WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
IDEAS for SF/37 Feb.2012: 10th Victim and others (Read 45241 times)
Reply #30 - Jan 4th, 2012 at 11:59pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Off the sci-fi topic and on 70mm for when it happens please consider the following: I would love my son to see these with me as they were meant to be seen.  He has only seen most of them on DVD.

Zulu
Wild Bunch
Lawrence of Arabia
Battle of The Bulge
Ben Hur
Bridge on the River Kwai
Ice Station Zebra
Spartacus

There are more but that's a good testosterone fueled start (heh-heh)

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #31 - Jan 5th, 2012 at 3:42pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

L.A. Connection wrote on Jan 4th, 2012 at 9:09pm:
Actually, at least one of the films in the 70mm TREK series got shown in 35mm since a 70mm print was 'unavailable' (I believe it was the original STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE).

You are correct: Star Trek The Motion Sickness was unavailable in 70 for that screening.  But I specifically said that Star Treks III, IV, & V were available in 70, if you were paying attention.  No one said anything about Star Trek I.

Quote:
That said, my vote would be for VI: THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY in 70mm.

That, too, is available.

Quote:
If only we had a venue for the Marathon that could project 70mm..................

If only we had an administrator who understood how difficult it has been to find all the necessary equipment, & how even more difficult it is to get it set up properly.  That person would not be so sarcastic, and will, I predict, be on cloud nine when the installation is complete.

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #32 - Jan 5th, 2012 at 4:27pm

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Frank wrote on Jan 4th, 2012 at 11:59pm:
Off the sci-fi topic and on 70mm for when it happens please consider the following.

I am keeping the list of titles I plan to show to myself until they are all confirmed.  And the installation is complete.  And the money is available to do this.  I dont want to count my chickens until I at least have some eggs.
     That said, I'll go over a few of these.

Quote:
Zulu

Unavailable in pretty much any format, due to rights issues.  If there is a surviving 70 print, which I very much doubt, the colour will have completely faded away.  In addition, the mix was limited: only the voices & the effects were sent to the side channels, the music was resolutely mono.
     Dont hold your breath for this one in 70.

Quote:
Wild Bunch

There is a print of this available, provided Warners hasnt thrown it into the sea; however, it uses the Todd-AO standard sound, & I'm not certain I'll be set up for that format in time.

Quote:
Lawrence of Arabia

The available prints of this are awful: they were struck from an internegative, & the colour is off.  There are a couple of the good ones left, but getting hold of either one of them will not be an easy task.  And Ive run this way too many times.

Quote:
Battle of The Bulge

Unavailable, as far as I can tell.  Red, if one still exists.  And the Todd-AO sound format.  And in Ultra Panavision, which is a whole different kettle of fish.

Quote:
Ben Hur

Available in a flat 70 format, but then theres the sound.

Quote:

No.  Run this a million times.  And the new prints are grainy & hideous.

Quote:
Bridge on the River Kwai

There was one print of this about a decade ago; dont know if it still exists.  The colour & aspect ratio were off, & the sound was mono.

Quote:
Ice Station Zebra

If theres a print of this, it's red.  And we're back once more to that sound format.  And I have to ask why anyone would want to see this again: nothing like Todd-AO to show very clearly that youre standing on a set!  Still, if they ever struck a new print....

Quote:
Spartacus

Available.
     Believe me, youll all know when this is going to happen!  Ive been working on this project for nearly seven straight years.

IP Logged

Reply #33 - Jan 5th, 2012 at 5:30pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

pardon my total ignorance oh great projectionist, but if there are no good prints of a movie, is there a likelyhood that a negative exists and can a good print be produced thereby. how often if ever does a studio or private owner or whatever go through the process of printing and releasing a copy from the original negative? was the very nice copy of "colossus the forbin project" produced in this manner?

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #34 - Jan 5th, 2012 at 10:51pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

kirok wrote on Jan 3rd, 2012 at 4:34pm:
for 2012 the schedule needs some gravitas. there is a contingent of johnny come latelys and they need encouragement to make the marathon an annual ritual. my schedule is geared toward showing some faves that the die hards have seen before and the jcls would be enthralled by and thus make for a melding of the auduence.
here's my futile attempt. i have been pushing for these titles for many years.

Battle beyond the stars.
     Johnboy in space. it's a retelling of the magnificent 7 which is a retelling of the 7 samurai

ed wood (1994)
     long overdo. there's a scene portraying the meeting of ed wood and orson welles.

the man who fell to earth.
     the people who like david bowie's shlong in labyrinth will love this.

the man in the white suit
      rare quality from british sci-fi. starring alec guiness. about a scientist who invents a indestructable cloth.

the book of eli (2010)
      a sleeper hit for 2010. cannibals, gun fu, meat cleaver fu, shock ending. a cameo by a veteran actor is guranteed to bring the house down.

terminator 3
     bad box office but the marathon audience will give it a boost

cowboys and aliens
     ditto

star trek 5: where no man has gone before
     the success of star trek 2  at sf 35 should make it inevitable that all star trek installments (except for star trek 1) be eventually shown. this installment is highly underrated and was directed by william shatner.

rise of the planet of the apes
    i have held off on viewing this one in the hope that it appears on the schedule.

more later

for a family and animation: the incredibles and wall-e

add one artsy fartsy foriegn pick like "another earth" and you have an outstanding 2012 line up.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #35 - Jan 6th, 2012 at 10:10am

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

kirok wrote on Jan 5th, 2012 at 5:30pm:
pardon my total ignorance oh great projectionist

Yes, my son?

Quote:
but if there are no good prints of a movie, is there a likelihood that a negative exists and can a good print be produced thereby.

It depends, my boy, upon the era.
     Literally thousands of original negatives from the early days of film are gone: they were claimed by nitrate fires, nitrate decomposition due to poor storage, overuse (Birth of a Nation, for example), or the studio or owner just threw them away because it/he felt it had no more value.
     It got a bit better in the thirties, but not much.
     When the fifties rolled in, the problem then became the switch over to the Eastman colour negative stock (as opposed to three strip Technicolor process).  Most of the fifties colour negatives have faded beyond redemption; if no colour seps were made, theyre gone.
     Same with the sixties.  For instance, the negative to Tom Jones is lost: no colour seps were made, nothing seems to exist; there may be a print or two stowed away somewhere, but thats pretty much it.
     The original colour negative to the 30fps Around the World in 80 Days is gone: that version can never be shown again (unless my information is wrong).  Those are just a couple of examples: hundreds more exist.

Quote:
how often if ever does a studio or private owner or whatever go through the process of printing and releasing a copy from the original negative?

Again, that depends.
     Prints are rarely made from the camera negative: the rule is to touch that element as seldom as possible, & use the best existing internegative instead.
     But it sometimes happens: the print of Jaws 2 we ran last summer was struck off the camera negative.
     Assuming we're still discussing older movies, the owner will occasionally ask for a new print to be struck, but thats becoming less & less frequent, because of this digital sh!t I keep warning everybody about.
     It is now far more likely that an element -- good or bad -- will be pulled to create a digital copy: whether that digital version maintains any fidelity to the original is left completely to chance (the recent snafu in West Side Story being a good example).
     But, sure, there are plenty of existing elements from which the studios could strike new prints if they wanted to; they just dont want to.  Theyre trying to kill the format.  We're all going to get it in the neck if they do.

Quote:
was the very nice copy of "colossus the forbin project" produced in this manner?

That was struck from an internegative.  If you remember the print, it had a yellow tinge throughout.  Why?  Because the unstable cyan layer in the original negative had begun to fade.
     Hope that helps.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Reply #36 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 2:29pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

I am starting to jones for mid-60's to mid-70's sf movies that hardly ever received the kind of rotation that many of the 50's low budget, small studio films enjoyed.  They are not all good but we have not shown them or they have not been shown in ages.

The Andromeda Strain
The Satan Bug
Wild In The Streets
The Power
The Green Slime
Fahrenheit 451
The 10th Victim
The Time Travelers
Escape From The Planet of the Apes
THX1138
Silent Running
Day of the Dolphin
Fantastic Planet

These are but a few.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #37 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 3:49pm

Caleb451   Offline
NYC

Frank wrote on Jan 10th, 2012 at 2:29pm:
I am starting to jones for mid-60's to mid-70's sf movies that hardly ever received the kind of rotation that many of the 50's low budget, small studio films enjoyed.  They are not all good but we have not shown them or they have not been shown in ages.

The Andromeda Strain
The Satan Bug
Wild In The Streets
The Power
The Green Slime
Fahrenheit 451
The 10th Victim
The Time Travelers
Escape From The Planet of the Apes
THX1138
Silent Running
Day of the Dolphin
Fantastic Planet

These are but a few. 

There isn't a single film on that list that I wouldn't gladly sit through. Especially Escape from the Planet of the Ape, my favorite from the series.

Dinner break? What's a dinner break?
IP Logged

Reply #38 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 10:04pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

David the Projectionist wrote on Jan 5th, 2012 at 4:27pm:
Frank wrote on Jan 4th, 2012 at 11:59pm:
Off the sci-fi topic and on 70mm for when it happens please consider the following.

I am keeping the list of titles I plan to show to myself until they are all confirmed.  And the installation is complete.  And the money is available to do this.  I dont want to count my chickens until I at least have some eggs.
     That said, I'll go over a few of these.

Quote:
Zulu

Unavailable in pretty much any format, due to rights issues.  If there is a surviving 70 print, which I very much doubt, the colour will have completely faded away.  In addition, the mix was limited: only the voices & the effects were sent to the side channels, the music was resolutely mono.
     Dont hold your breath for this one in 70.

Quote:
Wild Bunch

There is a print of this available, provided Warners hasnt thrown it into the sea; however, it uses the Todd-AO standard sound, & I'm not certain I'll be set up for that format in time.

Quote:
Lawrence of Arabia

The available prints of this are awful: they were struck from an internegative, & the colour is off.  There are a couple of the good ones left, but getting hold of either one of them will not be an easy task.  And Ive run this way too many times.

Quote:
Battle of The Bulge

Unavailable, as far as I can tell.  Red, if one still exists.  And the Todd-AO sound format.  And in Ultra Panavision, which is a whole different kettle of fish.

Quote:
Ben Hur

Available in a flat 70 format, but then theres the sound.

Quote:

No.  Run this a million times.  And the new prints are grainy & hideous.

Quote:
Bridge on the River Kwai

There was one print of this about a decade ago; dont know if it still exists.  The colour & aspect ratio were off, & the sound was mono.

Quote:
Ice Station Zebra

If theres a print of this, it's red.  And we're back once more to that sound format.  And I have to ask why anyone would want to see this again: nothing like Todd-AO to show very clearly that youre standing on a set!  Still, if they ever struck a new print....

Quote:
Spartacus

Available.
     Believe me, youll all know when this is going to happen!  Ive been working on this project for nearly seven straight years.

Well on the basis of what will not be available, I am not too hopeful about the slate matching my tastes.  I guess that we shall have to see......   

IP Logged

Reply #39 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 11:25pm

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Frank wrote on Jan 10th, 2012 at 10:04pm:
Well on the basis of what will not be available, I am not too hopeful about the slate matching my tastes.  I guess that we shall have to see

Trust me, Frank: if I get even half of what I'm planning, youll be there with one helluva smile spread across your face.

IP Logged

Reply #40 - Jan 11th, 2012 at 1:09am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

David the Projectionist wrote on Jan 10th, 2012 at 11:25pm:
Frank wrote on Jan 10th, 2012 at 10:04pm:
Well on the basis of what will not be available, I am not too hopeful about the slate matching my tastes.  I guess that we shall have to see

Trust me, Frank: if I get even half of what I'm planning, youll be there with one helluva smile spread across your face.

That's all I need to here, mano.

IP Logged

Reply #41 - Jan 11th, 2012 at 10:57am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

I just caught The Satan Bug on TCM for the first time in about 30 years or more.  It is a tight cold war/ germ warfare thriller from the 60's with a very recognizable cast of actors including George Maharis, Richard Basehart, Anne Francis, Dana Andrews, Ed Asner and many others. Directed by John Sturges, based on the Alistair MacLean screenplay by James Clavell, music by Jerry Goldsmith, Cinematography by Robert Surtees.

IP Logged

Reply #42 - Jan 11th, 2012 at 2:04pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

Frank wrote on Jan 11th, 2012 at 10:57am:
I just caught The Satan Bug on TCM for the first time in about 30 years or more.  It is a tight cold war/ germ warfare thriller from the 60's with a very recognizable cast of actors including George Maharis, Richard Basehart, Anne Francis, Dana Andrews, Ed Asner and many others. Directed by John Sturges, based on the Alistair MacLean screenplay by James Clavell, music by Jerry Goldsmith, Cinematography by Robert Surtees.   

i think that was a made for tv movie

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #43 - Jan 11th, 2012 at 2:40pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

kirok wrote on Jan 11th, 2012 at 2:04pm:
Frank wrote on Jan 11th, 2012 at 10:57am:

i think that was a made for tv movie

WRONG AGAIN!  THANKS FOR PLAYING THO...... It was not a real success but yes it was released theatrically, it was not made for television.  Maharis was trying to become a major movie star (he never made it) after leaving Route 66 in 1963.  He was replaced by Glenn Corbett for the last season.
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2012 at 5:21pm by Frank »  

IP Logged

Reply #44 - Jan 17th, 2012 at 9:04am

kirok   Offline
God Member

a recent overlooked gem 'the invention of lying" with rick gervais, jenniffer garner

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4