WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Never Let Me Go (Read 18103 times)
Dec 16th, 2011 at 9:09am

Caleb451   Offline
NYC

I'm not sure how this film slipped past my radar until now.
Has anyone seen it? Would it be good 'Thon material?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXiRZhDEo8A

Dinner break? What's a dinner break?
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Dec 16th, 2011 at 10:38am

kirok   Offline
God Member

i think never let me go was discussed here pre crash.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Dec 16th, 2011 at 10:58am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

I certainly would not mind seeing it at the thon.  I missed it the first time around.  However, from what I have read, it would need a good time slot if it is going to work as it is not action packed.  I believe L.A. reviewed it on the previous incarnation of this board.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Dec 16th, 2011 at 12:27pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

As I posted on the earlier board, NEVER LET ME GO was the best SF film of 2010. Unfortunately, not great Marathon material. Very little hard SF and fairly slow. Critics of the film took the premise far too literally and kept hammering the same point: "Why don't the characters DO something about their fate?!!" Completely missing the point of the book and film.

Either would have to be shown around 9pm or 4am when the yahoos have drifted off to sleep.

The score by Rachel Portman is particularly moving:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOgUTObDW04

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jan 8th, 2012 at 2:02am

Caleb451   Offline
NYC

I just watched Never Let Me Go.
If this isn't 'Thon material than there's something wrong with our 'Thon. Smart, emotional, beautifully constructed legitimate SF. And maybe more importantly, virtually unseen by most film goers, including the Marathon crowd.
I hope there's still room for movies where stuff doesn't blow-up.

Dinner break? What's a dinner break?
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 9:02pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Funny you should mention this. The New Beverly Cinema, the one full-time L.A. Rep house, just went through an ordeal in trying to book a 35MM print of NEVER LET ME GO.

The programmer at the Cinema wrote this on her blog :
(http://juliamarchese.wordpress.com/2012/01/09/never-let-me-go/) :
I have been championing the film since its release, begging friends and neighbors to see it. I wanted to play it at the New Beverly as soon as possible, but Fox Searchlight told me that out of all of the hundreds of prints made, only two remained. One was irreparably damaged, and the other on long-term loan to a cruise ship. Whether they were telling the truth or not, I can’t say, but I will say that I am completely overjoyed that we will finally be showing it at the New Bev on January 11th and 12th with (schedule permitting) director Mark Romanek in attendance both nights.

Full story here: http://www.movieline.com/2012/01/10/mark-romanek-pairs-never-let-me-go-with-fahr...

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jan 12th, 2012 at 7:34am

Lile   Offline
SF Rocks

I missed this one completely when it came out,and it's hard to believe there are only a couple of prints from such a recent movie.A late evening slot would be perfect.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jan 15th, 2012 at 2:26pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Lile wrote on Jan 12th, 2012 at 7:34am:
I missed this one completely when it came out,and it's hard to believe there are only a couple of prints from such a recent movie.A late evening slot would be perfect.

As I keep trying to inform people, these studio bastards -- and especially the scumbags at Fox -- melt their prints down almost immediately after the movie has ended its run.  They dont keep any of them for later use.
     Last year, there were several people on this board who kept refusing to believe this, saying that there HAD to be a print of Predators in a depot somewhere.  Nope!

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #8 - Jan 15th, 2012 at 8:06pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

David the Projectionist wrote on Jan 15th, 2012 at 2:26pm:
Lile wrote on Jan 12th, 2012 at 7:34am:

As I keep trying to inform people, these studio bastards -- and especially the scumbags at Fox -- melt their prints down almost immediately after the movie has ended its run.  They dont keep any of them for later use.
     Last year, there were several people on this board who kept refusing to believe this, saying that there HAD to be a print of Predators in a depot somewhere.  Nope!

I hear you man but there is no way that better is going to win over cheaper and more expedient in a town where the bottom line trumps art every single time.   

As for the public rearing its' head and protesting, well, don't count on it.   

Not with a bang but with a whimper I fear.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #9 - Jan 16th, 2012 at 12:28am

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Frank wrote on Jan 15th, 2012 at 8:06pm:
I hear you man but there is no way that better is going to win over cheaper and more expedient in a town where the bottom line trumps art every single time.

It has nothing to do with "the town" or "the bottom line" or "art" or the "free market:" this change is being forced on exhibitors by the studios: it's not a CHOICE.   Angry
     Believe me, if we had a choice, my theatre would not wish to spend the fantastic amount of money this idiotic & worthless conversion is going to cost!

Quote:
As for the public rearing its' head and protesting, well, don't count on it.

Oh, I long ago gave up on any hope of the American public doing anything.  Just take a gander at the candidates for president right now: theres your public!

Quote:
Not with a bang but with a whimper I fear.

Sure, with a whimper.  But then it will come back, if it can.  And when it does, when people finally figure out theyre getting screwed, or the dipshit exhibitors watch their revenues plummeting because no one is going to buy a ticket when you can get it streaming for free, I'm trying like hell to make sure my theatre will be ready.

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Jan 16th, 2012 at 1:04am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

David the Projectionist wrote on Jan 16th, 2012 at 12:28am:
[quote author=1521323D380C062131323D3C530 link=1324044561/8#8 date=1326676010]I hear you man but there is no way that better is going to win over cheaper and more expedient in a town where the bottom line trumps art every single time.

It has nothing to do with "the town" or "the bottom line" or "art" or the "free market:" this change is being forced on exhibitors by the studios: it's not a CHOICE.   Angry
     Believe me, if we had a choice, my theatre would not wish to spend the fantastic amount of money this idiotic & worthless conversion is going to cost!

Jeez, not your bottom line, the studios.  It has everything to do with what I said.  The studios WANT to make money and cut corners.  Voila! And they don't give a flying fiddlers you know about you or us. 
« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2012 at 1:28pm by Frank »  

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Jan 16th, 2012 at 1:07am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

David the Projectionist wrote on Jan 16th, 2012 at 12:28am:
Frank wrote on Jan 15th, 2012 at 8:06pm:
[quote]Not with a bang but with a whimper I fear.

Sure, with a whimper.  But then it will come back, if it can.  And when it does, when people finally figure out theyre getting screwed, or the dipshit exhibitors watch their revenues plummeting because no one is going to buy a ticket when you can get it streaming for free, I'm trying like hell to make sure my theatre will be ready.

I hope so but I really don't see a comeback happening. 

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Jan 17th, 2012 at 11:26am

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Frank wrote on Jan 16th, 2012 at 1:07am:
I hope so but I really don't see a comeback happening.

Of course it will come back, O ye of little faith: everything comes back, & what a big deal theyll make of it when it does!
     Checked out the escalating sales of vinyl lately?  You know, the "inferior" format that CDs would kill forever?
     Film will return.  It will return to limited venues, but it will return.
     I'm right about this.

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Aug 8th, 2016 at 10:51pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

Falling down an IMDB hole after seeing the delightful Our Little Sister, I found this, and now I'm awful curious about how it works in the longer format and whether there's any legitimate way to watch it, since Japan is pretty terrible about exporting things.

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Aug 9th, 2016 at 11:02am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

A TV series based on the same book? Sounds intriguing.

P.S. And, OUR LITTLE SISTER is the best movie I've seen 7+months into the year.

Jay Seaver wrote on Aug 8th, 2016 at 10:51pm:
Falling down an IMDB hole after seeing the delightful Our Little Sister, I found this, and now I'm awful curious about how it works in the longer format and whether there's any legitimate way to watch it, since Japan is pretty terrible about exporting things.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2