WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
My Fantasy Marathon for 2012 (Read 21881 times)
Dec 6th, 2011 at 3:49pm

Caleb451   Online
NYC

In this order:

Attack the Block
The Day of the Triffids
The Day the Earth Stood Still
Man Who Fell to Earth
Rollerball
Corman's World: Exploits of a Hollywood Rebel
Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster
Fantastic Planet
The Brood
Children of Men
The Road
Iron Giant
Real Steel

Dinner break? What's a dinner break?
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Dec 6th, 2011 at 5:03pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Quote:
Caleb
My Fantasy Marathon:...

Yep, it's a fantasy alright! Wink
My favorite Marathon moments come from seeing something I know nothing about! Would anybody's list this time last year have "Zonad" on it?

Still, I like your list for not being ALL from the 1950's and 60's pantheon of oft-seen greatness. Only one falls into that category and the rest would have a broad appeal; some laughs, some pathos, guys in rubber suits, creepy babies,....

The possibility that non-pink prints still exist for "The Road" and "Children of Men" makes your list all the better. "Splice" might also be available, given that all three are original sci-fi stories from the recent past, and not just some action picture with Robots.

I recall "Gattaca"* was cheered by the thoids' a dozen years ago, and thought it might join "Blade Runner", "Day the Earth Stood Still" "Metropolis", "Forbidden Planet" and "2001" in the once-a-decade rotation. Is it still out there?

Neither the Festival nor the Marathon were intended to be all things to all people, and half the fun is the head scratching that comes from something that wasn't accessible to many people but hey...
It was BIG in JAPAN!

*This is the part where a certain person recalls that "It sucked!" and "everyone hated it!" Wink

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 8:13am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

V For Vendetta
The Day The Earth Caught Fire
The Tenth Victim
Mysterious Island (1962)
Dark City
Aliens
The Time Machine (1960)
Matango
Battle Beyond the Stars
Gattaca
Invasion of the Body Snatchers

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 9:01am

Caleb451   Online
NYC

Frank wrote on Dec 7th, 2011 at 8:13am:
V For Vendetta
The Tenth Victim
Mysterious Island (1962)
Dark City
Aliens
The Time Machine (1960)
Matango
Battle Beyond the Stars
Gattaca

This works too.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 11:13am

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

What, no Zardoz?

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 1:59pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Zardoz is one of those awful movies that I enjoy because of its' excess.  It is truly awful and yet I still enjoy it.  I would not include it on this list because I have no pressing desire to see it again so soon.  The same is true for some movies that I love. They don't make the fantasy list every year because there are too many of them.  They would fill several marathons. 

I can sit through almost anything with this crowd if it is loud and garish and keeps moving.  Note that I said almost anything because there are always exceptions.  Take Battlefield Earth..... no really....take it.  Sometimes it does not work at all. 

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 2:00pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

This is a pretty dreamy lineup. Wouldn't be bad at all. I'd put in V FOR VENDETTA instead of THE ROAD. ROAD is ok, but such a drag, the audience would be gritting their teeth (or sleeping). Haven't seen REAL STEEL, but I guess it would make for an ok dinner break double bill with ATTACK THE BLOCK.

These particular 13 titles might also run a tad long considering the length of a few of them.

Solid.

Caleb451 wrote on Dec 6th, 2011 at 3:49pm:
In this order:

Attack the Block
The Day of the Triffids
The Day the Earth Stood Still
Man Who Fell to Earth
Rollerball
Corman's World: Exploits of a Hollywood Rebel
Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster
Fantastic Planet
The Brood
Children of Men
The Road
Iron Giant
Real Steel

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 4:07pm

Caleb451   Online
NYC

I'm more than happy to swap out The Road (which I really like even though I can understand that any don't) with V for Vendetta (Occupy Davis Square!).
I haven't seen Real Steel either, but I hear it's a load of fun and seems like it's just loud enough for the 10am slot. Also, assuming very few have seen it, it would help keep the crowd around until the end.
If I had to cut one for time I'd probably sacrifice Fantastic Planet. Slow French animation with subtitles in the early hours is enough to knock out even the most seasoned Marathoner.
Source Code would also work to fill the mandatory New Film slot.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 5:10pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Quote:
R_F_: "Gattaca"...Is it still out there? Quote:
Frank: Gattaca Quote:
Caleb: This works too.
Cool

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #9 - Dec 10th, 2011 at 12:04pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Frank wrote on Dec 7th, 2011 at 8:13am:
V For Vendetta
The Tenth Victim
Mysterious Island (1962)
Dark City
Aliens
The Time Machine (1960)
Matango
Battle Beyond the Stars
Gattaca

Enjoyable.

I'm assuming the '56 SNATCHERS since we showed the '78 pretty recently. On a TCM special recently, Stephen King named the original his personal favorite in the whole genre. Pretty high praise, and I have to say I love the film to death myself.

MATANGO (aka ATTACK OF THE MUSHROOM PEOPLE) and TENTH VICTIM would be the hardest to get prints of since they were imported foreign prints when they both played in L.A. over the past decade (and, yes, I tried to get them booked).

11 films leaves a slot or two open to a "premiere" or two.

We certainly should "save" V FOR VENDETTA from falling into the 'black hole' where films mysteriously disappear to if they aren't booked in the first couple of years around their release. And, it's main image is kinda in the news these days....

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Dec 10th, 2011 at 3:19pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

I agree about V.  It certainly deserves a look by the marathoids.  Occupy Somerville.

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Dec 10th, 2011 at 9:16pm

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Frank wrote on Dec 10th, 2011 at 3:19pm:
I agree about V.  It certainly deserves a look by the marathoids.

But would you really consider it to be SF?
     And I must add that I like the comic better: much more powerful & substantially more intelligent.
     The thing that always impressed me about the movie was that it got made at all, because, watered down from the original though it may be, it's still a clear call to arms against the people in charge.  You rarely see that stated so baldly these days; they tend to sort of hint around it, so as not to upset any key demographic.

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Dec 10th, 2011 at 9:30pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

*************** spoilers***************

SPOILERS  SPOILERS

Yes it is science fiction taking place in the future featuring a dystopian society and all sorts of bio-engineered nasties and the main character would not exist without a science fiction element.  He is essentially a "super soldier". 

Although it is not as good as the graphic novel, I have a great deal of afffection for the movie. 

The author, Alan Moore, is a bit of a pompous dink, but the man can write.......,  Marvelman (Miracle Man here in the states), League of extraordinary Gentleman, Watchmen, Swamp Thing and all of his solo stints at DC, Top Ten and son on and so forth.

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Dec 11th, 2011 at 10:58am

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Frank wrote on Dec 10th, 2011 at 9:30pm:
The author, Alan Moore, is a bit of a pompous dink, but the man can write

He can indeed, & people who have accomplished what he has have earned the right to be pompous if they wish.  But I dont actually think he is, although I can see how you might think he comes off that way.

Quote:
Marvelman (Miracle Man here in the states), League of extraordinary Gentleman, Watchmen, Swamp Thing and all of his solo stints at DC, Top Ten and son on and so forth.

You are perhaps unaware that I owned a comic book store for fifteen years?  And have every one of the books you mention, and then some?

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Dec 11th, 2011 at 11:05am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

David the Projectionist wrote on Dec 11th, 2011 at 10:58am:
Frank wrote on Dec 10th, 2011 at 9:30pm:
The author, Alan Moore, is a bit of a pompous dink, but the man can write

He can indeed, & people who have accomplished what he has have earned the right to be pompous if they wish.  But I dont actually think he is, although I can see how you might think he comes off that way.

Quote:
Marvelman (Miracle Man here in the states), League of extraordinary Gentleman, Watchmen, Swamp Thing and all of his solo stints at DC, Top Ten and son on and so forth.

You are perhaps unaware that I owned a comic book store for fifteen years?  And have every one of the books you mention, and then some?

Well I only owned one for about ten so I guess that you beat me.  However, I do have all of those books and more as well.  So I know Moore and I love his stuff but the man, not so much....  Don't hate him mind you and admire much of what he says and does, I just think that he is a bit full of himself with far too many esoteric trappings surrounding him for me to buy all of the self-hype.  Still, back in the day, given the choice between Moore and Maggie Thatcher and her wake, well that was no choice at all : )

« Last Edit: Dec 11th, 2011 at 4:23pm by Frank »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2