WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
IDEAS for SF/37 Feb.2012: 10th Victim and others (Read 45197 times)
Dec 1st, 2011 at 1:14pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

My usual annual pleas.   

The Tenth Victim - in italiano ma con sottotitolo in inglese. 

The Day the Earth Caught Fire

There are many others of course but these will do for a start.

////////
title modified for thread clarity -admin.

« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 2012 at 5:54pm by L.A. Connection »  

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 9:02pm

Caleb451   Offline
NYC

Isn't there a print of Rollerball floating around somewhere?

Dinner break? What's a dinner break?
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 9:11pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Caleb451 wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 9:02pm:

Which version - James Caan or the LL Cool J? 

Grin Grin Grin

And, yes, believe it or not, the 1975 original has never been shown at the Marathon.

Yes, our Ohio bretheren showed the original 1975 version just a couple of years back. (and, I know of a local private print, too)

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 9:25pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

there's your theme. evil corporations run amok. rollerball, man who fell to earth, alien 2, outland, the adjustment bureau, the presidents analyst, battle for the planet of the apes.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 9:53pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

You might want to post your requests on the Boston Sci-Fi facebook as I am told that G rarely checks our board.  Dunno if that is true but it would not hurt to re-post your suggestions on that page.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 11:49pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Frank wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 9:53pm:
You might want to post your requests on the Boston Sci-Fi facebook as I am told that G rarely checks our board.  Dunno if that is true but it would not hurt to re-post your suggestions on that page.

No, it's true: Garen NEVER reads this board.  Ever.

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 11:55pm

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

L.A. Connection wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 9:11pm:
Caleb451 wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 9:02pm:

yes, believe it or not, the 1975 original has never been shown at the Marathon.

Maybe because it SUCKS?

Quote:
Yes, our Ohio bretheren showed the original 1975 version just a couple of years back. (and, I know of a local private print, too)

It will be red due to colour fading.  Having run that awful print of Blade Runner a couple of years back, as well as the equally-awful looking print of The Stepford Wives, & last year's print of The Last Woman on Earth, I'd like to avoid faded prints, if we can.  Just to be professional.
     And Rollerball still blows chunks.  It's even more dated than Brainstorm.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 11:58pm

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Frank wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 1:14pm:
The Tenth Victim

Fun movie, Frank!  The music composed for it, The Spiral Waltz?, just terrific.
     Of course, it wont be a picnic trying to find a print that hasnt faded.  You might have to get one from an Italian archive, & I dont see Garen going through that kind of trouble.

Quote:
The Day the Earth Caught Fire

Never seen this.
     At some point soon, I'll e-mail my list of requests to Garen, & he will, as he always does, ignore them.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Dec 2nd, 2011 at 12:47am

Caleb451   Offline
NYC

Joe, Was that Rollerball print red and faded? Did the film indeed blow chunks? I'm curious to know how the Ohio crowd greeted the film.

Dinner break? What's a dinner break?
IP Logged

Reply #9 - Dec 2nd, 2011 at 5:11am

Rich Bartlett   Offline

The Extraordinary Voyage a documentary about the recent restoration of the first science-fiction film, A Trip to The Moon, might be nice to see.

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Dec 4th, 2011 at 8:58pm

Joe Neff   Offline

Caleb451 wrote on Dec 2nd, 2011 at 12:47am:
Joe, Was that Rollerball print red and faded? Did the film indeed blow chunks? I'm curious to know how the Ohio crowd greeted the film.

The Rollerball print that played Columbus in 2009 was reasonably faded, but it was by no means red.  I'm fairly critical of print conditions, and that screening didn't bug me one bit.

Gauging the crowd's take on the film is somewhat futile, as it played very late at night when most folks were asleep (it's deliberate pacing didn't serve as much motivation to fight that urge.)  As for me?  I L-O-V-E Rollerball!  James Caan in his prime, a grim and moody tone, corporations controlling the population through violent sports...yeah, it's right in my wheelhouse. 

Are the costumes and some of the production design dated?  Sure.  But so what!  I'd get into the whole "viewing a film in the context of its time" debate, but from what snatches of that (ahem) conversation I've seen on this board it's a pissing match that I have no interest in entering.

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Dec 5th, 2011 at 10:15am

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Joe Neff wrote on Dec 4th, 2011 at 8:58pm:
The Rollerball print that played Columbus in 2009 was reasonably faded, but it was by no means red.

Oh, so it's past the second phase of fading & well on its way!
     Sounds close to red to me!

Quote:
James Caan in his prime, a grim and moody tone, corporations controlling the population through violent sports...yeah, it's right in my wheelhouse.

Good message in a bad movie!

Quote:
I'd get into the whole "viewing a film in the context of its time" debate, but from what snatches of that (ahem) conversation I've seen on this board it's a pissing match that I have no interest in entering.

As Spock said in Wrath O Khan: "That is wise."  Wink

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Dec 5th, 2011 at 12:13pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

yes. let's use the term "holds up well" and "still quite relevent to today's world"
like the carnival murder scene in strangers on a train

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #13 - Dec 5th, 2011 at 5:27pm

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

kirok wrote on Dec 5th, 2011 at 12:13pm:
yes. let's use the term "holds up well" and "still quite relevent to today's world"
like the carnival murder scene in strangers on a train

Sure!  And lets pretend those terms apply to any movie we care to pull out of a hat, no matter how dated it may seem
like the leaden, plodding pacing of Strangers on a Train.  Why, Bruno, how you do go on....

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Jan 1st, 2012 at 5:56pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Since we seem to "have" to show at least one 2011 film at the Marathon, what shall it be?

I'd say RISE OF THE APES is the best SF film of the past year, but is it really necessary to show this soon? Heck, I'd rather see ESCAPE FROM THE PLANET OF THE APES which has still never shown despite being the best of the original APES sequels.

ATTACK THE BLOCK would be a more interesting choice since so few actually saw it. I had my reservations about it, but it would go over well with the crowd (as opposed to something like MELANCHOLIA or ANOTHER EARTH which are better films, but would probably not work in this situation).

I also liked ADJUSTMENT BUREAU and SOURCE CODE, but, again, are they "necessary" to show?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4