WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
What to bring to the 'thon (Read 37600 times)
Feb 4th, 2012 at 8:42pm

anu3bis   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Attending (2003) & the
Music Meister (2016-)
Somerville, MA

Haven't seen the topic yet, and I have a friend who will be making his first pilgrimage this year.

Can folks pipe up with their suggestions, plans, and lists?

attending since 2003 SF28,
Music Meister since 2016.
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Feb 4th, 2012 at 11:28pm

Metaluna   Offline

anu3bis wrote on Feb 4th, 2012 at 8:42pm:
Haven't seen the topic yet, and I have a friend who will be making his first pilgrimage this year.

Can folks pipe up with their suggestions, plans, and lists?

Don't forget your ticket!

Bring as little as possible without leaving anything you will need. Once you get in there is not lots of storage space. I find a small pillow makes me much more comfortable. I also always bring a blanket. But I would probably bring a blanket with me everywhere if it were socially acceptable.

A toothbrush is a good idea. Asprin just in case. There is a CVS right near the theater that is open pretty late if you forget anything.

Keep the concession stand in mind if you plan to buy snacks. They make no concessions on their quality.

Anything with a light up screen should not be used during a movie. If you bring such devices please limit their use to intermissions or go to the lobby.

Also no glass bottles. There might be a bag check on the way in so nothing you will be embarrassed by. Wink Keeping in mind we are all a bunch of geeks and will find your stuffed Wookie and Star Trek slippers to be wicked cool.

"MAKE ME A SERGEANT, CHARGE THE BOOZE!"
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Feb 5th, 2012 at 9:40am

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Quote:
Bring: Tickets

Oh, that's what's missing. I ordered ours through Paypal on January 14th but, I have just discovered that they refused to share our mailing address with Garen! Paaaaaaypal!Angry

Or in the words of Mission Gallactica costar Lloyd Bridges:

"It looks like I picked the WRONG WEEK to stop sniffin' glue!"

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Feb 6th, 2012 at 7:45am

Stuart   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

I used to pack pretty heavy, but I never used half the things I brought.  These days I always bring a pillow, Advil, some cash, some light health snacks (I avoid sugar and heavy food at the 'thon these days as that always precipitates a coma), and a fresh pair of socks.  Nothing more than I can fit in a small backpack.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Feb 6th, 2012 at 8:55am

kirok   Offline
God Member

wet wipes come in handy. some cortizone cream also.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Feb 6th, 2012 at 12:52pm

Metaluna   Offline

kirok wrote on Feb 6th, 2012 at 8:55am:

Jeeze kirok, what the hell do you do during the movies?

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Feb 6th, 2012 at 1:29pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

Metaluna wrote on Feb 6th, 2012 at 12:52pm:
kirok wrote on Feb 6th, 2012 at 8:55am:

Jeeze kirok, what the hell do you do during the movies?

just wait till you're 54 and pre hemmorhoidal young lady!

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #7 - Feb 6th, 2012 at 2:07pm

Jon   Offline
MA

Pre-hemorroidal, my a$$!!  (oh, no, wait, that's your... never mind....) 
Just wait 'til you're post-65 and pre-dementia -- you'll bring everything and then forget why you brought it, thus keeping both CVS and the concession stand in business....  And you meet some real nice people while standing in the lobby wondering why you're there.

Spray hand-cleaner works pretty well and is easier to share with family members who forgot to bring any. A change of socks is, indeed, good (along with other unmentionables for early Monday), as are kleenex, mouthwash, and not to forget necessary medications (people hate it when you die sitting next to them - this is not the horror 'thon, folks).
A small pillow does work, but lately I find that my rolled up coat or down vest works just as well, and I have to have those in any case, for waiting in line on Sunday morning.  None of this is space consumptive and if you bring a few large plastic bags for trash, that'll help keep the acquired bulk down, too.

You've got to have friends and family around, of course -- they'll remember the stuff you don't, so bring them with you, too.  And if you can manage a small (recycled, of course), folded-up tote bag for your swag, it can stay contained and managable while you struggle with your flashlight to read the program and quizz sheets.

I always buy an extra ticket so I can have a place to put anything that I can't otherwise contain.  Works every year so far, and I started coming to these things in 1977!  Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Feb 6th, 2012 at 2:16pm

Metaluna   Offline

Jon wrote on Feb 6th, 2012 at 2:07pm:
Pre-hemorroidal, my a$$!!  (oh, no, wait, that's your... never mind....) 
Just wait 'til you're post-65 and pre-dementia -- you'll bring everything and then forget why you brought it, thus keeping both CVS and the concession stand in business....  And you meet some real nice people while standing in the lobby wondering why you're there.

Just make sure you have your name and address pinned to your clothing somewhere (even if it's already written in your underwear-someplace more easily accessible would be good). One of us will make sure you get home afterwards.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Feb 6th, 2012 at 2:32pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Medications, aspirin or the NSAID of your choosing.  A face cloth, hand cleaner, toothpaste, toothbrush, mouthwash.  For the guys, I sometimes bring a razor as a nice shave often works better than a nap.  Easy on scented stuff folks, we are in close quarters.  For the love of all that is holy, shower before the marathon and wear fresh clothes.  We are there for a long time it's best to start off as fresh as possible. 
Once upon a time , we brought in all manner of food.  Now we usually dine out and get something for breakfast at one of the many coffee shops. Snacks and such we patronize the concession stand.  Drop some coin there folks, our hosts will appreciate it.  The concession stand is quite good.  The popcorn is about the best that you will find anywhere.  Ice cream is good. 
Some folks say lay off the caffeine because of the crash.  I need the caffeine and it works for me.  Coffee is generally pretty good and it is usually bottomless with the purchase of a marathon mug.
Pillow, blanket, neck pillow and slippers. 
Ticket of course.

please show some restraint when snarking....... A clever comment is always much better received than an endless rant.  When someone asks you to be quiet rest assured that they are probably speaking for the house. 

Also, the Somerville is a grand old theater.  She has been lovingly restored to her former beauty and beyond. Enjoy the experience of watching movies the way they were meant to be seen.  Her crew does a terrific job.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #10 - Feb 6th, 2012 at 2:58pm

Metaluna   Offline

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Feb 6th, 2012 at 4:18pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

And all this time I thought folks were restless in their chairs because of sugar and coffee rushes..... anal itching......... go figure.....

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #12 - Feb 7th, 2012 at 9:03am

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Metaluna:
Quote:
Bring as little as possible without leaving anything you will need...

Quote:
Medications, aspirin or the NSAID of your choosing.

A face cloth, hand cleaner, toothpaste, toothbrush, mouthwash.

For the guys, I sometimes bring a razor as a nice shave often works better than a nap.  Easy on scented stuff folks, we are in close quarters.  For the love of all that is holy, shower before the marathon and wear fresh clothes. We are there for a long time it's best to start off as fresh as possible.
Once upon a time , we brought in all manner of food. 
Now we usually dine out and get something for breakfast at one of the many coffee shops.
Snacks and such we patronize the concession stand.

Drop some coin there folks, our hosts will appreciate it.  The concession stand is quite good. 
The popcorn is about the best that you will find anywhere.  Ice cream is good. 
Pillow, blanket, neck pillow and slippers.

Ticket of course

Good points Metaluna and Frank. Overpacking can be a nuisance to your neighbors, unless it's fun overpacking like Tom Servo or The Arc of The Covenant that used to make an appearance at the Coolidge.

Besides, the sight of a bunch of casually dressed, bearded men with bedding and bags of personal effects in tow is bound to look out of place in Davis Square.

Oh, wait...nevermind. Wink

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #13 - Feb 7th, 2012 at 10:08am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Wait I almost forgot. You should bring around 350-400 swag bags and at least 3-4 rubbermaid bins filled with toys and what-not.  A hand cart comes in handy................

Also, 30-40 movie posters to decorate the lobby.

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Feb 7th, 2012 at 8:14pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Frank:
Quote:
Wait I almost forgot. You should bring around 350-400 swag bags and at least 3-4 rubbermaid bins filled with toys and what-not.

What was it that our elementary school teachers used to say: "If you didn't bring enough for everybody then..." ...oh,...wait...nevermind. Wink

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3