WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
SF/37 Feb. 2011 Theme(s) (Read 17114 times)
Dec 1st, 2011 at 2:13pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

I believe that Garen said that Steampunk was one of the themes at this year's fest.  Dunno if that means the festival part, the marathon part or both. 

/////
split off into it's own topic -admin

« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2011 at 8:09pm by L.A. Connection »  

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 8:18pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Garen has told me the "Steampunk" theme is mainly for the Festival as of now.

Not a big fan of the idea myself. Anime has been notoriously divisive at the Marathon. And, a sub-genre of anime which postulates a retro future where steam power ruled the world, is even more self-limiting as a theme for the Marathon.

Perhaps, someone can get Neil Nadelman to come to the board and explain why it's a great idea....

STEAMBOY, shown at SF/31

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Dec 2nd, 2011 at 4:51am

Rich Bartlett   Offline

I suppose 2012:Welcome to the End of the World is too obvious a choice to actually be used.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Dec 2nd, 2011 at 9:32am

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

I'm no real fan of steampunk - it's backward-looking and is generally driven more by aesthetics than actual new ideas - but to call it a "sub-genre of anime" is two mistakes in one:  Looking at anime as a genre rather than a medium, and ignoring that the vast majority of steampunk has been done in other media.  Cherie Priest's "Clockwork Century" series of novels is probably the most visible right now, but the first novel in the series -Boneshaker - was just optioned for film the other day by Hammer.  It's a niche that is currently small enough, film-wise, that I suspect Garen will have trouble doing much more than filling a shorts program.

Which would be cool, though, especially if it's accompanied by a costume contest.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Dec 2nd, 2011 at 9:49am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

If anything, steampunk is a sub-genre of speculative fiction.  I guess it was branded in the 80's-90's but the works of authors such as Welles and Verne are firmly set in a steampunk universe.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Dec 2nd, 2011 at 12:42pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

Well, they're kind of retro-actively steampunk - they were writing futuristic fantasies at the time.  I don't know if something is actually in the genre unless it's deliberately anachronistic

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Dec 2nd, 2011 at 1:33pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Jay Seaver wrote on Dec 2nd, 2011 at 12:42pm:
Well, they're kind of retro-actively steampunk - they were writing futuristic fantasies at the time.  I don't know if something is actually in the genre unless it's deliberately anachronistic

Oh yea I forgot that time machines, flying machines, true submarines, spaceships and the like were plentiful in that 19th and early 20th centuries. Most of the stories are not set in the future they are set in the "then" present time. 
These just did not call it steampunk and they are the sun source for steampunk.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Dec 2nd, 2011 at 2:17pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

Plenty of sf written today is written in the present day; "futuristic" != "future".

What I'm saying is that the intent of "steampunk" is obviously different from what Wells and Verne were doing; it's about applying a past aesthetic to present pop culture.  It's design-oriented, and often style over substance.  Early science fiction may be set in the same time period, but it's forward-looking, not fetishization (not that fetishization is necessarily a bad thing).

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Dec 3rd, 2011 at 2:04am

Metaluna   Offline

Maybe our alternate universe marathon in Cleveland will also have a steampunk theme. They can call themselves the Cleveland Steame....

Undecided

...maybe not.

"MAKE ME A SERGEANT, CHARGE THE BOOZE!"
IP Logged

Reply #9 - Dec 3rd, 2011 at 6:40pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

The festival, as opposed to the Marathon, has generally premiered a good share of full-length animation, so it really isn't all that different from past years. Garen can only premier the SF films that are actually getting made and the global youth market supports a lot of Anime. I'm jiggy with it.

As concerns the Marathon...well.

Past Steampunk movies like "Akira" and "The Wings of Honemaise" do have a place in our hearts, but then again so does cholesterol!

Put another way: those who do not learn from "Alternative History" are destined to repeat it! Wink

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #10 - Dec 3rd, 2011 at 7:15pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

There are a handful of live action Steampunk movies, but they seem to flourish more in Anime (I erred earlier on that count). And, I personally haven't had a problem with showing a few representative Anime entries at the Marathon. But, it's been a divisive issue with the general audience at the event.
Like I said, I am led to believe that Steampunk will be mostly a Festival thing, so don't expect to see much steam on the screen at the Marathon.

What comes out of Your individual head may be another story......... Cheesy

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Dec 5th, 2011 at 11:12am

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

R_F_Fineman wrote on Dec 3rd, 2011 at 6:40pm:
Past Steampunk movies like "Akira" and "The Wings of Honemaise" do have a place in our hearts, but then again so does cholesterol!

Oh, for crying out loud twice...  Please, folks, know what words mean before using them!

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 9:03pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

This just in!

Our first booking for the
STEAMPUNK
- themed Festival in February 2012.

Buy your tickets
NOW!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nAI_xI9wQnE

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Dec 9th, 2011 at 6:10am

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Arthur Christmas
Don't know much about it (and want to keep it that way).

One thing is for sure the voice talent ROCKS!
  James McAvoy  ...  Arthur (voice) 
  Hugh Laurie  ...  Steve (voice) 
  Bill Nighy  ...  Grandsanta (voice) 
  Jim Broadbent
  Joan Cusack  ...  Lead Elf (voice)   
   Michael Palin  ...  Ernie Clicker (voice)   
Laura Linney  ...  North Pole Computer (voice)
(Laura Linney as a compoter voice: I'm reprogramming my GPS! --R_F_)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1430607/

I'll get the Break Music Staff to work right away!

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #14 - Dec 9th, 2011 at 8:39am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

no, no,
NO
!

Just the STEAMPUNK-themed VIDEO shown!

Roll Eyes

IP Logged