WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

HUGO Scorsese - Melies (Read 2777 times)
Dec 11th, 2011 at 5:27pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Scorsese's 3D film is an odd curio. More of interest to Critics and hardcore cineastes than to the general public (even if it's being sold as a Family film), this is a pretty schizo production.

On one hand, it is a family film in that it's about a kid who lives out an almost Dickens-like existence as an orphan who secretly keeps the clocks running on time at a Paris train station. Adventures ensue including trying to keep hidden from the dastardly train cop (played by Sasha B.Cohen in an extremely poor decision by Scorsese - Borat doing what seems like a high school play version of Monty Python skit). He also inherits an automaton which his father (Jude Law - an A.I. touch?) left him.

On the other, it's about the first great Special Effects heavy director - Georges Melies.

Martin (GOODFELLAS-RAGING BULL-Film Historian) Scorsese. Hmmm. Which story do you think appealed to him more - the kids film or Melies?? The kidstuff is pretty routine, but HUGO lights up when it turns to Melies - particularly the loving recreations of some of the French auteur's work including Marathon classic A TRIP TO THE MOON. The only drawback in this section of the film is that Ben Kingsley may be a great actor, but he's just too dour for the role. What should be a triumphant rediscovery comes off as far more bittersweet than Scorsese and his writers surely intended. My other quibble is that when animating the automaton and a wind-up mouse, there is obvious CGI at work. For a film with a reported $170M budget (and up) and with its attention to period detail, you'd think they could have just build practical props rather than resorting to computer gimmicks.

I enjoyed the film with the reservations noted (of course, I'm a former film critic and a cineaste), but I'm curious what children and non-hardcore film fans make of the storyline. The 3D has been much praised. On a technical level it's fine. But, I still find even the best 3D to be a distraction. The much vaunted opening sequence is showy for sure, but the actual people look like figures in a Pop Up book. At times, I just closed one eye and watched pieces in good old fashioned
D. And, the images have pretty good depth without looking like someone is foisting foreground objects in your eyes.

A TRIP TO THE MOON online (if we can get the new restoration for the marathon, that would be great):

http://www.archive.org/details/TripToTheMoon_304

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Dec 14th, 2011 at 1:39pm

Jon   Offline
MA

Well, as Bob Hope used to croon, "Thanks for the Memories."
Smiley

IP Logged