WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
IDEAS for SF/37 Feb.2012: 10th Victim and others (Read 45239 times)
Reply #15 - Jan 1st, 2012 at 6:55pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

give "cowboys vs. aliens" a shot. it was not a big hit but the marathon audience will typically give such a movie a boost. and from 2010, i still highly recommend "the book of eli".

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #16 - Jan 3rd, 2012 at 3:38pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

Attack the Block wasn't quite as good as the SXSW echo-chamber made it out to be, but it's still miles ahead of Another Earth.

I don't know what "necessary" would be from last year, although AtB is probably the best relatively-unseen movie from 2011.

A few festival favorites from last y ear that might be worth checking out:

* Detention, an energetic teen comedy/slasher spoof whose final act has a sci-fi twist that is not just delightfully silly, but actually pretty tight.

* Helldriver, the best of the recent Sushi Typhoon offerings, featuring some of the most creative gore work you'll see.

* Redline, an absolutely nutsoid animated space-race flick from Japan that even the anime-haters should enjoy:  It's fast-moving, full of strange creatures, and free of the leaden philosophizing that tends to drag many big-name anime movies down.

* Monster Brawl wasn't a particular favorite of mine, but it's a fun combination of Universal Monsters and pro wrestling.

* The Whisperer in Darkness is the second film from the local Lovecraft fans who made The Call of Cthulhu; they match the look and feel of movies from the time of the book's 1930s publication and make a pretty fun pulp horror/sci-fi pic.

* Haunters, last year's best superhero movie, is a South Korean take on Unbreakable that doesn't end just as things start getting interesting.

* Beyond the Black Rainbow has already been picked up by Magnet, and may be more a festival entry, but they're pretty good about using fests to promote their upcoming slate, and this is the sort of weird thing that has a big-screen look but is MUCH too weird to get a regular booking in 35mm.

IP Logged

Reply #17 - Jan 3rd, 2012 at 4:34pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

for 2012 the schedule needs some gravitas. there is a contingent of johnny come latelys and they need encouragement to make the marathon an annual ritual. my schedule is geared toward showing some faves that the die hards have seen before and the jcls would be enthralled by and thus make for a melding of the auduence.
here's my futile attempt. i have been pushing for these titles for many years.

Battle beyond the stars.
     Johnboy in space. it's a retelling of the magnificent 7 which is a retelling of the 7 samurai

ed wood (1994)
     long overdo. there's a scene portraying the meeting of ed wood and orson welles.

the man who fell to earth.
     the people who like david bowie's shlong in labyrinth will love this.

the man in the white suit
      rare quality from british sci-fi. starring alec guiness. about a scientist who invents a indestructable cloth.

the book of eli (2010)
      a sleeper hit for 2010. cannibals, gun fu, meat cleaver fu, shock ending. a cameo by a veteran actor is guranteed to bring the house down.

terminator 3
     bad box office but the marathon audience will give it a boost

cowboys and aliens
     ditto

star trek 5: where no man has gone before
     the success of star trek 2  at sf 35 should make it inevitable that all star trek installments (except for star trek 1) be eventually shown. this installment is highly underrated and was directed by william shatner.

rise of the planet of the apes
    i have held off on viewing this one in the hope that it appears on the schedule.

more later

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #18 - Jan 3rd, 2012 at 9:25pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

... and one anime, one feature from europe, and one family feature.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #19 - Jan 4th, 2012 at 11:07am

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

kirok wrote on Jan 3rd, 2012 at 4:34pm:
here's my futile attempt. i have been pushing for these titles for many years.
Battle beyond the stars.

Ran this turkey when it was released.  Barely remember it, but remember thinking it was pretty bad.

Quote:
ed wood

Terrible, inaccurate movie.  And it isnt SF.  But Martin Landau is marvellous.

Quote:
there's a scene portraying the meeting of ed wood and orson welles.

Yeah; I believe Vincent D'Onofrio plays Welles, & does a spectacular job at it.
     But I still think it's wrong for the marathon.

Quote:
the man who fell to earth

This fits, but Ive run & seen it a million times.  It shows its age (not that it matters).

Quote:
the man in the white suit

This is one of the best of the Ealing comedies, & a personal favourite.  Terrific movie!  Would love it if we got this, but youd really have to push because it isnt all that SFish.

Quote:
the book of eli (2010)

Havent seen.

Quote:
terminator 3

I ask for this every year!

Quote:
cowboys and aliens

Eh.  Sure, it would fit, but....

Quote:
star trek 5: where no man has gone before

Only when we can run it in 70mm (not that anything would help this turkey).

Quote:
this installment is highly underrated and was directed by william shatner.

If by "underrated" you mean people were able to make it through to the end without puking out their innards from the stupidity & rotten scripting, youd be right.  But this is the the absolute worst of the original cast movies.
     And youll notice that Shatner was never allowed to direct anything ever again.  Thankfully.  Because this one sucked.  A lot.

Quote:
rise of the planet of the apes

Havent seen it, but there are a lot of the original Apes movies that the marathon has never run.

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #20 - Jan 4th, 2012 at 2:05pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS played twice way back in the Orson Welles era. It's a lot of b movie fun with a script by John Sayles. STAR TREK V isn't that bad - but, that's hardly a bid endorsement - III or VI would be better picks from the original cast.

MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH has shockingly NEVER played the 'thon. I'm trying to rectify that oversight.

IP Logged

Reply #21 - Jan 4th, 2012 at 2:13pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Battle Beyond The Stars would probably play well at the thon but it is no great shakes.  John Sayles is not always on.....

Star Trek V.... it is pretty awful stuff, agreed that we can show III or IV.

Man Who Fell To Earth would most likely be for the die hards.  I enjoy the movie but it is not to everyone's taste.  I have not seen it in ages and would not mind seeing it again.  Provided of course that it is not buried at some awful hour. 

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #22 - Jan 4th, 2012 at 3:55pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

i saw trek 5 on opening day to a packed house at cleveland circle. we laughed at every joke and there were dozens of them. frankly i can't understaqnd the backlash. shatner directed and he had kirk spock and bones hogging the camera. just like the original series. i think it gets a bad rap mainly in order to preserve that odd number curse.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #23 - Jan 4th, 2012 at 6:00pm

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

L.A. Connection wrote on Jan 4th, 2012 at 2:05pm:
STAR TREK V isn't that bad

If by "isnt that bad" you mean "blows chunks," youre on the money!

Quote:
III or VI would be better picks from the original cast.

I consider III to be just squeaking above V in its level of awfulness.  IV, on the other hand, is just fine.
     These are all available in 70, by the way: they recently ran at a theatre in LA.

Quote:
MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH has shockingly NEVER played the 'thon. I'm trying to rectify that oversight.

*Sigh*   Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Reply #24 - Jan 4th, 2012 at 6:11pm

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

kirok wrote on Jan 4th, 2012 at 3:55pm:
i saw trek 5 on opening day to a packed house at cleveland circle.

And I saw it opening day in 70mm at the 57!  Whats your point?  Does it matter to the quality of the movie when & where one saw it?
     "I saw The Postman on opening day, & it was so much better back then, as compared to when I watch it now."
     No.  Angry

Quote:
frankly i can't understand the backlash.

It's not a "backlash," it's a reaction to how much the movie sucks!
     Here are examples:
     a)  The United States's reputation is suffering in the Middle East due to a backlash brought on by its repressive, democracy-destroying policies.
     b)  I had a visceral reaction when watching Star Trek V, when I all but asphyxiated when trying to swallow how incompetently it was written & directed.

Quote:
i think it gets a bad rap mainly in order to preserve that odd number curse.

No, it gets a bad rep because it's terrible!

IP Logged

Reply #25 - Jan 4th, 2012 at 6:14pm

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Frank wrote on Jan 4th, 2012 at 2:13pm:
Battle Beyond The Stars would probably play well at the thon but it is no great shakes.  John Sayles is not always on.....

Too right!  Ever seen Lianna?

Quote:

If we could just cross out that III.....

Quote:
Man Who Fell To Earth would most likely be for the die hards.  I enjoy the movie but it is not to everyone's taste.  I have not seen it in ages and would not mind seeing it again.  Provided of course that it is not buried at some awful hour.

Also provided that we can find a decent print.

IP Logged

Reply #26 - Jan 4th, 2012 at 6:51pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Quote:

If we could just cross out that III.....

Actually, I always felt that IV was not all that great.  The whole whales thing and all the cute crap with them traveling back in time to our time.  PUH-LEASE.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #27 - Jan 4th, 2012 at 7:35pm

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Frank wrote on Jan 4th, 2012 at 6:51pm:
Actually, I always felt that IV was not all that great.  The whole whales thing and all the cute crap with them traveling back in time to our time.  PUH-LEASE.

Agreed.  But it's still better than III.

IP Logged

Reply #28 - Jan 4th, 2012 at 9:09pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

David the Projectionist wrote on Jan 4th, 2012 at 6:00pm:

These are all available in 70, by the way: they recently ran at a theatre in LA.

Actually, at least one of the films in the 70mm TREK series got shown in 35mm since a 70mm print was 'unavailable' (I believe it was the original STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE).

That said, my vote would be for VI: THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY in 70mm.

If only we had a venue for the Marathon that could project 70mm..................

IP Logged

Reply #29 - Jan 4th, 2012 at 11:39pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Undiscovered Country has a lot of goofy moments but then it IS Star Trek.  However, it has a lot going for it and it too would be fun.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4