack, day for night scene, cheezy line of dialogue, CGI overloaded frame, vintage trailer or Major Tom quip again!!

IP Logged

Reply #27 - Feb 10th, 2012 at 9:22pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

pogo wrote on Feb 9th, 2012 at 9:02pm:
Yes. pogo as in Walt Kelly. I used to attend the annual Pogofest in Waycross GA (the northernmost point of the Okefenokee Swamp) But when it got down to about 15 of us they stopped having it.

Well welcome to our marathon.
And bless us all with Boston Charlie

IP Logged

Reply #28 - Feb 11th, 2012 at 12:17pm

sabman   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

Quote:
At CWRU I am often first in line to insure the best seating. Is there a time by which one should arrive to insure moderately good seating?
CLASSIFIED. Lips Sealed

You are not likely to be first in line but if you want to be reasonably near the front without spending all night in line I'd say get there by 9 AM.

9 am?! Isn't that way too early for something that starts at 3 pm ? This will be my first marathon and I am super excited.

IP Logged

Reply #29 - Feb 11th, 2012 at 12:26pm

Caleb451   Offline
NYC

sabman wrote on Feb 11th, 2012 at 12:17pm:
Quote:
CLASSIFIED. Lips Sealed

9 am?! Isn't that way too early for something that starts at 3 pm ? This will be my first marathon and I am super excited.

3pm? Noon to noon.

Dinner break? What's a dinner break?
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3